Which player wore my 60s jersey?

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

fasinfrank
prospect

i have a 1960s bc lions game worn jersey. Was wondering if anyone could tell me which player wore it?

Number 64...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT
David
Team Captain

Yes, that is a 1963 home jersey worn by Mike Martin.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
fasinfrank
prospect

Thank you so much

Was wondering if anyone knew also the deal with this satin jacket?

Wondering if it is a game worn jacket or just a souvenir piece.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

fasinfrank wrote:Thank you so much

Was wondering if anyone knew also the deal with this satin jacket?

Wondering if it is a game worn jacket or just a souvenir piece.
I have one. Picked it up from a thrift store for 10.00. Mine has a B.C. Lion office employees name on the sleeve so now Im known as Kenny if I wear it out. Id like to buy the sideline jacket you have on Ebay. Very cool. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Yes, that is a 1963 home jersey worn by Mike Martin.

DH

He was such an underrated lineman. Dick Fouts got all the glory with his sacks but Mike Martin did all the dirty work by playing contain.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
David wrote:Yes, that is a 1963 home jersey worn by Mike Martin.

DH

He was such an underrated lineman. Dick Fouts got all the glory with his sacks but Mike Martin did all the dirty work by playing contain.
Lionking, Did u see the posts on you by Mike Beamish?

Mike Martin was one of the very solid players out of Washington State University back then. Fouts was one of the characters in the game much like Garrett Hunsperger and Bud Magrum or way back Ed Sharkey who I recall getting into a fight in what as a big shiny diner on Marine Drive in NV opposite the Avalon - the Capilano Grill. He also got tossed and I recall him walking around the track at Empire heading to the Lions dressing room after a game punch up.

Martin was a rock solid player.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Big Bill Frank was a brawler back in the day too. He punched the hell out of a teammate outside a Vancouver watering hole one night. Can't remember the player's name he beat up though (Pat Claridge maybe?). I think he challenged Bill after the two had words, they went outside and it was quickly over - which led to Bill's expulsion. A Vancouver cab driver gave me the whole story a couple of years ago. He was there.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BCLions4Ever
Rookie

Mike Martin was an import Defensive Tackle. Played 1962 - 1968. In 1963 he is listed at 6' 3", 230 lbs and 23 years old. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago.

The jersey design was actually in use from 1960 to 1964. There is a slight possibility that it was worn by Mel SEMENKO, also a DT (1961), or Dave BARRUS DE (1960). More likely this was Martin's jersey. This jersey style was worn by the Lions in the second half of the 1964 Grey Cup game in Toronto.
Mike_Martin_1963_0001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Headhunter64
prospect

Do you have the 64 jersey?
Headhunter64
prospect

Mike Martin was my dad. Would you be willing to part with the jersey? Name your price?