Dave Skrien passes on

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

joe kapp22
Legend

The BC Lions Football Club is saddened today by the loss of former head coach Dave Skrien who passed away on Tuesday in Mound, Minnesota.

Skrien was elevated to the post of head coach in 1961, the same year the club acquired the rights to quarterback Joe Kapp. Together, the two would lead the Leos to Canadian football prominence and an appearance in the 1963 Grey Cup. In 1964, Skrien’s squad backed by stars such as Kapp, Willie Fleming, Norm Fieldgate and Tom Brown went undefeated at home and enjoyed an 11-2-3 overall record on their way to claiming BC’s first Grey Cup Championship.

Skrien’s head coaching time in BC spanned 92 games (1961-67) and he finished with a 42-45-5 mark. He returned to the CFL with the Edmonton Eskimos in 1969 and finished his CFL coaching days with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1972. His 42 wins at the helm of the Lions place him fourth all-time behind Wally Buono (90), Don Matthews (56) and Vic Rapp (53).
http://bclions.com/article/lions-mourn- ... ave-skrien

Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

R.I.P. Dave Skrien (1929 - 2010)

I'm glad that he was around to receive his much belated 1964 Grey Cup ring.

ImageImage
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:R.I.P. Dave Skrien (1929 - 2010)

I'm glad that he was around to receive his much belated 1964 Grey Cup ring.
Ditto that heart-felt sentiment for me as well Robbie...

Today’s version of our Leos could use a new Dave Skrien, maybe some kind of lost identity or inspiration rediscovered again.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
David
Team Captain

Kudos to Mike Beamish for writing this article and reaching out to Mr. Skrien's wife. I thought a letter writer to the Vancouver Sun put it nicely in yesterday's "Letters Of The Week" (back page):

As a Vancouver native born and raised, it is nice to see someone like Dave Skrien being remembered and written about upon passing, he was a big part of the city at the time and coached our first Grey Cup win, roots matter and this was a class act story!

Sean Cassidy
Vancouver

Although he was a bit before my time, I agree. Well done, Mike!

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

Its a better world we're going to.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Former BC Lions DL Ed Enos who stayed in Canada passed away a while back from this story. I missed it.

He stands out for me for one saying I recall he made and I always kept it in mind as small guy playing football and soccer as my two main sports:

"You can't measure the size of a man's heart."

UConnHuskies.com Home

Former Husky Great Dr. Ed Enos Passes Away

UCONNHUSKIESDOTCOM

NOTE: Dr. Ed Enos, a member of UConn’s All-Century Football team, passed away on Tuesday at the age of 72. The following article was published in the Montreal Gazette.

Dr. Ed Enos, who made major contributions to athletics at Concordia University and one of its founding institutions, Loyola College, as director of the department of athletics for more than 20 years, died early Tuesday of heart failure after abdominal surgery. He was 72.

He also was a founding chairperson of Concordia's acclaimed department of exercise science.

Enos was a graduate of the University of Connecticut, where he played football as an offensive and defensive lineman. He was named to the university's 100th anniversary all-time football team in 1998.

Upon leaving UConn, Enos played pro football in the Canadian Football League with the B.C. Lions in 1957 and 1958. Enos joined the coaching ranks at the college level in the U.S. and served as defensive coach with the Alouettes in 1963-1964.

Enos was appointed director of physical education and athletics at Loyola College in 1965 and immediately launched a progressive and wide-ranging program. When Loyola and Sir George Williams University merged in 1975, he became Concordia's first athletic director.

During his 22 years as athletic director, Loyola and Concordia varsity teams won 80 league and six national championships and he initiated a comprehensive intramural program, as well as the Loyola Sports Hall of Fame.

Enos's accomplishments went beyond athletics as an innovator and academic. He was an associate professor of the department of exercise science, assistant dean of the faculty of arts and science and a member of Concordia's first senate.

He also founded the university's Institute of Comparative Physical Education, and at the international level, served as founding director of the First China-Canada Sports Research Exchange Program and the First China-Canada Sports Facilities Exchange study program.

Enos's greatest honour was bestowed on him in 1987, when he was received by Pope John Paul II at the Vatican in recognition of his efforts to use sport as a means of "promoting international understanding, the brotherhood of man and peace."

Visitation will be at Collins Clarke MacGillivray White, 222 Rte. 20, Pointe Claire, on March 15, from 7-9 p.m., and March 16, 2-5 p.m., and 7-9 p.m. Funeral service will be at 11 a.m. March 17 at St. Edmund of Canterbury, 105 Beaconsfield Blvd.

Enos is survived by his wife, Janice (McCluskey), their three children, Ed III, Michael and Laurie, and grandchildren.

UConn Football Home

NCAA BIG EAST Conference Hockey East Atlantic Hockey IMG WTIC
CBS College Sports
Visit other CBS Interactive Sites
© 2012 CBS Interactive. All rights reserved.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy