2007 Lions Game Day Giveaways, Promotions, and Events

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

OrangeShoes99 wrote:The only crappy part was they were not for sale...I was willing to snap up a few for Grey Cup gifts for people back east. Once again, the team misses out on moola...that and I heard a story of one person/family getting six of them...not real cool. I wonder how many will end up on eBay?
I was going to ask the person for another one for my 'sister' but the guy didn't feel like giving me one (something about wrong gate and my age) so I didn't bother...otherwise I'd have another one for sale....but I'm keeping this.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
LFITQ
Team Captain

I don't understand why they aren't for sale. That seems like a real missed opportunity. I know when it turned out I couldn't get down there I figured I'd just buy one, but if what OS99 turns out to be true, then that is just poor marketing :thdn: :thdn:

However, the Lions missing the marketting boat is something I have grown quite accustomed to over the years.

But it's not like they are alone in this. The Eskimo's had their major fiasco with the Gizmo bobblehead years ago.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

What happened with the Gizmo bobblehead?
David
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:The only crappy part was they were not for sale...I was willing to snap up a few for Grey Cup gifts for people back east. Once again, the team misses out on moola...that and I heard a story of one person/family getting six of them...not real cool. I wonder how many will end up on eBay?
Not sure about this Brian but the reason they're not for sale on the concourse might have something to do with the fact that these were sponsored/underwritten by Rogers, not unlike last year when Save On plastered their logo on the backpacks. I didn't get a good look at them but there appeared to be the Rogers logo on base. This sponsorship deal may prevent them from being sold.

I didn't bother going in early as I understood they were just for kids. However, as I exited (late-ish) from the Gate A exit near Terry Fox Plaza, I noticed a table of them manned by staff and security. I went up to a lady and asked her very politely if I could please have one for my son. I even showed her my Premium season tickets and Lionbackers membership card. She seemed to take great delight in telling me NO unless I had a voucher.....even though there were boatloads of them left and most people had already made their way home. She was guarding those damned things gold at Fort Knox.

I know "rules are rules" and I don't expect my balls tickled just because I spend over $1,200 bucks a year on seats, but c'mon, they were clearly going to have "overages." :roll:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:I was going to ask the person for another one for my 'sister' but the guy didn't feel like giving me one (something about wrong gate and my age)
So....you were barely able to pass as a 12-year old, LF4L.

If you just managed to get one at your age, and with David's description on how well they were enforcing the age limit, then young adults like DPF and Lion24 would definitely been unable to get one.

But I wonder if the organizers were that good at telling the difference between a 12 and a 13 year old.
LFITQ wrote:I don't understand why they aren't for sale.
Did your kids get one?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
LFITQ
Team Captain

Got snowed in and couldn't make the game. So, no my kids didn't get one.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

To people in this area, "snowed in" happens with about a half-inch of slush :)

To be "snowed in" in the Cariboo, you're probably talking about a foot of fresh fall!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Rammer
Team Captain

Soundy wrote:To people in this area, "snowed in" happens with about a half-inch of slush :)

To be "snowed in" in the Cariboo, you're probably talking about a foot of fresh fall!
Even fresher winter. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Soundy
Hall of Famer

*oof* good one... I mean fresh SNOWfall, smart@$$.
(\__/)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So....regarding the game day festivities that I also created this thread for:

What did you think about the half-time marching band and Remembrance Day tribute?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Very cool.

Snapped this at last year's Remembrance Day game:
(\__/)
chimpy

I don't understand why they aren't for sale. That seems like a real missed opportunity. I know when it turned out I couldn't get down there I figured I'd just buy one, but if what OS99 turns out to be true, then that is just poor marketing

However, the Lions missing the marketting boat is something I have grown quite accustomed to over the years.

But it's not like they are alone in this. The Eskimo's had their major fiasco with the Gizmo bobblehead years ago.

I totaly agree with this statment, i would have to bring my 2 year old daughter, who does not want to keep still at games to get a bobble head.

that is rediculus, right when things seem to be going good for the lions they shoot themselves in the foot with this terriable marketing idea, and they were not even for sale.

that right there is bad, i was standing beside another couple looking at the Jerseys when they asked how much the bobble heads were, of course they said they do not sell them, they walked away saying they are never coming to another Lions game again. (i do not think they were true fan's, from what i got from them is that they were just passing by and decided to check out the lions game , i think they just moved here from the states)

But my point is is that they could have been future full time fan's ,but not know. (i bet they will go to the WF )

But what everyone keeps conveniently forgetting, is that a lot of these promotions (including, apparently, the Geroy bobbleheads) are not Lions marketing in the first place, but marketing by third parties (reportedly Rogers with the bobbleheads).

So instead of griping about the Lions marketing, try talking to Rogers (or whoever the appropriate entity is for various promotions).
(\__/)
LFITQ
Team Captain

But what everyone keeps conveniently forgetting, is that a lot of these promotions (including, apparently, the Geroy bobbleheads) are not Lions marketing in the first place, but marketing by third parties (reportedly Rogers with the bobbleheads).
You are exactly right.

The limited number and not being for sale is the product of Rogers not the Lions. Just like David said above. I did not realize that when I first made my post about the lack of off sales. I was likening them to the Damon Allen bobbleheads.

That being said, it now begs the question as to why the Lions didn't get a few extra for off sales? And I question it only because I am unfamiliar with how sales went for the Damon Allen one. If the Lions still have Damon Allen bobbleheads or were forced to get rid of some with a fire sale, then I could understand their reluctance to order a bunch more for off sales.

However, we only have to ask Rick from Sports N Stuff at his frustration level over the types of things the Lions have decided not to put their logo on, whereas other teams have. Sometimes it does make me wonder about the merchandising arm of the Lions.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:However, we only have to ask Rick from Sports N Stuff at his frustration level over the types of things the Lions have decided not to put their logo on, whereas other teams have. Sometimes it does make me wonder about the merchandising arm of the Lions.
True - it's funny, too, since Bobby Ackles seemed very impressed by the scowls when he was out there... one wonders if an "underling" vetoed the idea without even seeing them?

But I have to wonder, too, how much of it is under the league's control, especially of the logo items. I see a lot of merch in all kinds of stores - Shoppers Drug Mart, Save-On, etc. - with NHL logos, and not just Canucks. All of them state on the tags that they're licensed by the NHL, as ultimately I believe the NHL holds the trademarks on the logos.

I would think with the CFL as well, the league would have some input as to what "licensed" goods can be sold with the team logos. There may be all sorts of marketing ideas the Lions front office has come up with that the league has "disallowed".

Point is, in the end, we mere mortals just don't know... so to rag on the team and its management for all these things we don't have insight to, is really pointless and misguided, at least.

(This goes back to some degree to various other issues as well, like security, opening up more seating, etc... lots of things that are ultimately under the control of people other than the Lions themselves).
(\__/)