Blog by WCJ of the BC - Riders game from the TSN archive

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I was pumped for this battle on the Prairies, so I ran a blog for the game, reviewing it on TSN. A great game. BC played smarter than the Riders and matched their ferocious physical play. The Riders are always willing to pay the price, but BC played with the intelligence of a championship team.

Quarter 1

Ian Smart, kick returner, the best we have had under Buono. Very explosive.

Dave D easy to corral on the pass rush.

Thanks to Regina for running McCallum out of town all the way to BC.

Kerry Joseph not throwing well, but has great escapability in the pocket.

Good cover by BC secondary. Fantuz drops a bomb on a great scramble by Joseph.

Joe Smith very good up the middle.

Punting back and forth.

Cameron Wake gets the sack. Joseph a great scrambler, makes Wake and Miles miss on the run.

Joseph playing his brains out, but the BC defense giving up nothing long.

Great pick off by Barron Miles.

BC 1-0

McManus and Black not as good as Cuthbert and Suitor as announcers.

DD 4 of 5 for 35.

Quarter 2

DD to Smith, swing pass, easy TD. Joe Smith has been awesome for BC ever since he got here. He moves slowly and quietly at practice. It is amazing how he explodes when running the ball.

Great pressure sack by Javy Glatt. BC D playing great. Joseph is doing a few things on his own, not much else working for Rider O.

Another good return by Smart, nullified by penalty.

Pierce to Clermont, nice play. DD with ice on the back of neck. Rob Murphy clubs Perry on next play as payback for hit on DD. The hit by Perry was an obvious deliberate head shot, helmet to chin. He launched himself at DD. It was clear on the tape. I think the league would have to react to it.

Great cover by Dante Marsh. Good return by Smart. Pierce to Simon, nice pass and catch. Great catch by Paris Jackson. Perry double-teamed by Jiminez with Joe Smith. Jiminez probably tempted to punch Perry in the gut. I'm starting to hate Fred Perry. Nice catch and run by Clermont. Good FG by McCallum, 47 yards.

Black and McManus terrible announcers.

Good pressure by front 4 of Leos. Great pressure collapses the pocket, sack, fumble, BJ knocks ball loose, gets fumble recovery.

Rider D Line talented and tough. Big blitz by Riders, Buck great pass to Paris, great catch. Coverage sack, more of a run. FG by McCallum.

Riders play a high risk game; they injure a lot of players, and have a lot on the injury list themselves. It's like Ultimate Fight Club playing them. Not much fun.

Joseph very quick on QB sneak. Pass knockdown by Williams. Clovis sending in Ritchie's plays on D. 14-0 for BC still. Fantuz cannot catch up to bomb. Geroy would have had it. Great return by Smart again.

Perry braggging: "That's what I do!" Dirty player. Rider D Line tough as always. 2 overthrows by Buck. Very physical game. Fumbled punt, BC recovers. Great coverage, Foley and Crawford.

Riders blitzing a lot. Buck unloads fast to Paris. Buck to Paris. Buck nice sneak for 1st down. Lions playing smart against a very tough, physical team. Buck great scramble for the TD. Hurts his hand. Goddam Riders always hurt people. It is not a coincidence.

Riders losing the game, but taking out QBs; normal for them. BC 21 - 0 over the Green Riders.

Quarter 3

Fantuz drops another one. Pickoff by Ryan Philips. Turnovers 4-0 in favor of BC. Joe Smith powers in for another TD. Quiet, deadly Joe Smith takes it to the Riders. Pound the goddam Riders. BC 28-0. 24 points off turnovers for BC.

Crandell a good backup QB. He wears gloves on both hands, like Jim McMahon used to do for Da Bears. Paris Jackson tries for the blocked punt, hits the kicker. Better go to school with Barron Miles. Now the Riders moving the ball. BC D Line a little tired. Great catch and run by Szarka. Pressure sack by Williams and Hunt. QB sneak, snuffed by Hunt. Great play. FG for Riders.

Beautiful return by Smart. 38 yards. Jiminez at left tackle. Where is Murphy? J Jackson to P Jackson. Geroy just misses long pass, should have had it. P Jackson short pass.

Long pass to Dominguez over Glover. McManus says go back to Kerry Joseph. Duh. Great scramble by Crandell for 1st down. B Johnson just misses him. Crandell moving them. Crandell to Dominguez. BC D Line a bit tired. Blitz by BC; throwaway. Crandell to Dominguez. Dominguez TD. Great drive by Crandell and Dominguez. BC 28-10. Please shutup Black and McManus. Horrible drivel blather.

Jarious Jackson wearing a rib protector. Good plan against this team. Are the Riders dirty or just tough and physical? I say borderline dirty going after QBs. Love em or hate em, the Riders are a wrecking crew, both of themselves and others. Nice catch by Clermont, fighting for yards. If a Rider injured Clermont he would be run out of Regina on a rail. Riders trying to make a move on O and D. Good coverage stops pass to Geroy. Great punt cover by Leos.

Quarter 4

Good Lions D forces punt to start the 4th quarter. Jackson doing OK at QB, but not real sharp on passes. JJ tries sneak, Riders waiting for it. Punt. No yards.

Wray Morrison, another stupid announcer, tries to compare Aaron Hunt and his brother Reggie Hunt.

Crandell doing well. BC making them work for yards in the style of the Toronto D. It seems to me Ritchie has adopted some of Rich Stuber's concepts. It is effective against the Hufnagel O. Lots of DBs. Good deep coverage. Make em work for it. Crandell swarmed, throws ball away. BC deep D very good. Great play by Philips. Great play by Fantuz after the catch on 3rd and 10. Dominguez catch. 7 minutes left. Fantuz catch. Crandell clobbered by Pottinger. Incomplete. Leos take over on downs.

Interference on Eddie Davis grabbing Geroy. Jackson sacked. Great rush by the Riders. Bad snap by Tyson Craiggs on punt attempt. Smart play by McCallum sending it through the endzone. 28-12. Crandell to Flick. 3 minutes left. Crandell to Dominguez. Short passes only allowed. Pottinger getting lots of playing time. Floyd must be hurt. Philips another great ball-hawk interception after tip by Washington.

J Jackson not very accurate with his throws. Joe Smith great slashing power run off left tackle. Joe Smith pounding the ball again. Clermont is the Gladiator of the Night. Jackson runs it in on a broken play. Jackson spotting the ball for convert. BC 35-12. Buck says "Hi, Mom."

Javy Glatt interception, TD. Great play. The Kid can play. BC 42-12.

Post-Game Comments

BC O still not hitting on all cylinders. BC winning ugly. BC playing very smart, opportunistic football. Joe Smith is a load running the ball. BC might as well feature it. Winning ugly, playing smart, signs of a championship team. Quarterback depth pays off.

BC playing great D. Lots of turnovers created by BC. Special teams very good. Ian Smart the best returner we have had with Buono.

Very physical game. I think Perry made a dirty play to knock out Dickenson. Good to see Schultz with a bloody nose. He has racked up some bruises on BC over the years. BC quarterbacks always get hurt playing against the Riders. Not a coincidence I think.

Best to mute Black and McManus. The worst I have heard. Give me Cuthbert and Suitor.