Need some advice

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ok, memorabilia buffs, what would you do?

I am clearing up stuff. Planning to move sometime this year. I have a bit stuff here. I just came across about 30 CFL Illustrated Magazines collected at games over the years. They range in ages from the early to the mid 80's. Most are in decent shape and have a lot of great covers including Mervin Fernandez, Matt Dunnigan, Conridge Holloway, Bernie Ruoff etc. etc.

I also have a limited number of Canucks Programs including Game 4 of the 1982 Playoff Run, the Canucks Inaugural 1970-71 yearbook signed by Andre Boudrias . (Orland Kurtenbach's son was in my grade 1 class.) so we all got to go to a practice.

Also have a complete set of 1988 Olympic Pins from the Calgary Winter Olympics. These were the ones that you would collect at Shell Stations.

I'm not sure what to do with these? If there a market for them, a storefront for memorabilia out there somewhere.

Any suggestions?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir P, I would think there are collectors who would like to have them.

craigslist? It might work.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Hey Sir P.

I would suggest putting them up for bid on Ebay. Truthfully though, I don't know that you're going to get much for the CFL Illustrated mags. They're probably not old enough to be worth anything to true CFL collectors, but you never know.

I might be interested in your 1970-71 Canucks yearbook, depending on its condition. I own one, but it's not in the best shape (cool that you went to school with Kurtenbach's son! A lot of the players lived in North Van in those days).

Couldn't tell you much about the Olympic pins, but at least with Ebay, you're casting a wider net. Craigslist is limited to the local market (you may try Craigslist Calgary I suppose). Kajiji is another free option.

https://www.kijiji.ca/h-vancouver/1700287

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had kind of hoped that there might be an easier path but you are probably both on the right track. I do a lot of Craigslist stuff but I haven't really sold on Ebay but maybe for the PIns, it is worth a try.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

You could consign with a local auctioneer. That would likely be the least amount of work on your part but would result in the biggest dent to your earnings with the seller's premium and how active the audience is.

Able Auctions has occasional online auctions of sports collectibles and they seem to draw fairly substantial "crowds" (online and in person). I have also purchased some Lions items from Canuck Auctions. The advantage of those 2 is they participate in an online live auction service called LiveAuctionWorld. They might be willing to accept a consignment from you.

So I guess if you want to do as little as needed, that might be a viable option. Otherwise eBay, Craigslist and Kijiji. Kijiji has the option for buyers to search the entire province at once and not just particular cities.
Bub Neamer
prospect

Hello. Just wondering if you still had those BC Lions programs to give away? I know it was a while ago.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I've been mulling the same thing Sir P. I have quite an extensive collection of Lions and CFL stuff including game helmets and jerseys, GC programs and tickets for the last 35 I've attended as well as a few more from the 60s and 70s. NHL Guides from the 40s right up to curent year. Boxes of Hockey News from late 70s to mid 80s and a whole bunch of books I bought along the way.

I'm thinking eBay but that isn't a realistic option for me until I either get extended work in PG or get into at least semi-retirement mode. Tough to earn a rep as a reliable eBay seller if I can't ship things for a couple weeks after an auction closes.

Another option might be to keep your ears open for Antiques and Collectibles shows. The Hospice Society in PG runs 2 every year. One in the spring and one in late September. If I'm in town and happen to remember I try to swing through it to see if there's anything sports related. I've picked up a few things at it over the years but have never seen a table that was all sports. There might also still be the odd Sports Card show although they seem to have gone the way of the dodo since the sports card craze died in the early 90s. If you have enough stuff it could be worth buying a table especially to a sp
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Just to follow up on my post after I submitted it I Googled Vancouver Sports Collectors Shows and came across www.bossashows.com. They indicate they organize monthly shows at the Bonsor Rec Complex in Burnaby. Next one is next Sunday April 15. Might be worth swinging by for some recon to see what if any market there is for your stuff either to sell at a future show or perhaps to one of the collectors there.

One thing to keep in mind though is to not overvalue stuff. Folks who are in the business at those shows are like the guys on Pawn Stars and the pickers shows. They are only interested in paying a price that allows them to resell it and make a profit.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Hi Hambone. I've gone to those shows not a lot of CFL mostly nhl MLB etc. I know of a couple of collectors buyers etc. They have been very fair with me selling my collection off the past few years. I can steer you in their direction if you like. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Bub Neamer
prospect

I would be interested in buying vintage BC LIons items I need for my collection if anyone wants to sell. Thanks
David
Team Captain

Same. Anything from the 1960s and 1970s. Thanks!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

I will throw my hat in the ring as well. I am particularly looking for a couple of Quarterback Club patches I need to complete my collection of those. But I am always on the lookout for interesting Lions stuff.
Thanks