PROPOSED WHITECAPS STADIUM OPEN HOUSES

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

PROPOSED WHITECAPS WATERFRONT STADIUM
OPEN HOUSES MARCH 6-11
The City of Vancouver is sponsoring four open houses between March 6-11th, inviting the public?s input into the proposed waterfront stadium. Your opinion matters!

The stadium would serve as the home for the Vancouver Whitecaps, and also function as a multi-purpose outdoor stadium that could host community festivals, concerts, tennis and rugby matches and numerous smaller events year round. With a starting base of 15,000 seats and the potential to expand to 30,000 seats, the facility would provide another gathering place for locals and visitors alike, with a backdrop of the Burrard Inlet and the North Shore mountains.

Detailed information regarding the site, including renderings, and studies can be seen by clicking http://www.whitecapsnewstadium.com

Please make a concerted effort to drop in and register your opinions. If you are not able to make the open houses, your comments can be emailed directly to:

Kevin McNaney
Planner, Central Area Planning
kevin.mcnaney@vancouver.ca

Public Open House Dates and Locations

Monday, March 6, 2 ? 8 pm
W Room at Woodward?s, 101 West Hastings Street
Tuesday, March 7, 3 - 8 pm
Storyeum Lobby, 142 Water Street
Wednesday, March 8, 2 ? 8 pm
Harbour Centre Lobby (Hastings Entrance), 555 West Hastings Street
Saturday, March 11, 10 am ? 4 pm
VPL, Central Branch Promenade, 350 West Georgia Street
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I just attended the one at VPL. I liked the board that explained which portions of the landscape view will be preserved. The north shore mountains can still be seen from many vantage points.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Was anything said about the Lions?
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Was anything said about the Lions?
No.
Sharpo

In seattle, there is a stadium for everything, why not up here?? :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Sharpo wrote:In seattle, there is a stadium for everything, why not up here?? :wink:
Well, not exactly. I believe your statement is rather inaccurate because of two reasons. The Seattle Sounders soccer club share large Qwest Field with the Seattle Seahawks. While in the past, the Sounders have played in two other small stadiums, one in the Seattle Center area (Memorial Stadium) and another in Renton. But for the last two years, Qwest Field has also been the home of the Sounders. While in Vancouver, Swangard Stadium is not used for any of the other Vancouver-based sports teams - only the Whitecaps.

And if you consider the WHL, then it's also Vancouver that has its own stadium. The Vancouver Giants play at the Pacific Coliseum and they have it all to themselves. But the Seattle Thunderbirds share Key Arena with the Seattle Supersonics. So if anything, it's Vancouver that has its own stadiums for its sports teams, while Seattle shares two stadiums.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Sharpo wrote:In seattle, there is a stadium for everything, why not up here?? :wink:
Well, not exactly. The Seattle Sounders soccer club share large Qwest Field with the Seattle Seahawks. And in the past, the Sounders have played in two other small stadiums, one in the Seattle Center area (Memorial Stadium) and another in Renton. But for the last two years, Qwest Field has been the home of the Sounders.

And if you consider the WHL, the it's Vancouver that has its own stadium in this particular sense. The Vancouver Giants play at the Pacific Coliseum. But the Seattle Thunderbirds share Key Arena with the Seattle Supersonics.
KeyArena is owned by the City of Seattle, therefore, they probably won't charge as much rent as say, Orca Bay would.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Well, not exactly. The Seattle Sounders soccer club share large Qwest Field with the Seattle Seahawks. And in the past, the Sounders have played in two other small stadiums, one in the Seattle Center area (Memorial Stadium) and another in Renton. But for the last two years, Qwest Field has been the home of the Sounders.

And if you consider the WHL, the it's Vancouver that has its own stadium in this particular sense. The Vancouver Giants play at the Pacific Coliseum. But the Seattle Thunderbirds share Key Arena with the Seattle Supersonics.
KeyArena is owned by the City of Seattle, therefore, they probably won't charge as much rent as say, Orca Bay would.
Having Key Arena owned by the city of Seattle likely presents more problems than what private ownership would. Just look at the situation with Key Arena and the Sonics now.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Having Key Arena owned by the city of Seattle likely presents more problems than what private ownership would. Just look at the situation with Key Arena and the Sonics now.
Your comparing the NBA with the WHL....2 completely different levels of sports.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:
Your comparing the NBA with the WHL....2 completely different levels of sports.
Are you referring to the "sharing" of the stadiums or the "problems" associated with the ownership of the stadiums?

If you are referring to the "sharing" part, I understand the NBA and WHL are on totally different levels. The same thing applies to the NFL and the A-League teams that share Qwest Field. But my point was to dispel Sharpo's statement about how Seattle has a stadium for each of its teams. Because it is actually Vancouver that has a stadium exclusively for each of its city sports teams, be it professional, semi-professional, or junior.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

There are a number of cities throughout North America that have one facility for each of its prominent teams. Philadelphia comes to mind.
Eagles - Lincoln Field
Flyers - Wachovia Center
Phantoms - Wachovia Spectrum
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:There are a number of cities throughout North America that have one facility for each of its prominent teams. Philadelphia comes to mind.
Eagles - Lincoln Field
Flyers - Wachovia Center
Phantoms - Wachovia Spectrum
Phillies - Citizens Bank Park
AHEM! You are wrong about Philadelphia. Both the Philadelphia Flyers of the NHL and the Philadelphia 76ers of the NBA share Wachovia Center.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Both the Philadelphia Flyers of the NHL and the Philadelphia 76ers of the NBA share Wachovia Center.
The vast majority of cities that have both an NBA and NHL team use the same stadium for both teams. I guess hockey and basketball stadiums were simply suited for each other. A notable exception is the city of Detroit, where the Pistons play at the Palace of Auburn Hills while the Red Wings play at Joe Louis Arena.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Robbie wrote:Both the Philadelphia Flyers of the NHL and the Philadelphia 76ers of the NBA share Wachovia Center.
The vast majority of cities that have both an NBA and NHL team use the same stadium for both teams. I guess hockey and basketball stadiums were simply suited for each other. A notable exception is the city of Detroit, where the Pistons play at the Palace of Auburn Hills while the Red Wings play at Joe Louis Arena.
And the Panthers and Heat play at different arenas as will the Suns and Coyotes...still whats the point you are trying to make here?
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:
Robbie wrote:
And the Panthers and Heat play at different arenas as will the Suns and Coyotes...still whats the point you are trying to make here?
That there are currently very few cities that have a stadium exclusively for each of its sports teams as most cities have to share and double up for their sports teams. Vancouver is one of those cities that actually use a different stadium for each of its sports teams.