2008 BC Lions Orange Helmet Awards Dinner - March 1

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

This event will be held on Saturday, March 1, 2008 at the Westin Bayshore Resort & Marina with dinner starting at 7:00 PM. Individual tickets cost $200 and it looks like there will be no group discount tickets as a table of 10 will cost $2,000 + GST.

Do any Lionbackers want to get together for this event and reserve a table of 10?

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I would love to go to this but am otherwise committed on March 1 (tix to the New York Dolls at the Plaza..Yes!).

Someone needs to ask Boomer if he loaded up on "Deux-Deux-Deuxs" while he's here in Canada. Meaning cold pills with codeine, which you can get over the counter here but need a prescription in the US. There's a viral video of Berman on the ESPN Sports Center set during a break where he's talking to someone off-camera about the benefits of 222s with codeine from Canada (he had a bit of a head cold at the time I'm guessing). Says he always wanted to make sure his broacast schedule included a Blue Jays series in Canada so he could replenish his supply.

However, whatever you do, don't ask him about "You're With Me, Leather"!!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Thanks for being the first to reply, Lions4ever. Too bad you already have other plans.

This event is coming up this Saturday. Anyone interested?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Not for $200/plate.

There's a good chance I'm watching UFC 82 that night as well.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Article on this event from The Straight.

http://www.straight.com/node/132913/print

B.C. Lions honour amateur-football heroes at the Orange Helmet Awards

By Jeff Paterson
Publish Date: February 21, 2008

When Bobby Ackles returned to the B.C. Lions in 2002 after 16 years working in football hotbeds like Miami, Dallas, and Philadelphia, he noted a decline in interest not only in professional football but in the game as a whole at all levels throughout the province.

Sensing something had to be done to promote the sport he loved, and knowing full well that the Lions needed future generations of fans, Ackles was driven to action and the Orange Helmet Awards were born. On March 1, the Lions will host the fifth annual Orange Helmet Awards banquet honouring the best and brightest in amateur football throughout the province.

“It started after I was here for the first year, and I felt there should be something in the off-season or the nonfootball season where there should be some football,” Ackles told the Straight in a telephone interview. “So I…discussed the possibility of a fundraiser for amateur football in the province which would also celebrate football in B.C. It was something I felt was needed, because most sports have a celebration of what their teams and coaches and the people who support it have done over the year.”

What started in 2004 as a gathering of just under 400 at a hotel not far from the Lions’ Surrey training facility has grown up in a hurry. The event has gone both upscale and downtown to the point where this year more than 900 people will pay $200 apiece to fill the convention hall at the Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina to celebrate all that is good about the sport they love.

The growth of the Orange Helmet Awards has exceeded Ackles’s expectations for the event, which has become one of the big nights on the local sports calendar. Although the Lions president and CEO isn’t sure how much bigger the dinner itself can get, Ackles envisions making the awards banquet the centrepiece of an annual B.C. football convention.

“The first year there was a coaching clinic put on, and the first 100 coaches could get a deal on the clinic and the dinner ticket,” he said. “But the clinic didn’t survive, because it seemed that the dinner was around spring break and that’s when a lot of the coaches get away, so we weren’t having a lot of success with that. Somewhere down the road, I’d like to see us bring back the clinic and have it all encompassed so that all levels of football have their annual meetings at the same time the weekend of the dinner.”

Although it’s organized by this province’s professional football team, the night places the emphasis on football’s grassroots, celebrating the individuals and teams who play community, high school, junior, and university football throughout B.C. All money raised from the event is split equally and returned to those groups to help grow the game. The Orange Helmet Awards are presented to teams and players who have performed well during the year, not only on the field but also in the community and in the classroom.

No big sports banquet would be complete without a headliner, and that’s where Bobby Ackles’s many contacts in the football world come in handy. In past years, the Lions have landed former National Football League greats Warren Moon, Joe Theismann, and Rocky Blier as keynote speakers. This year, they’ve opted for well-known ESPN broadcaster Chris Berman.

Ackles realizes that apart from former Toronto Argonauts player and coach Michael “Pinball” Clemons a few years back, the featured speakers have come from south of the border. It’s something Ackles has tried to address, but he said his hands are tied because there’s a lack of big Canadian names suited to speak at an event like this one.

“What we’ve tried to do is have people who have a bit of a background in the Canadian Football League or Canadian football [Moon and Theismann both played in the CFL, and Berman is terrific about dropping CFL references into his U.S. broadcasts],” Ackles noted. “It’s unfortunate that we don’t have more Canadian athletes who do the dinner circuit. I thought about Don Cherry, but he’s not really for a football crowd.”

So this year, former CFLer turned broadcaster Glen Suitor of TSN will MC and Berman will deliver the keynote address. When they, and Ackles, look out into the crowd that night, they’ll see players, parents, coaches, trainers, officials, and administrators who share a love of football and who all help the game to thrive in this province.

Although Ackles and his staff have worked hard to build the Lions into a model franchise and consistent contender, the real rebuilding in football has taken place in public parks and on high-school fields throughout B.C.

“It seems to me from talking to the guys at the grassroots level that football at all levels is extremely healthy,” Ackles said. “I look at the number of high-school programs and I think there are around 65 senior and junior programs in the province, whereas when I left here in 1986 there were about 23 programs in the province and most of them were in the Lower Mainland. Vancouver Island now has good high-school programs and it has a couple of junior programs, and it didn’t have any junior football at all when I left. We have two university teams in B.C., and there are all kinds of kids at the lower levels, so it’s really grown in the last 10 to 15 years.

“It makes me feel pretty good,” he added, knowing his hard work has played a hand in that growth.

As at all awards dinners, there will be winners—but at the Orange Helmet banquet, there will be no losers.
祝你龍年行大運。
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

for any lionbackers that went, how was it?
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The event drew $60,000 in donations.

http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module ... &nid=23100
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

祝你龍年行大運。