Glaring Omission

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Bosco
Team Captain

Chris Speier owned a house in St Agathe - traded
Gary Carter owned a house in Dorval - traded
Otis Nixon and Larry Walker lived year round on Nun's Island - allowed to go as free agents
Warren Cromartie and Steve Kline met their wives in Montreal - gone as well.

Etc...etc...etc... :sigh:
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
When I was a passionate Expos fan
First Bosco, now you. Guess we found them all. 8)
I followed the Expos as much as I could via TV, but that declined yearly after the Jays came into existence and garnered the TV market....sigh I can still picture the Rick Monday HR against Rogers, the first major setback that the Expos experienced during the period in time that they could have won a few World Series if the stars aligned even a tad better.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Tighthead
Legend

Bosco, I remember how tough it was to get guys to come to Montreal. Bryn Smith complained about having to go across the border to get decent groceries (Montreal, not exactly an epicurean backwater).

The Expos had Rex Hudler, who was hard as nails, played to win, and was a fan favourite. So they traded him, and he balled his eyes out at the press conference. That was a classic moment in Expos history - trade a guy who wants to be there.

There was a book written about 10 years ago by someone named Gallagher - lots of inside scoop on the crazy Expos.
Bosco
Team Captain

That would have been Danny Gallagher, Tighthead. What was even more bizarre was when Steve Rogers' wife complained about groceries - and she was from Winnipeg!

It truly was a shame how the that franchise was allowed to be sold down the river by the carpetbagging duo of Claude Brochu, and Jeffrey Loria. :sigh: Ownership can mean the world in professional sports - we see that with the committment of David Braley - and, on the flip side - the greed / neglect of Brochu and Loria.
Last edited by Bosco on Sat May 19, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tighthead
Legend

Danny Gallagher - "You Don't Forget Homers Like That". You can get it from the Vancouver library. If you haven't read it, I recommend it.
Bosco
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:Danny Gallagher - "You Don't Forget Homers Like That". You can get it from the Vancouver library. If you haven't read it, I recommend it.
Thanks! :thup: I'll look it up!
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
I followed the Expos as much as I could via TV, but that declined yearly after the Jays came into existence and garnered the TV market....sigh I can still picture the Rick Monday HR against Rogers, the first major setback that the Expos experienced during the period in time that they could have won a few World Series if the stars aligned even a tad better.
They were in first place one year when a strike halted play for the balance of the season. BB
Tighthead
Legend

Between Rammer and BB, they have nicely summed up the two key injuries to my baseball soul. Thanks for the memories.

It should also be noted that the early 80s Expos were torpedoed by the white powdery stuff, although other teams in the league (Pirates) were likely as bad.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:I remember Pete Rose bought a big spread in Montreal, and he lasted less than one year...
I guess Rose gambled that he was going to stay for a while but lost.
CartWheelFan
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:
Tighthead wrote:I remember Pete Rose bought a big spread in Montreal, and he lasted less than one year...
I guess Rose gambled that he was going to stay for a while but lost.
As far as I know that wasn't the only thing Rose gambled on! haha
freddyf

BTW, who are the 12 players in the calendar (don't get season tickets)
Rammer
Team Captain

Murphy (May), McCallum (June), Dickenson (July), Williams (August). Johnson (Sept), Miles (October), Simon (November), Floyd (December), Jackson (January), Glatt (February), Pierce (March), Hunt (April).
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
Nope. You can add one more.