Lions Fans residing in the US & CFL Broadcasts in the US

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

bclions16
Champion

Yes it appears to be a bigger challenge than I initially thought - and I truly appreciate the input from everyone! Even getting TSN from a US carrier (if thats even possible) wouldn't solve my CFL broadcast problem because the US rights are sold to a patchwork of several small networks, and therefore probably blacked out on TSN (in the US).

So looks like I'll be forking over some money for a StarChoice dish to bring down (along with plenty of duty free Canadian beer)... then it really starts to spiral out of control... HD unit, new flat panel tv...

One more question to anyone that might know about this sort of stuff, and this may be a dumb question but...
TSN programming on a dish such as StarChoice will still have local blackouts I presume. So if my official "address" with StarChoice is in Victoria BC (a blackout free area), I wouldn't be blacked out regardless of where I actually locate the dish? Basically a dish registered in Victoria would show a local blacked out Lions game in Vancouver - or does it have some other smarts in it to get around that?
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
seattle

I happen to be very familiar with someone in this exact same situation and the island is the purrfect place to "live" with a starchoice subscription as not one single CFL game is blacked out. to confirm what's been said above, this seems to be the only way to reliably get CFL action down south, though there's no real reason to split a subscription (i've "heard" that the basic package + sports hd (which gives you the only channel you need...tsn hd) is only $23/mo. anyway, which is insanely reasonable, so it seems only fair to at least give starchoice what they're owed).

on a similar note, this same someone i know is considering purchasing the starchoice PVR (which seems insanely expensive as they come free with service in the US if you get a good promo deal), anyone have any reviews of these?
bclions16
Champion

Thanks Seattle... I've PM'd you to discuss some details.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I bought a high end HD pvr from Shaw Cable in Victoria and it was financed interest free by Wells Fargo Bank. I pay $23/ month for the pvr until some time in 2010.
VOR
prospect

I live near Birch Bay, and the only options I have are a slingbox, a canadian subscription or a FTA setup.

Its almost like they are forcing CFL fans in the Sates to steal the service.
bclions16
Champion

Ya, it sucks. I just don't see why one couldn't pay a fee to get the full CFL package here, or just TSN! I know they sell the rights of a number of games to other broadcasters, but heck, I'd pay for the limited package and TSN if I could.
Oh well, after watching the game in Canada tomorrow, I will have my Canadian dish by Friday :)