1977 grey cup champ. RIP Cal.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
The_Pauser
Legend

RIP :(
Roar you Lions roar!
TheFanWithTheFlag
Starter

RIP CAL WE WILL MISS YOU FOR SURE. Great coach..

Thefanwiththeflag
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Far too few of these great CFL icons are around these days.

I recall before the Bombers hired Cal that the name of John Michaels was in media. Michaels was both a former Bomber player and assistant coach to Bud Grant in Wpg and at that time was with the Vikings where he served as an assistant there for 27 years. When asked about his interest in the Bomber HC job he not only said no but stated how there were good coaches there now in the CFL like Cal Murphy who are far more qualified than he was (having been out of the CFL for some years by then). I am pretty sure he named Cal Murphy as his example. I liked that statement as I too felt that the CFL should develop coaches from within.

The Murphy coached Bombers had some pretty tough players on them especially on the defense.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Cal Murphy always conjures up for me the running feud he had with the Lions Eric Tillman calling the latter a "red piss ant"
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm pretty sure it was Cal Murphy who started the whole thing whining about piped in crowd noise at BC Place stadium. We sure have had fun with that rumour over the years. Thanks Cal.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Far too few of these great CFL icons are around these days.

I recall before the Bombers hired Cal that the name of John Michaels was in media. Michaels was both a former Bomber player and assistant coach to Bud Grant in Wpg and at that time was with the Vikings where he served as an assistant there for 27 years. When asked about his interest in the Bomber HC job he not only said no but stated how there were good coaches there now in the CFL like Cal Murphy who are far more qualified than he was (having been out of the CFL for some years by then). I am pretty sure he named Cal Murphy as his example. I liked that statement as I too felt that the CFL should develop coaches from within.

The Murphy coached Bombers had some pretty tough players on them especially on the defense.
Some credit for that goes to Paul Jones who was head scout for the Bombers back then.......he had a knack for finding GREAT linebackers in particular.
Lloyd