Ray Nettles passes

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of #51

http://bclions.com/article/lions-mourn- ... ay-nettles
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

That is way too early, RIP Mr Nettles and my condolences to the family members.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While it is far too soon for him to leave this life, it is good that he has left in a way that can still be a beacon of hope for others who have struggled as he did with many demons and addictions. For that his wife and family I am sure can be as proud of him as his former coaches, team mates and friends. Nettles was a giant in sports:

"Ranked No. 51 on the Florida Times-Union list of the 100 greatest athletes of the 20th century, Nettles was an impact player on Tennessee teams that went 21-3 in his two seasons (1970-71) as a starting linebacker."

“I was proud for his accomplishments in football, but I’m more proud of his accomplishments this last year,” said Bill Battle, Nettles’ former head coach at Tennessee. “He was fighting a terrible disease that not many people win. But in overcoming his addictions, he was trying to send the message that what he did all those years wasn’t the right way to do it. He wasn’t afraid of death, like he wasn’t afraid of anything.

“Ray came back and fought a fight [against addiction] he hadn’t been able to win over decades. In doing that, he regained respect and dignity in himself, which put him at peace.”

--------------------
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One of the Lions' greatest linebackers. Condolences to his family and friends.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

A loss for football fans everywhere. All the best to those close to him.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

How I would give my eyetooth to find another Ray Nettles to play the SAM linebacker for our current Leos, with the pride and the passion that he played with.

To his wife and family go our condolences, with our grateful thanks that he chose to be a BC Lion rather than join an NFL club.

Our life as fans were all enriched by the experience, and the awe of having watched him show us how that position was meant to be played.

RIP Ray.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis