Daylight savings. Spring ahead an hour

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

3 weeks early but here to stay for 6 months. And like the Firefighters say a good time to check your smoke alarms. BB
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Daylight Savings Time came into effect three weeks earlier as a result of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 in the USA. I wonder if the Canadian government also felt that it would save energy, or if they made the change as well just to suck up to and accommodate the Americans.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I wonder how long it will take for this new energy saving to cover the cost of all the added IT work that this has caused.

It's been another Y2K but only with less lead in time.

The cost to me......not being able to go to the eval camp on sunday.......I'm on call and have a number of systems that I have to check sunday am. :bang: .........thank you George W. :bang: :bang:
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Daylight Savings Time came into effect three weeks earlier as a result of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 in the USA. I wonder if the Canadian government also felt that it would save energy, or if they made the change as well just to suck up to and accommodate the Americans.
Canada followed the USA's lead here, good idea to keep the EST, MST and PST timezone in effect across NA. The drag is as Shi Zi Mi suggests, another Y2K worry in the making.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

According to the experts the saving will be negligible but we'll see.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:According to the experts the saving will be negligible but we'll see.
I would like the daylight savings time to become our year round time, no need to adjust back for the fall/winter seasons IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

At my age there is no " spring ahead " for anything. It's more of a slow bounce.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:According to the experts the saving will be negligible but we'll see.
I would like the daylight savings time to become our year round time, no need to adjust back for the fall/winter seasons IMO.
ditto
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
smphantom
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:At my age there is no " spring ahead " for anything. It's more of a slow bounce.
Just as long as an essential appendage still springs in to action for Beth, it's all good Dale. :wink:
Stay thirsty my friends.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
They put it back in the fall so that parents aren't sending their kids to school in the pitch dark. Even under standard time, sunrise is about 8am in Vancouver near winter solstice. It would be more like 9am if we kept DST all year round. The UK has experimented with year round DST in the past to negative reaction.

I remember in Newfoundland in 1988, we experimented with Double Daylight Saving Time -- put the clock ahead TWO hours on the first weekend of April until the end of October -- so we were 2.5 hrs ahead of EDT, 5.5 hrs ahead of PDT and only 2.5 hrs behind Greenwich! It wasn't popular mainly for the above reason. At the start and end of the DDST period, sunrise wasn't until about 8:30am, and that was in St. John's -- the easternmost part of the time zone, where the sunrise is the earliest.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.