Rick Klassen Passes

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

VANCOUVER — Defensive lineman Rick Klassen, who played 10 seasons in the CFL including nine with the B.C. Lions, has died at 57 following a battle with cancer.
The Lions confirmed Klassen's death Saturday on the team's official Twitter account.

Klassen, from Sardis, B.C., was drafted as an offensive guard by the Lions in 1981, but was converted to a defensive lineman in his rookie season.
He was named the most valuable Canadian of the 1983 Grey Cup, though the Lions lost the title match 18-17 to the Toronto Argonauts.
Two years later he got a chance to hoist the iconic trophy when the Lions downed the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 37-24 to take the 1985 Grey Cup.
Klassen joined the Saskatchewan Roughriders for the 1988 season before returning to the Lions for the final two years of his career. he announced his retirement after the 1990 season.

Over a span of 160 CFL games, Klassen recorded 66 sacks and added another four and a half in two Grey Cup appearances.
Klassen was voted a member of the Lions' All-Time Dream Team in 2003 as part of the team's 50th anniversary celebrations. He was inducted into the B.C. Lions Wall of Fame in 2007 as part of the Lions' 1985 Grey Cup team.

http://www.tsn.ca/former-lions-dl-klass ... 7-1.628503
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Condolences to his family. He was an excellent defensive end.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Some older videos about him posted by his son, Chad.

Sympathies to his family.
Last edited by Robbie on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Thanks fellows for all this. Robbie, especially thank you for these revisited but timely video links -- the career overview and the important concussions segment. We all know there's a lot of serious sacrifices made by these athletes for our entertainment's sake, but I did not know of Rick's particular case -- or had forgotten perhaps (having had my own concussion issues -- non-sporting).
I think we're always especially fond of footballers who (precious few) come from our own little neck of the woods -- and although geographical proximity in no way borrows or lends credit for anyone's success of course I take pride in it just the same. As it happened, Rick grew up just across the Vedder River from me. In late summer, with a strong arm, you could easily skip a stone across it, river-bank to river-bank. Me on my village side and he on his. I can't say for certain that ever literally happened quite that way as I didn't personally know him (he was five years my junior), it's a nice notion nonetheless, as we wish him safe voyage -- gently on down the stream... #90 in orange. Cheers.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sad. I've been working in Fort St.John all year. I got to talking on a regular basis with a fine young lady who was bartending at Brown's Socialhouse. She told me her significant other's step-dad used to play for the Lions. I ask her who it was and she said Rick Klassen. I told her the story about Rick's nickname with the Lions was "Knucksie" because he had short stubby finger that somebody (probably Hebeler) claimed looked like pigs knuckles. Last time I saw him he was sitting in the row in front of me at McMahon at the 1993 Grey Cup.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
D
Team Captain

Sad to hear of this loss, He was a stud on the Dline for the Lions for a number of years.

Condolences to friends and family
I own The Grey Cup! .com
David
Team Captain

Very sorry to learn of this news. Rick was a Lion great.

I enjoyed the feature on him. Thanks Robbie.

That 1985 Grey Cup win had a profound effect. I noticed that both he (and Al Wilson) get choked up talking about it all these years later.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

RIP, Rick Klassen.

One of the great ones. My recollection is of his incredible energy. :thup:
Robbie wrote:Some older videos about him posted by his son, Chad.
Great videos, Robbie. Thank you.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:RIP, Rick Klassen.

One of the great ones. My recollection is of his incredible energy. :thup:
Robbie wrote:Some older videos about him posted by his son, Chad.
Great videos, Robbie. Thank you.
Very sad news.

Incredible energy indeed. The guy had a motor. He was a big contributor in the mid 80s to what was likely the best Lions D of all time.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Way too soon for an absolute gem of a player. Always seem to play his best in the biggest of games. The fact he not only switched from o-line to d-line but at an all-star level tells you what kind of an athlete Rick was. Loved how he and Hebeler went crazy coming out of the tunnel for those epic playee intros in the 1980s and their sack celebrations too.

We were treated to something special thanks in part the old territorial exemption picks. That great 80s defence had 4 Lower Mainland products as starters — Klassen, Hebeler, Jackson and Konar. Don't think we will ever see that again.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

ImageImage
Wear orange or wear nothing
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Correct me if Im wrong but did Rick have a Travel Ageny with Ian Sinclair. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
David
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:Correct me if Im wrong but did Rick have a Travel Ageny with Ian Sinclair. Thnx BB
No Bob, that would be Gerald Roper and Ian Sinclair (W.E. Travel), not Rick Klassen.

TSN Radio's Donnie Taylor had a nice tribute to Rick today. Talked about how big the Lions were here in the 80s and the players were like rock stars. Rick was always a personable guy to Don and a great, thoughtful interview.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Correct me if Im wrong but did Rick have a Travel Ageny with Ian Sinclair. Thnx BB
No Bob, that would be Gerald Roper and Ian Sinclair (W.E. Travel), not Rick Klassen.

TSN Radio's Donnie Taylor had a nice tribute to Rick today. Talked about how big the Lions were here in the 80s and the players were like rock stars. Rick was always a personable guy to Don and a great, thoughtful interview.

Can't recall the year (84?) but it was one of those epic Bomber games and I think on a rare Friday night at BC Place. Lions were down to their back up QB (Tim Cowan) and had no healthy import RBs so gave the start to the "other" Don Taylor, a perennial Canadian back up. . Defence was lights out in a big Lions win with Klassen diving to trip up Clements for a huge sack near the Bombers goal line. Taylor was the unexpected star rushing for over 100 yards.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

RIP . Condolences to his family and friends. Way to young to pass.