Blackout lifted ?

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Will the Blackout be lifted for the Hamilton Game?

Yes
14%
No
36%
Maybe, I just don't care because I am going to the game regardless
50%

Total votes: 14
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Whatever arguments you want to make about showcasing are negated by the fact that all nine road games are televised. I don't know if the blackout was lifted tonight (they are contractually obligated to do so twice per season), but if so, the Lions did themselves no favours.
As it is, the blackout IMO is failing to create more fans from the people who are on the fence about going to see the Lions at BC Place. To get those fence sitters to come out, you've got to show them what they're missing.
Yes, and the road games fail to do this how, exactly?
Because the road games don't capture the atmosphere that's actually inside BC Place. Having 9 games on the road is all fine and dandy, but people aren't going to be attending road games (for the most part). You have to show them games at home. Take the Canucks for instance (kind of a bad example because they sell out every night but just stick with me), when the Canucks score, and people watching at home see that arena just expload with noise and excitement, it gets the blood pumping and people crave to be part of that when they witness it on TV. Now, watch a Canucks game on the road, the Canucks score a goal and....silence. I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I just personally hate blackouts.
Just hypothetically speaking... I wonder if Braley maintained the blackout last night and simply had TSN play a tape of last year's Hamilton visit, would these people -- the folks who apparently need to hear everyone cheering to decide that a Lions TD or a Canucks goal is a GOOD thing -- have figured out the difference without checking the news? In hindsight, that would have been the better strategy :lol:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

For the record... Pratt just mentioned that last night's game was indeed blacked out -- in lieu of ESPN2's broadcast of the 1994 Grey Cup, which featured Chris Cuthbert as sideline reporter.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

sj-roc wrote:For the record... Pratt just mentioned that last night's game was indeed blacked out -- in lieu of ESPN2's broadcast of the 1994 Grey Cup, which featured Chris Cuthbert as sideline reporter.
Unless Pratt watches his broadcasts from a dish hes mistaken. My PVR recorded 3 hours of boxing on Shaw cable. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I got the Grey Cup game too.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
sj-roc wrote:For the record... Pratt just mentioned that last night's game was indeed blacked out -- in lieu of ESPN2's broadcast of the 1994 Grey Cup, which featured Chris Cuthbert as sideline reporter.
Unless Pratt watches his broadcasts from a dish hes mistaken. My PVR recorded 3 hours of boxing on Shaw cable. BB
Shaw gave me 3 hours of the 94 GC
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Yank In BC wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:
I had it set on TSN HD channel. Seems that doesnt work. BB
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Yank In BC wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote: Unless Pratt watches his broadcasts from a dish hes mistaken. My PVR recorded 3 hours of boxing on Shaw cable. BB
My TSNHD channel (Cogeco cable) went to boxing as well..........but the SD channel carried the Lions/Tabbies game here in Ontario.

It seems when the game is blacked out locally and the broadcast is in SD only to the rest of the country......then the TSNHD channel carries alternate programming no matter where you are.
Lloyd
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:
Yank In BC wrote:Shaw gave me 3 hours of the 94 GC
My TSNHD channel (Cogeco cable) went to boxing as well..........but the SD channel carried the Lions/Tabbies game here in Ontario.

It seems when the game is blacked out locally and the broadcast is in SD only to the rest of the country......then the TSNHD channel carries alternate programming no matter where you are.
The horror. the horror. BB
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote: I had it set on TSN HD channel. Seems that doesnt work. BB

The horror. the horror. BB
The problem is that the guide shows the CFL game is to be broadcast on the HD channel.......so you end up PVRing alternate programming on the HD channel, when you could have PVRed the SD channel and got the game. :bang:
Lloyd