Patriots/Broncs

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

The " fumble " on the 102 yard return

Did it go out inside the goal area
57%
Did it go out outside the goal area
43%

Total votes: 7
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I'm curious what others thought about Bailey's int return and where people thought it went out inside or outside the goal area?

Edited: To Bailey
Last edited by Blue In BC on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rammer
Team Captain

I first thought that it went through the endzone and was very close, but that angle from directly behind sure made it look impossible for it to have done so. Now since they couldn't really give a difinitive answer, doesn't the default go to the call on the field.

The one where the Pats did get jobbed, was the PI call on the later than late flag from the backfield judge, that one was a terrible call.
Entertainment value = an all time low
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

I thinkt it went out inside. you have to remember the goal line goes straight up to infinity and even if it went out directly over the peg, that's still condiered the endzone. The angle they showed was skewed because it was not head on...I don;t think the angle directly behind showed amythimg either way. i was looking for shadows, but couldn's see one.

That said the replays we saw were inconclusive, and the refs had no choice to keep the ruling on the field.

I agree though, the call on Samuel was BRUTAL and if anything should have been offensive PI.

Another question, how many people think the call final play by Boulware in the Seattle game would have been called PI by a CFL offical? (Incorrectly I might add).
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
CB123
Legend

if that was a touchback, that would have been like the greatest play ever! It was so awesome when I saw the highlights.

I wanted the Pats to win... :sigh:
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Boulware was less "touchy" then Mobley was on Simon in the WDF.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote:I thinkt it went out inside. you have to remember the goal line goes straight up to infinity and even if it went out directly over the peg, that's still condiered the endzone.

I understand that. But if you stood right at the sideline with your right arm forward, it would difficult to push it out directly over the peg. Add the velocity of Bailey and it makes you go hmmmm.

OTOH, I can see that the replays were not definitive enough to over rule the call on the field.

It would have been difficult to judge unless a ref was right at the flag instead of trailing to the inside.

Tough break for the Patriots because I think it was an error. In defense of the refs, I'm not sure that they can be blamed for this particular error.

I do think they were at fault for the Brady 2nd forward pass as a result of not blowing the 1st one dead as an incomplete.

Can you imagine what would have happened if the 2nd was int'd and returned for a TD, considering that the play wasn't blown dead?

Excuse us Denver, the TD doesn't count. We were supposed to blow the play dead 10 seconds ago. Sorry. Patriots ball.
LFITQ
Team Captain

I thought it went out through the endzone - but nothing concrete to support it as the camera angles weren't there and it being 2 dimensional and all. Would have been nice to have a camera on the goalline to show it but why would they have a camera setup down there when the play is at the other end of the field.

However, when I first looked at the replay I wasn't sure if ti might have actually been a TD first as his foot was touching the pylon - just not sure if he had control at that time ...

The bottom line on that play tho is that it was a dumb pass attempt by Brady.

As for the PI - that was a purrfect example of Offensive pass interference that I bet will be used to educate the refs in the off season.

That is also another reason why, I feel, that some penalties should be reviewable under video replay. Afterall, it is the penalties that seem to drive fans crazy rather than some of the other calls by the refs.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??