Edmonton Bound

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

eskinator wrote:
Rammer wrote:Bring a hard hat Gerry.

Although the Esk fans may be expecting a loss making it much easier to handle if the Lions get out front.
Unnecessary (you're joking right Phil?). No-one is going to hassle a distinguished gentleman like Gerry at the game.

Also, this isn't Calgary, where they sell beer in cans.

I look forward to seeing my buddy OS99 and getting reacquainted with Gerry this weekend.

Weather is supposed to co-operate as well.
Nice to hear from you eskinator. You're right, I really enjoyed my Commonwealth experience. Great fans. And I am expecting a real battle on Saturday. I think the Esks will come out really fired up. I just hope our Leos can match their intensity.

Should be a good one! :beer:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote:we will also be at the Canucks game at Rexall (First ever Canucks road game, too.).
How did you like the Canucks vs. Oilers game? And how do you find the atmosphere at Rexall Place compared to GM Place?
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Robbie wrote:How did you like the Canucks vs. Oilers game? And how do you find the atmosphere at Rexall Place compared to GM Place?
It was a dream come true, my first ever road games and 2 wins. Torres scores to put the Oilers within one and then Morrison scores a pretty one to get it right back for us, 20 seconds later. It was a buzz killer for them, but a lot of us Canuckers sure went nuts. Burrows' shorthanded goal was another pretty one. Lots of LOOOing going on, especially on that one save in the 2nd. Not surprisingly, quite a big Canuck Nation there and the Oiler fans didn't talk smack to us. There was a lot to cheer about on this night. I liked the building, the atmosphere is nice, kind've a cross between the Coliseum and GM Place. Certainly a great arena.

Commonwealth really didn't seem all that loud, at least compared to our dome advantage. It's a great place to watch a game, though, great atmosphere. When the Leos salted the game in the last seconds, we went nuts and nobody was reacting to all our yelling. It was a scary game, and I was going to have a heart attack, so I was very, very relieved. Edmonton fans never said anything bad to us at both games, when we made noise.

We met and high fived a lot of BCers at both games (And we saw some of the same people at both games and also on the plane.). I find it's easier to meet fans. There's was a lot of noise made on the train from Rexall to downtown by the Canuck/Lion fans we ran into after the hockey game. There was also a "LET'S GO LIONS" chant that was very, very loud, even though we'd just seen the Canucks win. It filled the train, it was beautiful. I think Edmonton fans thought we were nuts on there. I've never seen opposing fans make that much noise on the Skytrain after a game here for either team. That chant would've made you guys proud.
chimpy

It was a dream come true, my first ever road games and 2 wins. Torres scores to put the Oilers within one and then Morrison scores a pretty one to get it right back for us, 20 seconds later. It was a buzz killer for them, but a lot of us Canuckers sure went nuts. Burrows' shorthanded goal was another pretty one. Lots of LOOOing going on, especially on that one save in the 2nd. Not surprisingly, quite a big Canuck Nation there and the Oiler fans didn't talk smack to us. There was a lot to cheer about on this night. I liked the building, the atmosphere is nice, kind've a cross between the Coliseum and GM Place. Certainly a great arena.

Commonwealth really didn't seem all that loud, at least compared to our dome advantage. It's a great place to watch a game, though, great atmosphere. When the Leos salted the game in the last seconds, we went nuts and nobody was reacting to all our yelling. It was a scary game, and I was going to have a heart attack, so I was very, very relieved. Edmonton fans never said anything bad to us at both games, when we made noise.

We met and high fived a lot of BCers at both games (And we saw some of the same people at both games and also on the plane.). I find it's easier to meet fans. There's was a lot of noise made on the train from Rexall to downtown by the Canuck/Lion fans we ran into after the hockey game. There was also a "LET'S GO LIONS" chant that was very, very loud, even though we'd just seen the Canucks win. It filled the train, it was beautiful. I think Edmonton fans thought we were nuts on there. I've never seen opposing fans make that much noise on the Skytrain after a game here for either team. That chant would've made you guys proud.

Very good . wish i was there, that is good to see our canuck and lions fans or even both supporting each of our teams.

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote:It was a dream come true, my first ever road games and 2 wins. Torres scores to put the Oilers within one and then Morrison scores a pretty one to get it right back for us, 20 seconds later. It was a buzz killer for them, but a lot of us Canuckers sure went nuts. Burrows' shorthanded goal was another pretty one. Lots of LOOOing going on, especially on that one save in the 2nd. Not surprisingly, quite a big Canuck Nation there and the Oiler fans didn't talk smack to us. There was a lot to cheer about on this night. I liked the building, the atmosphere is nice, kind've a cross between the Coliseum and GM Place. Certainly a great arena.
Thanks for your description, ThreeTimesOneMinusOne. Did you stay until the conclusion of the game? If you did, just another question for you.

According to NHL.com, the three star selections were:
1st: ROBERTO LUONGO (Canucks)
2nd: RAFFI TORRES (Oilers)
3rd: ALEX BURROWS (Canucks)

Did Luongo and Burrows make their post-game star skate? How about Torres for his second-star selection? Just wondering if the Canucks players make their post-game star selection skate when they are on visiting ice, and if the Oilers make their skate if they lose the game.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Torres and Luongo did their three star skate. Luongo came out at the end of the rink where the visiting team comes out of. I don't remember if Burrows did.

Anyways, I know at least one person has been waiting for pictures, so here they are:

The first guy we saw was Aaron Hunt getting in a cab, but we didn't get a real solid shot of that, so we then saw Vigneault, Richie and Buono.
Ian.
Me and Daniel Sedin. As if that wasn't awesome enough, two other guys got their pictures with me.
OH MY GOD!!!!
Not a moment after Luongo leaves, and DD comes up the steps where the fans are and asks us what's going on. So, we had to do the honourable thing. He also signed my brother's hat.
Some dude that me and my brother met just outside the arena. This guy was also on the same plane home as us. He was cool. There's Luongo's signature on my jersey.
I think it took about halfway through the warmup until it dawned on me that we were wearing our home jerseys and the Oilers were wearing their away.
Blurry, but a goody.
After Burrows scored.
After Naslund iced it.
Torres during the 3 stars.
And of course, the first star.
Me and the bro.
Some of the Canucks/Lions fans we met after the game before storming the train. They had their Lions stuff the next day.

I will definitely get the Lions pictures up, soon. And they are good. I even captured two of the Lion touchdowns.
Last edited by ThreeTimesOneMinusOne on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

And now, it's Lions time!:

WAKE with the sack!
A picture that serves as a commentary on our current QB situation.
Banks interception.
TOUCHDOWN JOE SMITH!!!!
Tyrone with the sack!
Fleming shanks the field goal.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Great pics thanks!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Lions, Part 2:
When the Esks score a major, the yellow streamers come raining down.
The end of Clermont's big gain.
TOUCHDOWN IAN SMART!!!! What a picture! I mean, that's what they call a money shot.
My brother was taking a lot of cheerleader pictures because it's not like at home where you get to see the Felions every home game.
THE LIONS PULL AHEAD!!!!
OH YEAH GEROY!!!! Oddly enough, I don't think I saw him do his pose.
McCallum scores the last BC point.
LeFors escapes, EGAD!
Oh no, oh no, oh no. I was VERY VERY SCARED! I didn't come all this way to see a huge upset.
We didn't get a very decent picture of the 3rd down play, so this was the last good shot during the suspenseful period.
These girls were a couple rows in front of us and we knew we needed their picture for our collection of fan photos.
OH YEAH!!!!
You know I know what the score is!
My brother knows it too!
Yup.
Me and some smart people, postgame.
More smart people.

This trip was a DREAM COME TRUE!!!! You can see a lot of home games, but take it on the road with your two favourite teams both winning and it doesn't get any better.
chimpy

looked like a goodtime, i was suprised how big the crowd was with the games the esks have been losing latley(33,000). if that was bc in there place they would be lucky to get 27,000
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

That's true, it's a good crowd. It looked a little surprisingly empty at the start of the game, though. With more seating open than at the dome, but the same amount of people, it gives the impression of an emptier stadium. On the plus side for us, with our dome, Lions home games are MUCH louder. Nice atmosphere at Commonwealth, nonethless. Edmonton's stadiums themselves, I really like.

Good to be home, though. Just too bad that Edmonton's weather is way better than the crappy depression-inducing stuff that passes for our weather, at the moment. And it wasn't too bad temperature-wise, a little cold but I ended up not needing my gloves at all. I guess it starts getting really cold there in November, at least based on what I was looking at on the Weather Network site before the trip.
Last edited by ThreeTimesOneMinusOne on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

We saw the girl on the right a few times on TV-she definitely stands out, and has great taste in colours! :thup:
Real women wear orange!!
Shaggy
Starter

Nice photos. Looks like a GREAT trip. :thup:

Very inspirational.
I think I'll have to get with my group and try and plan something like that for next year.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

CatsEyes wrote:Image

We saw the girl on the right a few times on TV-she definitely stands out, and has great taste in colours! :thup:
When we saw them arrive, I certainly thought they would get on TV. The front of our section had quite a number of Lions fans. I think I even recognized the guys that wear the orange jumpsuits at BC Place (that look like garbage pickup guys). They were in front of those girls. They're in one of the pics of my brother yelling after the game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the pictorials. Most excellent ! Were the Lions and the Canucks staying at the same hotel ?