League Attendance Up!

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

CFL Attendance Continues to Rise

Sold-out stadiums and strong attendance across the board lead to highest average since 1983

Toronto, ON (November 8, 2007) – The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced today that average league attendance for the 2007 regular season finished at 29,167, the highest since the 1983 season. It is also the sixth consecutive year that total attendance has exceeded 2,000,000.

“Attendance is the most significant symbol of the CFL’s success and a core revenue generator for our teams,â€
Entertainment value = an all time low
chimpy

What is bc Attendance for the year?
Migs
Starter

Fantastic news all around......however, its unfortunate that the pathetic parttime fans in Winnipeg will struggle to attract 19K to their playoff game. Where did all their fans go anyways??? If I was commish I would blackout that game a halfhour before gametime just to piss off the lazy cheap bastards that refuse to support the team that played for them all season.
Stampeder horse walks into a bar and the bartender says..."Why the Long face?"
chimpy

Yeah i know winnipeg had a great year , i do not think they hosted a playoff game since 2001 or 02, and they finally do, and they probebly will not get more than 24,000.

But i quess because they held on to first place for so long through the year the fan's think they backed themselves in to 2nd place.

Remeber 2005 here in Bc, i think we only had 37,000 for the WF. Lost 6 out the last 7 games of the year.
chimpy

Also it could be a record setting year for playoff attendance including the grey the cup We could get.

Western Final 60.000 SOLD OUT
Western semi final 29,000 SOLD OUT
Eastern Final 45,000 SOLD OUT (with tarps still in place)
Eastern semifinal 25,000
Grey Cup 55,000 SOLD OUT

Grand total is 214,000

WOW WOW WOW
120dB
Legend

and you see why attendance IS an important issue; more than just a generator of NOISE, it's a critical revenue generator which helps the league to prosper
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Give it a rest Migs.

Last playoff game in Winnipeg was 2003, not in the late 80's....so please let's not make it sound like the Riders are CFL saviours.

There are many reasons why the ducat sales are slow....uncertaintity of the date originally, Bombers not exactly on fire last 6 games, Montreal for the 3rd time, Rememberance Day, and as always...the possibility of poor weather.
Sure, I know you'll spout off how you sold out in 20 minutes....that's awesome...kudos....but it's not like the Bombers attendance was on the decline this year. Why not boast about your own team and this dream season rather than rebroadcasting the obvious....Mr. Commish :roll:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Barrin_rocks07

And lets not stop now, lets keep it growing. I really think the time is right for us to really start marketing the game more out this way.
Jer Bear
Rookie

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Give it a rest Migs.

Last playoff game in Winnipeg was 2003, not in the late 80's....so please let's not make it sound like the Riders are CFL saviours.

There are many reasons why the ducat sales are slow....uncertaintity of the date originally, Bombers not exactly on fire last 6 games, Montreal for the 3rd time, Rememberance Day, and as always...the possibility of poor weather.
Sure, I know you'll spout off how you sold out in 20 minutes....that's awesome...kudos....but it's not like the Bombers attendance was on the decline this year. Why not boast about your own team and this dream season rather than rebroadcasting the obvious....Mr. Commish :roll:
What in the hell are you talking about? Where does migs say the last Bomber playoff game was in the late 80's? I'd really like you to point out where he says the Riders are the "CFL Saviours" for christ sakes he doesn't even talk about the Riders in his post. And that is BS about the uncertainty of the date of the game, When Rider tickets went on sale there was uncertainty about the date and they still sold just fine.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

The comment concerning the late 80's I thought would be obvious.....as the Riders haven't hosted a playoff game since then.....hence a little more hype in Sask. Chimpy too had commented about the last Bomber playoff game. Next time I guess, I'll make it clearer for you.

The Riders knew 3 weeks ago that they would be hosting the WSF, there was ZERO uncertainty...whereas the Bombers knew only last Saturday afternoon they would be hosting the ESF....

And instead of being pumped about league attendance this year, he chose to slam the Bombers slow ticket sales.

Migs is a big boy, and I enjoy his posts for the most part, and I'm sure he can defend his own posts. Whereas you JerBear only like to try to stir it up.....worry about your own business.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
joesports
All Star

Jer Bear wrote:
West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Give it a rest Migs.

What in the hell are you talking about? Where does migs say the last Bomber playoff game was in the late 80's? I'd really like you to point out where he says the Riders are the "CFL Saviours" for christ sakes he doesn't even talk about the Riders in his post. And that is BS about the uncertainty of the date of the game, When Rider tickets went on sale there was uncertainty about the date and they still sold just fine.
Not to answer on behalf of another Lionbacker, but I think the main point is that Wpg has hosted other playoff games in recent memory...they haven't had to wait since the late 80's like Sask has. 8)
As to why the Bomber fans haven't turned up in droves yet, the reasons suggested are all valid, but I would agree it's got to be pretty disappointing for the mgmt there.
120dB
Legend

already selling the corners now
Rammer
Team Captain

1. Edmonton - 331,591 - 36,843 - 0 SO, -2.7%
2. BC Lions.. – 292,108 - 32,456 - 0 SO, +4.1%
3. Calgary ....- 281,214 - 31,246 - 2 SO, +1.5%
4. Toronto ....- 278,380 - 30,931 - 0 SO, +4.2%
5. Saskatche - 252,483 - 28,054 - 6 SO, +10.9%
6. Winnipeg ..- 249,309 - 27,701 - 5 SO, +2.6%
7. Hamilton ...- 208,805 - 23,201 - 0 SO, -13.2%
8. Montreal ...- 206,126 - 22,903 - 8 SO, -0.5%

CFL - 2,100,016 - 29,167 - 21 SO, +0.8%
Rammer
Team Captain

Only three losers in the average attendance, and one being Montreal who can fluxuate at The Big Owe, given the circumstances surrounding their game. So not bad, but Hamilton took a large hit after LD which is too bad, but given they were out of the playoffs at that point, it isn't unexpected.