Fan Fest June 9th

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I agree with Orangeshoes. The Lions better not take the fans for granted. The best FanFest was the one they had at the old Expo grounds. They actually had a spaghetti dinner instead of a stale hotdog.
Were you out their yesterday to pass judgement? No you werent. BB
Do you know this for a fact ?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Time for a little rant here.

It seems every year the Lions are getting a little more uppity about events like this. I know one family that brought a nephew down from the interior, and really wanted a picture of Brent Johnson and himself. Problem? Not in past years but this year the Lions decided to hide away Dickenson, Clermont, Geroy and Johnson in a separate building where you had to pay $10.00 for an autographed photo. Not cool.
I sure hope the $10 was a fund raiser for someone and not the Lions attempting to make money off of it. Still it wasn't something they were advertising ahead of it.

My daughter's dance musical kept me from going this year but my 9-year-old son did make it out and said he had a good time although he returned home with his new Lions hat full of autographs of players likely not to make the team. :lol: :sigh:

My unofficial Fanfest has always been the first practice in Surrey after final cuts (usually on a Sunday). You get your first glimpse of the opening game roster and, by the sounds of it, a lot closer to the action.
D
Team Captain

David wrote:Pretty strong turnout yesterday, both in terms of Lionbackers and the general public. :thup:

Here is a sample of Lionbackers that turned up at Fanfest (please add the names of anyone I may have missed):

AC/DCrocks
B.C. Fan
Ballistic Bob
Blue Bomber Girl
Bosco
Canuck_4_Life
Charlene
D
David
Don Miller
I bleed Orange
LFITQ & Crew
Macnews
Nelson 95
Ophelia
Orange Shoes 99
Pacific
Prairiedog
Quesdad& Crew
Rammer& Crew
Shelion
Smphantom

* I think I saw Dan_Payne_Fan there but I'm not too sure.

DH 8)
Lovely and talented Shelly
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Charlene

Ballistic Bob wrote:
David wrote:Pretty strong turnout yesterday, both in terms of Lionbackers and the general public. :thup:

Here is a sample of Lionbackers that turned up at Fanfest (please add the names of anyone I may have missed):

AC/DCrocks
B.C. Fan
Ballistic Bob
Blue Bomber Girl
Bosco
Canuck_4_Life
Charlene
D
David
Don Miller
I bleed Orange
LFITQ
Macnews
Nelson 95
Ophelia
Orange Shoes 99
Pacific
Prairiedog
Quesdad
Rammer
Shelion
Smphantom

* I think I saw Dan_Payne_Fan there but I'm not too sure.

DH 8)
Can I add Charlenes younger sister Tiffany and Sheilions better half Fuzzy. BB
I hate you.
bbgirl
Legend

Hahaha. Poor Charlene. :sigh:
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

I didn't see I Bleed Orange

I didn't like the idea of the fantastic 4 sequestered in the gym either, for a $10 autograph.

Like Sammy said I hope the money goes to charity or maybe it goes to Braley to help pay for his huge bling bill :lol:

There are lots of things for the kids to do.
Bighill is Badass
nelson95
Legend

Some players looked so thrilled to be there esp Joe Smith, Ty Williams,Glatt and Buck while a few hid away under the few shelters from the rain.

Next year I'll bring the dog
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
LFITQ
Team Captain

My biggest beef with the fanfest this year was the $10 per pic and autograph with DD, Geroy, Clermont and Johnson. You couldn't even just get in there to get an autograph, you had to pay the $10 and you got the pic. Let's not forget it was $10 per pic per player too. That gives it the potential to cost you $30 (Brent Johnson and Jason Clermont were together for one pic). Not the right way to go.

The Fanfest is supposed to be about mingling with the players. This photo op for $$ seems to take away from that severely. Hiding the "big money" players away in a special thing like that hampers the excitement. At least allow everyone to get an autograph with them even if they don't want to shell out the $10 for a "professional" pic.

That being said, after the practice we went over to the "fanfest" side and these players were more than willing to make sure everyone who wanted an autograph got one. The only disappointing thing was Dave Dickenson seemed to take off out of there rather quickly. Otherwise, Brent Johnson, Jason Clermont were their usual fabulous selves making the time to sign jerseys and posters and what not. I know my nephew was really happy to finally get Brent's autograph. Brent created a fan for life there I think.

Geroy was the last one to leave the practice field. He seemed to make sure everyone that wanted an autograph got it. Super is certainly the way to describe Geroy.

Out of fanfest I wanted my Grey Cup hat signed by the award winners. I managed to get everyone except DD and Rob Murphy. Probably could have forced the issue, but I wanted to make sure hte kids got what they wanted first.

A special season ticket holder section, is an idea for the Lions to think about in the future. There should be some perks to being a season ticket holder outside of the "extras" you get in your package. Especially considering how early you give them your money before the season even starts and you get nothing for quite sometime recognizing that.

As for other season ticket issues, I still have a HUGE pet peeve about the way some tickets get less than others without a discounted pricetag, but that is for a different thread.

Overall Fanfest went off about what I expected. I thought there might have been a few more stations and blowups for the kids, but I think those got scrubbed with the stereotypical lower mainland weather that Abbotsford was having (did I mention it was sunny and hot in the interior??).

My kids had alot of fun, and subsequently, I had a lot of fun. It was a good way to get to see fellow Lionbackers again and start to get back into the swing of things.

Will I be back? More than likely as it is the best way for us to get to see the players "up close and personal".

As for my thoughts on training camp - that is for a different thread.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Charlene

a player recognized me from Facebook.

"Charlene, right?"

Ugh :P
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

thats cool lol
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Charlene

That's lame!!!

I mean...cool that he knows my name...but lame that it was from Facebook.

:sigh:

:wink:
LFITQ
Team Captain

Charlene wrote:That's lame!!!

Well I know i could spot you in a crowd just going by your avatar on here. 8)
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Charlene

The devil horns give me away!!
MacNews
Team Captain

Charlene wrote:a player recognized me from Facebook.

"Charlene, right?"

Ugh :P
Unfortunately no Felions recognized me from Facebook. Any suggestions Charlene?

Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Charlene wrote:That's lame!!!

My guess would be either Jay Pottinger or Tyson Craiggs. Both are semi-prominent members of Lions facebook groups.