Tips on taking a 5 year old to a game

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Tighthead
Legend

I am attending the WF and bringing my 5 year old, who is pretty keen. Does anyone have any tips on bringing little ones along? I am thinking of getting some foam earplugs, as she may find the noise a little much. Are we allowed to bring in snacks for her?

Any general tips would be fine. As I mentioned, she is keen, but as I also mentioned, she is five.
prairielion
Starter

I actually just took my five year-old to his first game this year too. Now although it wasn't of the magnitude of the WF, it was at Mosaic Stadium (Taylor Field) in Regina. He did very well and I'm not sure if the noise there can be compared with that in the Dome in the playoffs, but it was quite loud and it didn't seem to bother him. Not sure on what is and isn't allowed to be brought into B.C Place, but we were able to bring a backpack into Mosaic quite easily and we had some small kid's snacks to get him through the game.
This may not have helped you but hopefully it encouraged you. Have fun. Wish I could be there with my youngster to join you.
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:I am attending the WF and bringing my 5 year old, who is pretty keen. Does anyone have any tips on bringing little ones along? I am thinking of getting some foam earplugs, as she may find the noise a little much. Are we allowed to bring in snacks for her?

Any general tips would be fine. As I mentioned, she is keen, but as I also mentioned, she is five.
I happen to have a five year old that goes to all the games, well since he was old enough (just born), so that may factor into the situation. However, as much as the game/fans/Leo are interesting, the concession seems to be the largest interest. Good luck, 3 hours is a long time, and my 5 year old does find the noise a little extreme at times, but just needs to cover his ears for a minute or two to survive, the WDF may extend that period.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

i suggest ear plugs until she gets used to the noise. then she should be fine after that
2012 Season Ticket Holder
LFITQ
Team Captain

My kids have been going to the games since before they were born! (Yes I have a pic of a pregnant Shannon at some games). They are 5 (almost 6 - next month) and 2 (almost 3 - in February).

This includes the 2005 Grey Cup (and the 2002 Grey Cup) plus WDF's. Never really needed ear plugs. If it gets too loud they cover their ears, but they are yet to complain. They are usually right into it with everyone else.

The trick for games: Drinks, Popcorn, sometimes some cotton candy, and in the second half we are usually needing some icecream. Trick is to make sure they are involved in the game. so when a good play make sure you high five them as well and try to explain some of what is going on (you don't need to introduce them to Stuke's Chalk Talk before going however). Facepaint tends to work too. That and tattoos.

Anything to generally make it feel like more than just having to go and sit and watch something they don't understand. Do the 3rd Quarter stretch, get involved with the noise.

The foam paws are kinda fun but they can get problematic.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You are not permitted to bring your own food inside the Stadium but they may make an exceptional for a 5 year old.
jerepeters
Rookie

They do make exceptions I have brought my 3 year old son all season long he's become a fan of the music they play at game they also play at his day care :rockin:
BC Lions Fan & Season Ticket holder since 2006
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The first time I brought a 5-year-old to a game was at Frank Clare in Ottawa. He spent almost the entire game looking up at a helium balloon that was caught on the roof of the north grandstand. He said he loved the experience. When my younger ones were 5, they loved the sidelines action (Leo the Lion, cheerleaders, mini-footballs and clowns in the day) more than the on-field action.

Get your 5-year-old a souvenir and something from the concession, then just let her look at whatever interests her. The appreciation of the finer points of the game can come later.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I think I took my son to his first hockey game when he was 6 or 7... he was mostly into it until the first intermission when they brought out the t-shirt canon... he thought that was the greatest thing... until none of the goodies came anywhere near him. Then he was bummed out for the rest of the game.

He was also desperate to go to see the monster truck show when he was 5 or 6... it took all of two minutes of the noise for him to want to leave. That was a bit of a bust.

I'd say maybe bring some earmuffs, just in case - the kids may not find earplugs comfortable to leave in. Or bring both, it's not like they take up a lot of room.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Tighthead
Legend

Thanks to all for the info - pretty much what I expected - no easy solutions, but I expect it will be worth the effort.