2007 Grey Cup Festival details announced

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
LFITQ wrote:I asked about the parade from the family entertainment perspective.

This is the reply I got:
Toronto Grey Cup Committee wrote: This year we will be having something a little bit different, but still just as fun and family oriented.

Please stay tuned to our website for more information.
So it looks like TO has put the kibash on the parade yet again!
I've driven around downtown Toronto a few times. Their traffic makes Vancouver traffic look like Quesnel on a slow Sunday. Can't imagine what sort of mess a parade would make in Hogtown.
Yet they still have the ability to hold an annual Santa Claus parade but not a Grey Cup parade?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
Hambone wrote:
LFITQ wrote:I asked about the parade from the family entertainment perspective.

This is the reply I got:

So it looks like TO has put the kibash on the parade yet again!
I've driven around downtown Toronto a few times. Their traffic makes Vancouver traffic look like Quesnel on a slow Sunday. Can't imagine what sort of mess a parade would make in Hogtown.
Yet they still have the ability to hold an annual Santa Claus parade but not a Grey Cup parade?
Of course. Santa Claus leaves presents at your house. For all the virtues of the Grey Cup, it has still never come down my chimney and left me loot. Who would you hold a parade for?? Sheesh!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

eskinator wrote:
Hambone wrote:Forget the pubs.
We can't Dale. Linda and I have some haunts we just have to go to if we're in the Big Smoke. For us a must is the Horseshoe Tavern and the Wheatsheaf.

Like chicken wings? You have to go to the Wheatsheaf.

Yes, go to the CFL rooms but fit some pubs in. They are a must.
Just making sure potential GC newbies don't make the same mistake I made. I went the pub route for my first 10 Grey Cups thinking things like Spirit of Edmonton and Riderville were private functions for their fans and that a ticket was required. That's not to say I didn't have a great time in the pubs too. Crescent Street in Montreal has to be the greatest party zone in Canada.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Crescent Street in Montreal has to be the greatest party zone in Canada.
That's why GC '08 will be awesome!! :rockin: :rockin:
Real women wear orange!!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

LFITQ wrote:Yet they still have the ability to hold an annual Santa Claus parade but not a Grey Cup parade?
Therein may lie your answer. The usually have the Santa Claus parade right around the same time. Last year it was on Nov.19. Unless they combined the two they'd likely happen on consecutive weekends. The Santa Claus Parade might make the Grey Cup parade somewhat redundant if it had to follow a week later. Having the SC Parade on Grey Cup weekend could serve to lessen the significance of both events.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rick James
Legend

i hate this damn thread. it's gonna be a long hard wait for GC!!
Ryan
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:
Ryan wrote: Flight lands at 4:00, then straight to the pubs and perhaps the cheerleaders party / crowning of Miss Grey Cup.
The Miss Grey Cup pageant was discontinued years ago.
According to the Grey Cup website:

"Thursday will kick things off with an evening of fun hosted by cheerleaders from all of the CFL teams from across Canada . The talent for this evening will be announced in the months to come and the evening will be highlighted by the crowning of Miss Grey Cup." It appears this event is at the convention center - not sure if there will be tickets or not.

As for the pubs - I mean the various hospitality rooms at the convention center. Although I will have to stop by Gretzky's at some point during the course of the weekend.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ryan wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Ryan wrote: Flight lands at 4:00, then straight to the pubs and perhaps the cheerleaders party / crowning of Miss Grey Cup.
The Miss Grey Cup pageant was discontinued years ago.
According to the Grey Cup website:

"Thursday will kick things off with an evening of fun hosted by cheerleaders from all of the CFL teams from across Canada . The talent for this evening will be announced in the months to come and the evening will be highlighted by the crowning of Miss Grey Cup."
Wow, that's right!
http://www.cflgreycup.ca/toronto/news_052807.php

It looks like the Miss Grey Cup pageant will be revived! :rockin: :wink:

I think it's only fair that the city of Toronto revives that event because they were the ones who cancelled it when they last hosted the Grey Cup back in 1992.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I can see women groups protesting about the sexual exploitation of women.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:As of yet:
No dance showcase
That event wasn't labeled clearly, but it is part of the Grey Cup Party Series on Thursday evening, November 22 starting at 7:00 PM. That event conflicts with the Rogers CFL Player Awards that same evening. But as some of you have stated, if the cost of attending the player awards is beyond your budget, then perhaps the $53 to attend the Miss Grey Cup pageant will be more affordable.

http://www.cflgreycup.ca/toronto/festiv ... vent_id=28
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

$53????

I'll pass on that thank you very much. I'll probably hit up SoE after checking in.
pinkfreud

Clearly we're going to have to plan a heist to attend this Grey Cup. When does Ocean's 13 come out? We can start taking notes.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Yeah, you're not kidding........................

Having the Vanier on Friday seems to be screwing with everything else. I'm sure if it's well attended, they'll continue with the Grey Cup/Vanier Cup thing.
eskinator
All Star

Some folks may be surprised by the cost of things at Grey Cup. I hate to sound glib, but Grey Cup costs what it costs. It is not a cheap time out. You have to pay to have a good time at the events unless you want to do your own thing and some of these locations are not as cheap as they are at home (if you think it's cheap at home)

Mark my words, save a bit more money over the course of the season and you will have a fantastic time.

Staying home and watching the game on someones TV is an alternative (and much much cheaper), but believe me it's nothing like taking in the festivities in person.

Saddle up to the fun some of us "Grey Cup vets" indulge in.

You won't be disappointed.
What concerns me is not the way things are, but rather the way people think things are - Epictetus
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like the CFL is also having its own Favourite Grey Cup memory contest.

http://www.cflgreycup.ca/toronto/contes ... festival=Y