PROPOSED WHITECAPS STADIUM OPEN HOUSES

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Yank In BC wrote:
Robbie wrote: The vast majority of cities that have both an NBA and NHL team use the same stadium for both teams. I guess hockey and basketball stadiums were simply suited for each other. A notable exception is the city of Detroit, where the Pistons play at the Palace of Auburn Hills while the Red Wings play at Joe Louis Arena.
And the Panthers and Heat play at different arenas as will the Suns and Coyotes...still whats the point you are trying to make here?
That there are currently very few cities that have a stadium exclusively for each of its sports teams as most cities have to share and double up for their sports teams. Vancouver is one of those cities that actually use a different stadium for each of its sports teams.
And all of your examples are NBA/NHL. If the NBA were to come back then invalid point, the NBA would also moce into GM Place.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Yank In BC wrote:And the Panthers and Heat play at different arenas as will the Suns and Coyotes...still whats the point you are trying to make here?
That there are currently very few cities that have a stadium exclusively for each of its sports teams as most cities have to share and double up for their sports teams. Vancouver is one of those cities that actually use a different stadium for each of its sports teams.
And all of your examples are NBA/NHL. If the NBA were to come back then invalid point, the NBA would also moce into GM Place.
That's true. Vancouver shared a stadium until the Grizzlies moved out of town. My postings were simply responses to those made by Sharpo and Canuck_4_Life about how very few cities have stadiums exclusively for each of its sports teams.
Sharpo

Vancouver city council won't do anything unless they can keep that particular venue going as much as possible (confrences, games, monster truck shows, everything)

No way will they approve a stadium this small. Makes no sense.

As a sidenote, why are the lions not proposing a 45 thousand seat stadium of their own ?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Sharpo wrote:Vancouver city council won't do anything unless they can keep that particular venue going as much as possible (confrences, games, monster truck shows, everything)

No way will they approve a stadium this small. Makes no sense.
You may have a point as there are limited events that can be held in an outdoor stadium that is exposed to the cold and rain. In Seattle, monster truck shows are held in the suburban Tacoma Dome. And if the Key Arena becomes too busy for indoor events, then the suburban Everett Events Center is used.

The Whitecaps will have to convince the city why they really need the new stadium instead of remaining at Swangard stadium or possibly moving into BC Place if capacity is the issue.
Sharpo

Vancouver council will be looking for best bang for vancouver buck

They will also look at BC Lions attendence gates, I'm sure

No point building a 30,000 seat stadium if you're going to be turning guys away by 2010! (well, heres hoping)

:)
120dB
Legend

When are we going to get an indication whether the city will approve the Waterfront Stadium? Time is of essence as I hear they want to have it finished by 2009.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:When are we going to get an indication whether the city will approve the Waterfront Stadium? Time is of essence as I hear they want to have it finished by 2009.
Assuming that the Waterfront Stadium is built and completed by 2009, I wonder if there's a possibility that the 2010 Winter Olympics organizers would want to move the opening ceremonies into that stadium. Obviously, the attendance will be decreased, but at least it can accommodate the cauldron that we discussed earlier. The cauldron must burn outdoors, and those in attendance should be able to witness the live lighting of it.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

So sue me for being wrong and ignoring the Numbnut Basketball Association............. :twisted:
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

So sue me for being wrong and ignoring the Numbnut Basketball Association.............
Why do we need comments like this? I'm not A HUGE fan, but some people here may enjoy the NBA. It's no different than an NFL fan putting down the CFL... :x
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It seems like more than a few people in Gastown are opposed to the new stadium idea.

---------------------------------------
Gastown stadium foes go on the offensive
Last updated May 3 2006 02:25 PM PDT
CBC News

A group of Gastown residents and neighbourhood associations has launched a campaign against a proposed soccer stadium on the Vancouver waterfront.

The new stadium would be built over the railway
tracks along the Vancouver waterfront. (CBC)
The Vancouver Whitecaps want to build a 15,000-seat stadium over the existing railroad tracks east of the SeaBus terminal.

The Whitecaps, who currently play their home games at Burnaby's Swangard Stadium, say the new facility could also be used for other sports as well as concerts.

They also argue that the stadium will help revitalize Gastown and the Downtown Eastside.

"This is a neighbourhood. We know one another, we meet one another," said Carol Sill of the Gastown Residents Association.

"A stadium like this, planned as it is, looks like it was just photo-shopped in. It doesn't relate to the area in any way."

John Stovell of the Gastown Neighbourhood Coalition said two other large sports facilities ? B.C. Place and General Motors Place ? are close by, and and have done little to boost local business.

"These stadiums have had very little positive impact. People tend to come to the stadium in a car, go into the stadium, buy a $75-hamburger, leave the stadium and go home."

Vancouver city council will hear delegations in June before making a decision on the stadium.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

John Stovell of the Gastown Neighbourhood Coalition said two other large sports facilities ? B.C. Place and General Motors Place ? are close by, and and have done little to boost local business.

"These stadiums have had very little positive impact. People tend to come to the stadium in a car, go into the stadium, buy a $75-hamburger, leave the stadium and go home."
These people are so naive. Leaving aside the stupid comment about the $75 hamburger, you think they would have read about how the bars and restaurants near GM Place and B.C. Place benefit from game crowds, or seen how many people take SkyTrain to events at those locations, or buses to downtown and walk the final few blocks. Gastown is dying for lack of local busines outside of tourist season. This could help revitalize the area.
David
Team Captain

wrote:"It doesn't relate to the area in any way."
Neither do bums asking for spare change and harrassing tourists down there, but we seem to put up with them. :roll:
wrote:John Stovell of the Gastown Neighbourhood Coalition said two other large sports facilities ? B.C. Place and General Motors Place ? are close by, and have done little to boost local business.

Excuse me? Weren't merchants and bars and restaurants recently crying in their beer that the Canucks' early spring was going to cost the local economy $3 million a game? I am assuming a 15,000 seat venue in the GNC's back yard might not hurt the local economy. :roll:
wrote:"These stadiums have had very little positive impact. People tend to come to the stadium in a car, go into the stadium, buy a $75-hamburger, leave the stadium and go home."

Holy stereotype Batman! Like none of the 80,000 people living downtown is going to walk to the new stadium? They're ALL coming from the 'burbs in their gas-guzzling SUVs? Isn't this supposed to be North America's most transit-friendly stadium too. :?

He's got it all wrong. I think a new stadium is exactly what this moribund area needs. Sure, the Woodwards complex is going to change things. But right now it's predominantly a collection of tacky trinket shops and rather run-down Indian carpet stores that tourists are starting to avoid. This new stadium will give the area some vitality and a local businesses a shot in the arm. Bars and restaurants like the Irish Heather will flourish on the event nights.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
bc49
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:The Whitecaps will have to convince the city why they really need the new stadium instead of remaining at Swangard stadium or possibly moving into BC Place if capacity is the issue.
I tend to disagree with that somewhat. What the Whitecaps primarily need to do is convince the City of Vancouver and its residents that they need this new stadium rather than any assortment of reasons the Whitecaps do. Any tangible, multi faceted benefits to the city are much more digestable to the masses than one mans or one teams ambitions.
And the stadium supporters have done an excellent job of just that to the point where I haven't heard a single promo of this development without hearing of the added benefit of international events, concerts and various other outdoor events.

To be sure that goes down a lot better than Kerfoot coming out and saying he needs this stadium so he can dump 90% of his current roster and jump to MLS - which he would have likely succeeded at already if not for the lack of a sizeable soccer specific stadium in this town. (and which is also a very strong pre-req for any MLS expansion; of note Toronto)

It is also interesting to note that of all the recently built mid-sized soccer specific stadia currently in the MLS none are near the downtown core of their respective cities. The lone exception is the under construction stadium in Toronto.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

bc49 wrote:To be sure that goes down a lot better than Kerfoot coming out and saying he needs this stadium so he can dump 90% of his current roster and jump to MLS - which he would have likely succeeded at already if not for the lack of a sizeable soccer specific stadium in this town. (and which is also a very strong pre-req for any MLS expansion; of note Toronto)
Ahhhhh....a return to the glory days of the NASL? I wonder how much better attendance would be if the Whitecaps were in the MLS.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like Tuesday, June 27 will be judgment day as that is when Vancouver City Council will decide on the stadium.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 43f7806d6e