ST Prices 2011?

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

.G.
All Star

So looks like we're on the hook for the new roof for the next few seasons...my old seats before moving to empire were in section 417 row B and cost me under $600 for a pair all in. If I want my seats again for 2011 it's $900 WITHOUT taxes and fees for the pair!?

Looks like I won't be able to afford those.

Hope I can snag a single game Grey Cup ticket.

Anyone else slightly shocked by the prices or were you expecting the huge raise?
MABEY!
ik17
Rookie

If you're looking at the chart on the website that's not what you pay, renewing season ticket holders pay less. You have to wait for your renewal invoice or give them a call. There was a big difference on mine between the price on the site and what I actually paid.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Assuming you had tickets at Empire, you should be paying somewhere around $430/seat after taxes.

BC Pavco project = BC government = BC taxpayers paying the bill.

Lions have no financial burden on them for the roof. Although they are the primary benefactors of the new retractable roof and renovated BC Place.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

ik17 wrote:If you're looking at the chart on the website that's not what you pay, renewing season ticket holders pay less. You have to wait for your renewal invoice or give them a call. There was a big difference on mine between the price on the site and what I actually paid.
My renewal notice said you only get a renewal discount if you had STs in not just 2010 but also 2009, and there were also words to the effect that the renewal discount they've offered the last several seasons would eventually be phased out in the next few years so that everyone would pay the same amount for a given seating section.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Are there children's prices for season's tickets?

Cheers,

James
I don't think so. I believe they last tried that in the Comrie era.

How would they enforce that, though? What would stop someone from buying a lower-priced child's season ticket with their own and then using it to invite, say, a co-worker? I don't remember how it worked last time. Maybe if they restricted it to (a) certain section(s), or the ticket scanner (which they didn't have back then) could identify such tickets when you enter the gate.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
LionSuperFan
Rookie

they told me anyone in bronze b4 empire would still b bronze so instead they changed all the sections to new names im now in touchdown corner with a $100 price raise we got 10 tickets so its quite painful also the addition of HST this season also hurts with the 5% increase, those new wider seats better b pretty freakin nice
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

If my seats are a noticable increase I"m giving up both seats.

The costomer speaketh

I've done it before, I'll do it again.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

No kidding. Last time I had season tickets was in 2008 IIRC and they were $225 each in section 17. Now they are $450.

Add to that, the parking costs have gone from $8 a game to $30 a game ( if we don't see another increase this year ).

Affording it is one thing but the principle is entirely another.

The SMS hasn't doubled in 2 years, so what the heck is going on?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
Gee

Are

E

E

Dee
zark
Champion

jcalhoun wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Are there children's prices for season's tickets?

Cheers,

James
I don't think so. I believe they last tried that in the Comrie era.

How would they enforce that, though? What would stop someone from buying a lower-priced child's season ticket with their own and then using it to invite, say, a co-worker? I don't remember how it worked last time. Maybe if they restricted it to (a) certain section(s), or the ticket scanner (which they didn't have back then) could identify such tickets when you enter the gate.
Hey,

I really don't think it would be an issue, especially if children's prices were for kids say, twelve and under. The ticket could have "Child" in big bold letters on it and you'd have to rely on the stadium staff to recognize whether they were kids or not. You then give the ticket holder the option of upgrading it to an adult ticket if the kid can't make it... no big deal. The symphony did this for me a couple of times with student rate tickets being upgraded to adult, and there was never an issue.

I'm looking at getting tickets for next year (depending on which stadium they're going to be at) and would like to get a third ticket for my nine year old stepson. But right now it makes more sense to just hire a sitter for those evenings. At nine, the kid is going to be bored much of the time, easily distracted, tired, etc... and I don't think $450.oo for his potential seat is reasonable. Me and the wife? Sure. But not a kid.

You'd think the Lions would want a lot of kids in the stadium as part of continual effort to create more fans. I understand that they want that seat sold at full price, but the three of us sitting in the endzone = 750 for the year. Me and the wife and a kid (at about 50% off say) in the 'Red Zone' is 900.oo + 250 for the kid = 1150.oo. Surely the Lions are better off with the kid at a discount? If the stadium were a non-stop sellout, I'd understand, but it clearly is not. Also, I don't know what percentage of stadium sales the team gets, but a family of three is a lot more likely to get a hotdog and a drink, popcorn, hat, etc, than just two adults. If it's just me and the wife, we'll get dinner downtown before the game.

Kind of a head scratcher from my perspective. I want to sit in decent seats among knowledgeable, polite and sober football fans --which means wherever you lot are sitting. Cheap seats mean drunks in my experience, which means I don't want the kid around there, and frankly, I'm not keen on sitting in those seats with the wife either.

I always liked what Edmonton does every year by packing the stadium with kids on Labour Day. I'd like to see the Lions make every effort to lure kids to the stadium, but full price tickets for a kid whose feet are too short to reach the ground from his seat isn't a good way to accomplish that.

Cheers,

James
Mostly night games. (sigh) not a good atmosphere for kids. ...a few afternoon games would be nice...future fans????...
eh???
What was that,Lions MGMT??

...silence
....oh well.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
ik17
Rookie

Blue In BC wrote:No kidding. Last time I had season tickets was in 2008 IIRC and they were $225 each in section 17. Now they are $450.

Add to that, the parking costs have gone from $8 a game to $30 a game ( if we don't see another increase this year ).

Affording it is one thing but the principle is entirely another.

If you had renewed you wouldn't be seeing a giant increase... they have to have some kind of incentive to keep people on board every year.

My renewal notices have always been the same, renew before mid December and you save money. Don't renew at all and you fall back in the lineup and end up paying more.

Of course I don't complain about prices because I have been renewing every year so I don't see a big increase. For the people that haven't renewed I can see why you would complain about an increase that's bigger than what mine is from year to year.
Lionheart wrote:If my seats are a noticable increase I"m giving up both seats.

The costomer speaketh

I've done it before, I'll do it again.
If you go by what I said above you're not really doing yourself a favor because every time you walk away and come back your price jumps...
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

That doesn't explain the justification of pricing doubling in a few years. Renewing ST's every year or not doesn't account for that. Single ticket prices were cheaper than ST season tickets are for the same seats a couple of years ago.

Using mine as an example, the ST were $22.50 each and single game was $30 IIRC. Now ST's are $45.

Doesn't add up and I think they will see a backlash in ST volumes.

With the extra cost of ST's and the parking cost increase, that's about $450 + $220 ( parking ) = $670 increase since 2007 or 2008 to sit in the same seats.

I realize the Lions don't regulate the parking costs, however, their fans are still on the hook for an a $220 increase for the season, let alone the increase in ST's.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Also as I mentioned above it appears from what I read (below) in my ST renewal notice that they'll even be phasing out the reduced rates for year-over-year renewals in the next few seasons:
3-YEAR GRADUATED RENEWAL PLAN
In appreciation for your support as a season ticket holder returning to your 2009 location at BC Place and into a new seating category, we are pleased to provide you with a 3-year graduated renewal plan. This will gradually bring you in-line with the regular season ticket price in your category over a 3 year period.
It sounds like that second sentence is saying that it soon won't be any cheaper for the veteran ST holder than the johnny-come-latelys.

So for 2011 you might get, say, a 20% break for renewing an old subscription. Then in future years you're probably looking at 15%, then 5%, then no renewal incentive beyond that.