Edmonton Bound

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Thanks for the pictorials. Most excellent ! Were the Lions and the Canucks staying at the same hotel ?
They certainly were. I think we were able to kill two birds with one stone because of it. The chedk-in guy at the hotel we were at (Chateau Lacombe) gave us the tip that both teams were at the Westin Edmonton. I knew, beforehand, that the Canucks were going to be there but I didn't know that the Lions would be. Everything fit great.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Oh yeah, when we were waiting at the Westin, we met an Oilers/Eskimos fan who came from Regina with his much younger brother, who is a Canucks fan. He said he hated the Roughriders.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

You are my hero!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

HAHA, THANKS!!!! It was a lot of fun and I won't take this experience for granted, ever.
Rammer
Team Captain

eskinator wrote:
Rammer wrote:Bring a hard hat Gerry.

Although the Esk fans may be expecting a loss making it much easier to handle if the Lions get out front.
Unnecessary (you're joking right Phil?). No-one is going to hassle a distinguished gentleman like Gerry at the game.

Also, this isn't Calgary, where they sell beer in cans.

I look forward to seeing my buddy OS99 and getting reacquainted with Gerry this weekend.

Weather is supposed to co-operate as well.
A little of both Brian, you never know who is sitting around you if you are buying walkup tickets. That goes for any stadium, unless you get in the better seating. I didn't think that the distinguished gentleman would run into trouble, but I think he saw some humour in the aspect I presented him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Excellent pictures, ThreeTimesOneMinusOne. Several comments and questions about your various pictures.

CANUCKS

1. Could you definitively tell that the Sedin twin was Daniel and not Henrik, or did you have to ask him?
2. The way your brother was dressed, an Islanders jersey with a Lions cap, was exactly what I referred to in that thread that I created about sports team apparel possibly contradicting. Since your brother supports a NY-based team, does he also support the Knicks, Yankees, Giants, Jets, and Mets?
3. In that picture of both teams in their pre-game skate, do you happen to know whether either the man or the woman in the bottom left is the goal judge? I heard that in Rexall Place, they decided position the goal judge elsewhere in the arena. I wonder if that was just for certain games on a trial basis or if it's for all games.
4. Both you and those young women were wearing last season's Canucks jerseys. Do you have a Canucks jersey from this season?
5. Good pictures of the three stars skate. I noticed that both Torres and Luongo carried their sticks during the final skate. I know that for the Canucks in GM Place, they leave their sticks behind when making their three star skate.

LIONS

1. I really like that shot of Clarke Stadium with downtown Edmonton in the background. If you don't mind, I'd like to borrow that picture to post in another thread.
2. I knew that the Eskimos also have banners in Commonwealth Stadium for their past Grey Cup game, but this is the first time I saw a closeup picture and I noticed an inaccuracy on their 1987 banner. The '87 banner shows the previous smaller version of the Grey Cup when in fact, the year they won it in 1987 was the first year that the Cup was expanded to its current size.
3. The Eskimos Cheer Team isn't nearly as hot as the Felions (I'm talking about the women). For one thing, they are overdressed. Although I can sort of understand why they are wearing pants and not skirts as in the positions that they are, the guys could be accused of upskirt voyeurism. :lol:
4. I noticed like the old Empire Stadium, the corners of the end zones are cut off by the oval race track. If a receiver made a catch in the corner of the end zone, I wonder if the officials will have a hard time deciding whether the catch was made in-bounds as the end lines don't seem to extend on to the track.
5. I noticed that just like BC Place, the end zone seats are closed off. I assume those bleacher seats wouldn't be too comfortable anyways.
6. Was the Arctic Spas hot tub being used?
7. Was there a halftime show?
8. How was the concession stand food quality and prices compared to BC Place?
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Robbie wrote:1. Could you definitively tell that the Sedin twin was Daniel and not Henrik, or did you have to ask him?
I think someone else who was waiting with us might have said the name Daniel and he didn't get corrected. At least, I think.
Robbie wrote:2. The way your brother was dressed, an Islanders jersey with a Lions cap, was exactly what I referred to in that thread that I created about sports team apparel possibly contradicting. Since your brother supports a NY-based team, does he also support the Knicks, Yankees, Giants, Jets, and Mets?
No, he only cheers for the Islanders, Mariners and Lions. Him cheering for the Islanders doesn't have anything to do with geography, either. He became a fan because of their dramatic Game 7 win over the Penguins in 1993.
Robbie wrote:3. In that picture of both teams in their pre-game skate, do you happen to know whether either the man or the woman in the bottom left is the goal judge? I heard that in Rexall Place, they decided position the goal judge elsewhere in the arena. I wonder if that was just for certain games on a trial basis or if it's for all games.
I have no idea and never really paid attention to it or noticed.
Robbie wrote:4. Both you and those young women were wearing last season's Canucks jerseys. Do you have a Canucks jersey from this season?
Not yet. They've grown on me a bit but I don't know when I'm going to get one.
Robbie wrote:5. Good pictures of the three stars skate. I noticed that both Torres and Luongo carried their sticks during the final skate. I know that for the Canucks in GM Place, they leave their sticks behind when making their three star skate.
Man, I thought I was perceptive. I'll have to check that out the next time I go to the Garage.
Robbie wrote:1. I really like that shot of Clarke Stadium with downtown Edmonton in the background. If you don't mind, I'd like to borrow that picture to post in another thread.
Yeah, go ahead. I have no problem with that. I thought the historical-ness lent itself to me getting a picture of it. The history of the game and all that.
Robbie wrote:2. I knew that the Eskimos also have banners in Commonwealth Stadium for their past Grey Cup game, but this is the first time I saw a closeup picture and I noticed an inaccuracy on their 1987 banner. The '87 banner shows the previous smaller version of the Grey Cup when in fact, the year they won it in 1987 was the first year that the Cup was expanded to its current size.
As I said above, I thought I was perceptive.
Robbie wrote:3. The Eskimos Cheer Team isn't nearly as hot as the Felions (I'm talking about the women). For one thing, they are overdressed. Although I can sort of understand why they are wearing pants and not skirts as in the positions that they are, the guys could be accused of upskirt voyeurism. :lol:

My brother actually likes them better. He says they're more cute. I kind've like that they do actual cheerleader routines (or rather just that they get lifted in the air), and I think their uniforms emphasize the sexy bodies more than showing off other stuff. I don't know, it's all good to me for either team, but the Esks girls are more energetic. The guys don't really get in the way, either. They're only there to lift the girls. I still remember when the Esks brought their cheer team to BC Place a few years ago.
Robbie wrote:4. I noticed like the old Empire Stadium, the corners of the end zones are cut off by the oval race track. If a receiver made a catch in the corner of the end zone, I wonder if the officials will have a hard time deciding whether the catch was made in-bounds as the end lines don't seem to extend on to the track.
That's something I've always thought about about Commonwealth. It's like in baseball and how teams have different dimensions for their fields. I don't think I've ever seen a TD in Commonwealth that has been affected by that, though. Still doesn't seem quite right in football to have a different end zone than everybody else, though. It's bad enough that the Esks water their field down and don't let the other teams on it to practice.
Robbie wrote:5. I noticed that just like BC Place, the end zone seats are closed off. I assume those bleacher seats wouldn't be too comfortable anyways.
I don't know. Bleachers can't be that bad, can they? Then again, why sit in bleachers when there's 60,000 actual seats?
Robbie wrote:6. Was the Arctic Spas hot tub being used?
Yes it was, and it was shown on the big screen, very briefly.
Robbie wrote:7. Was there a halftime show?
Yeah, there was Timbits football. Edmonton Seahawks against the Edmonton Raiders. They used the whole field, too, unlike at the dome when three games are going on at once. But they started the game a little late because they were doing a punting contest first. So, the kids weren't on for very long, and they didn't even play proper downs because they wanted both teams to have the ball. One kid had a very nice run. Rexall was unusual because they really had nothing going on between intermissions. In the first intermission, I think all they did was drive a couple Ford cars on the ice and that was it.
Robbie wrote:8. How was the concession stand food quality and prices compared to BC Place?
I didn't buy anything and looked for only a second, but it seemed like they probably had more than BC Place. The bathrooms are different in that they use those old style round sinks that you have to step on the bottom to operate. I thought Rexall had a better looking selection of food than GM Place. They also had more places to buy apparel than at GM Place. At home, you just get Authentix in one part of the building and a few dinky kiosks, but instead, Rexall has a few small team stores spread throughout the concourse.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Thanks for your detailed answers.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote:My brother actually likes them better. He says they're more cute. I kind've like that they do actual cheerleader routines (or rather just that they get lifted in the air), and I think their uniforms emphasize the sexy bodies more than showing off other stuff. I don't know, it's all good to me for either team, but the Esks girls are more energetic. The guys don't really get in the way, either. They're only there to lift the girls. I still remember when the Esks brought their cheer team to BC Place a few years ago.
If your brother really likes the Eskimos cheerleaders, then a simple suggestion for him. Since the squad contains guys, then perhaps he can audition for a spot next year. That way, he can really get up close and personal with the female cheerleaders. Detailed information for next year's auditions can be found at:

http://www.esks.com/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=891

This guy could be your brother next year.

And I'm assuming your brother definitely picked up an Eskimos Cheer Team calendar for only $10. That's two-thirds of the price of the $15 Felions calendar.

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

I don't think I could deal with my brother joining a cheer team. No, he didn't buy a calendar.
lion24
Legend

I have noticed during games the cheerleaders venture into the crowd at times to sell their calendars but they tend to avoid me as I am decked out in Lions gear; it always worries me that they venture into the crowd with all the drunk lunatics around gawking at them!! :lol: Of course my focus is always on the game and I wouldn't let my vision stray :wink: :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Soundy
Hall of Famer

It's a lot easier to sell to drunks :lol:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Gerry
Legend

I've been quite busy lately, and I certainly don't have the great pics that 3x1-1 has, but I do have a few impressions about the game in Edmonton.

The game sucked, except for the last 4 minutes. Not really, but you know what I mean. I'm glad we won, even if it was ugly.

The weather was great and I loved the stadium. I was half expecting some of that rabid prairie abuse of opposing teams' fans that we hear about from time to time, but I never heard one peep out of anybody. Every single person I met was polite and well-behaved, sort of like everyday ordinary people that we meet on the street everyday. Weird, huh?

I waved hello to OS99 and Eskinator, but didn't even have a chance to say hello. I was busy with family stuff right up to game time and again afterward, and the game itself was too close to wander off and socialize while it was being played.

If you have a chance to see a game in Edmonton, definitely do so. Commonwealth is a great place to watch a game and they're a great bunch of football fans to be enjoying a game with. And it's especially nice if you enjoy it a little bit more than they do as you head out of the gates. :yes:
Enough is enough.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Gerry wrote:I was half expecting some of that rabid prairie abuse of opposing teams' fans that we hear about from time to time, but I never heard one peep out of anybody. Every single person I met was polite and well-behaved, sort of like everyday ordinary people that we meet on the street everyday. Weird, huh?
I know, eh? What's up with that? Same case at Rexall.
D
Team Captain

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote: Image
Me and Daniel Sedin.
a little facial hair and red colouring and we may have found the triplet .... can you play on the wing 8)

btw .... i put a few of your pics in the gallery :thup:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Thanks, I appreciate it very much. I'll probably add a few at some point.

It's weird, the whole Sedin thing, me being a twin myself.