2007 BC Lions Most Popular Player - vote now

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Taken from:
http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module ... &nid=20426

The reigning Grey Cup champion BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce that voting for the club’s ‘Most Popular Player’ of the 2007 season has begun on bclions.com.

The Bobby Bourne Memorial Trophy has been presented annually since 1955 in recognition of the BC Lions’ ‘Most Popular Player’ and is the only honour selected entirely by Lions fans. The winner for the 2007 season will be announced during the club’s final regular season home game versus the Calgary Stampeders on Saturday, November 3rd.

Fans are encouraged to cast their vote for the 2007 BC Lions ‘Most Popular Player’ by visiting bclions.com and following the link. Nominations will be accepted until Wednesday, October 31st at 5:00 pm.

You have until Halloween to cast your vote:
http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module=page&id=3207

And just to clarify things:

1. No, I do not have a picture of the Bobby Bourne Memorial Trophy.

2. There was a Bobby Bourne hockey player who played for the New York Islanders in the 1970's and 1980's, but I'm not sure if this trophy is named for him. I don't think it is because it doesn't make sense to name a football trophy after a hockey player, and if it was awarded since 1955, I don't think the Bobby Bourne hockey player was famous enough to have a trophy named after him back then.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Taken from:
http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module ... &nid=20426

The reigning Grey Cup champion BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce that voting for the club’s ‘Most Popular Player’ of the 2007 season has begun on bclions.com.

The Bobby Bourne Memorial Trophy has been presented annually since 1955 in recognition of the BC Lions’ ‘Most Popular Player’ and is the only honour selected entirely by Lions fans. The winner for the 2007 season will be announced during the club’s final regular season home game versus the Calgary Stampeders on Saturday, November 3rd.

Fans are encouraged to cast their vote for the 2007 BC Lions ‘Most Popular Player’ by visiting bclions.com and following the link. Nominations will be accepted until Wednesday, October 31st at 5:00 pm.

You have until Halloween to cast your vote:
http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module=page&id=3207

And just to clarify things:

1. No, I do not have a picture of the Bobby Bourne Memorial Trophy.

2. There was a Bobby Bourne hockey player who played for the New York Islanders in the 1970's and 1980's, but I'm not sure if this trophy is named for him. I don't think it is because it doesn't make sense to name a football trophy after a hockey player, and if it was awarded since 1955, I don't think the Bobby Bourne hockey player was famous enough to have a trophy named after him back then.
No way is it named after him. For starters, he went by Bob, not Bobby, and that Bob wasn't Bourne until 1954 -- just before they began awarding it! And afaik, he's still alive, so they wouldn't be naming a memorial trophy after him anyway.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Let's go Joe!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

If it really goes by "popular" then it can only be Murphy.
QB Club 63
All Star

According to "BC Lions Football: The First 50 Years", Bobby Bourne was a Director of the BC Lions in 1954 and was instrumental in getting the team into the WIFU, which was later to become the Western Football Conference of the CFL. The Lions Most Popular Player Award was originally sponsored by Millers Jewellers but the name was changed in 1955 in memory of Bourne after he passed away. The first winner of the Bobby Bourne Memorial Trophy was halfback Al Pollard.

Through most of the 80's (when Mervyn Fernandez virtually owned it) the trophy was sponsored by Labatt's.
allancairns
prospect

The Bobby Bourne Memorial Trophy was named after my grandfather the late "Bobby Bourne" who was an early board of director who was instrumental in getting the B.C. Lions a franchise or team in the first place. He died at an early age but my mom actually used to present the trophy at the old Empire Stadium. She remembers with fondnest of presenting Willie Picket the trophy because and I quote "He was absolutely gorgeous" On that note I am sure she is still available to present the trophy named after her father anytime. Go LIONS