Robin Williams Dead

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:there is clinical depression which is also not a simple case of becoming demoralized because of life events.

both clinical and situational depression can be helped by drugs.

I have been cronically depressed my whole life. Ratio of about 15% clinical and 85% situational\life events\trauma etc.

I take 2 anti depressants and 3 anti anxiety drugs which combine do help but I still get depressed with constant suicidal thoughts, as I have my whole life. Drugs are not the whole answer to everything. Takes a combination of drugs, therapy, will, and family support and friends. Without the will though, nothing else works for long. When people decide they have just had enough, that they do not have the will to fight any more, then its over. I know it will be for me.
We are very quick to judge people who commit suicide. My understanding is that it is to end the pain.

We also label people. That is not so good either.

I have also heard that suicide is a selfish choice, unmindful or caring of the ones left behind. Well, It seems to me that it would be selfish of those left behind to want their loved one to continue on in pain. When my father was near death, I was with him every day, for part of the day. He was unconscious but hanging on for three days at the end, tough as nails. My girlfriend, a health worker, told me to tell him that it was OK to go. I hadn't thought of it that way. I told him it was OK to go. And he went shortly after. Whatever is best for the one who is suffering.

Words do not do much to help. Nothing I can say can help, KIA, but I do wish you well in your ongoing struggle.
thank you :rockin:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:there is clinical depression which is also not a simple case of becoming demoralized because of life events.
Absolutely. There are biochemical and neurophysiological underpinnings to many instances of unipolar depression too. And, as you say, drugs can help. The SSRI class of drugs has lifted millions out of depression. What struck me as different about Robin Williams was his manic side--manifested in much of his work. From this, I assumed he was bipolar. For bipolars, antidepressants are very risky and not prescribed.

KnowItAll, I hope you have strong support structures in place. And I know all of us wish you the best in your struggles.
thank you as well.

boy I tell ya, its just not gonna be the same without mork in this world.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back