RIP: Bob Ackles dead of heart attack

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I first met Bobby at the practice facility in Surrey last summer. I was inside buying tickets to a game when he came down the stairs and asked where I had got my Canucks hat that I was wearing. I told him and then said that I was just buying a ticket to the game that week and he thanked me for coming down, then held the door open for me as we both left. When I saw him at the signing and called him "Mr. Ackles," he corrected me and said to call him Bob. When I saw him again at practice a few weeks later and said "Hi, Bob," he smiled. I'm going to miss his interviews on TEAM 1040. I'll miss seeing him walk the sidelines at BC Place before a game. I'll miss seeing him around the practice field and it's such a shame that he won't be able to enjoy the retractable roof on the stadium he fought so hard to keep. :no:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Bobby isn't really gone. Next time you go to a game, look around. Fans in the stands, teams at the benches, officials on the field. He is responsible for all of that. Each whistle, snap and TD, is proof that Bob Ackles is still with us and always will be. Thanks Bobby for your wonderful gifts. You are always gonna be the #1 BC Lions Fan.

My heartfelt sadness to the Ackles family today!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
lion24
Legend

Just to add to ThreeTimesOneMinusOne's post on the book signing and thanks to Rick as well. This kind of stuff means a lot to someone not able to make it to many games living in another Province.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
smphantom
Legend

When I saw it on TSN.ca, I was shocked, and I am still in disbelief. Words are hard to come by right now, but my condolences to the family.

R.I.P. Bobby

Stay thirsty my friends.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

holy *poop*.
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Lots of very nice things being said at other sites!
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

2 Pts For B.A.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Oh my God, I just came to Lionbackers to check on the latest buzz about the Rider's game and saw a thread title that completed devastated me.

I am at a complete loss for what to say, except "Thanks, Bob". My deepest condolences to his family and to everyone who loves the Lions and the CFL.

I'm literally in tears at this news.
Ravi
Legend

This news truly saddens me as Bob Ackles was the B.C. Lions IMO. However, beyond that, he was an integral part of the CFL and Canadian football in general. This is an enormous loss for all parties (I saw him as a protector of my Argos as well). He will be greatly missed. :bawl:
firstdown45

where does the team go from here
Leothelion
All Star

Bobby always had time for us at practice and at training camp. He will be greatly missed.

leo
joesports
All Star

What horrible news for the Lions and the CFL.

There won't be a dry eye in the house at the next home game.
Dieter
Rookie

The Okanagan Sun are very saddened today to hear of the death of BC Lions President and CEO Bob Ackles. Mr. Ackles was a pillar of the Lions football club and of amateur football in BC.

Personally speaking, when I contacted him for his advice on how to establish the Okanagan Sun version of the Lions business group called the Waterboys, he was most giving of his time. After our initial phone call that lasted well over an hour, he made a point of calling back on his own a couple times to offer some further advice. For a man with his busy schedule to take the time and extra effort he did for us, well it went above and beyond what we could have ever hoped. The Okanagan Sun WATERBOYS are privileged that he was our guest of honor of our intial meeting this past March 27.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Bob's family

Blake Roberts
Okanagan Sun Communications
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

I am stunned beyond belief like most of you. Came on to check the latest new only to find this. :no:

Condolences to the Ackles family and to the BC Lions organization. Thank you very much for all you have done to this organization Bobby!