RIP: Bob Ackles dead of heart attack

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

User avatar
DudeCFLlove
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:53 am
Location: calgary

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:35 am

Bobby Ackles was a truly great man and will be missed. All the best to his family in the days ahead.

User avatar
Zarquon
Champion
Posts: 626
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:49 pm
Location: Vancouver and BC Place Section 440 Row A Seat102
Contact:

Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:47 am

WOW I just can't believe this. I'm on the road but heard the news today and I am just shocked. This is a huge loss for the CFL, Vancouver, BC, Canada, in addition to the Lions.

We fans really owe alot to Bobby Ackles as this franchise and even the CFL as a whole was in trouble before his return. What he has done for this franchise in the last few years is absolutly remarkable.

One story I would like to pass along is how willing he was to hear suggestions. Over the last couple of years I have sent sugestions to the Lions of how I thought they could improve the game day experience and I pleasently suprised to recieve a response from Mr. Ackles on these suggestions.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.

User avatar
Eye in the sky
prospect
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:30 am

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:19 pm

This is my first post on Lionbackers, as I felt this was indeed a most worthly cause.

Bobby Ackles was an icon, an institution and an inspiration to us all. I've been with the Argonauts organization for 7 years now and I'm well aware of the respect and admirations Mr. Ackles garnered throughout his life and his career. This is a devestating loss indeed. The Canadian Football League owes much of its success to people like Bobby. He will be missed dearly.

If you can muster up the strength, give yourself a pat on the back Lions fans. The outpouring of emotion and support for this wonderful man is touching and genuinely classy. Kudos to each and every one of you.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of all of us at the Toronto Argonauts when I pass along my deepest sympathies to Mr. Ackles wife and family. Godspeed Booby. Rest In Peace.

Eye in the sky

User avatar
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3032
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:18 pm
Location: Looking forward

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:32 pm

Eye in the sky wrote:This is my first post on Lionbackers, as I felt this was indeed a most worthly cause.

Bobby Ackles was an icon, an institution and an inspiration to us all. I've been with the Argonauts organization for 7 years now and I'm well aware of the respect and admirations Mr. Ackles garnered throughout his life and his career. This is a devestating loss indeed. The Canadian Football League owes much of its success to people like Bobby. He will be missed dearly.

If you can muster up the strength, give yourself a pat on the back Lions fans. The outpouring of emotion and support for this wonderful man is touching and genuinely classy. Kudos to each and every one of you.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of all of us at the Toronto Argonauts when I pass along my deepest sympathies to Mr. Ackles wife and family. Godspeed Booby. Rest In Peace.

Eye in the sky
Wow. Thank you so much. :thup: It's horrible that it takes something like this to pull us all together, but it also brings out the class of the league. Thanks again, Eye in the Sky, and welcome.
Real women wear orange!!

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21339
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:13 pm
Location: Vancouver

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:00 pm

Zarquon wrote:
One story I would like to pass along is how willing he was to hear suggestions. Over the last couple of years I have sent sugestions to the Lions of how I thought they could improve the game day experience and I pleasently suprised to recieve a response from Mr. Ackles on these suggestions.
Absolutely, on several occasions under the Adam Rita regime I wrote with suggestions on how they can improve the fan atmosphere at BC Place. I never received a reply from the Lions. When Mr. Ackles returned, I again wrote with my ideas. Much to my surprise I received a note from him thanking for the suggestions. To me that spoke volumes about Bob Ackles and the organization he put together.

User avatar
joesports
All Star
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:35 am
Location: Section 241 with a great view

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:38 pm

From the Miami Dolphins website:
Statement From Dolphins President Bryan Wiedmeier On The Passing Of Bob Ackles
July 7, 2008

Bob Ackles, who served as the Dolphins’ Director of Football Operations from 1996-2000, passed away of a heart attack on July 6, 2008, at the age of 69. During his Dolphins tenure, Ackles worked closely with Head Coach Jimmy Johnson to add such stalwarts as Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain to the team’s roster. A long-time football executive in both the NFL and the Canadian Football League, Ackles last served as the President and Chief Executive Officer of the B.C. Lions of the CFL. He was a member of both the CFL Hall of Fame and the B.C. Sports Hall of Fame.

Read a statement from Dolphins President Bryan Wiedmeier on the passing of Ackles:

“We were saddened to learn about the untimely passing of our friend and colleague, Bob Ackles. During his time in Miami, no one worked harder than he did to maintain our success. He was highly respected by everyone he worked with, both within the Dolphin organization and throughout the National Football League.

“Bob started every day with a smile and kept that same upbeat disposition no matter the circumstances. As someone who worked his way up the pro football ladder from the bottom, he never forgot his roots. He would treat ball boys and interns the same way he did coaches and players -- with respect, appreciation, and admiration.

"He will be missed by everyone who was lucky enough to know him, and on behalf of the entire Dolphin organization I want to express our condolences to his wife, Kay, and his family.”

User avatar
SammyGreene
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 6534
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:52 am
Location: Ladner

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:46 pm

Team 1040 reporting:

Private funeral service: on Saturday

Public ceremony: July 18th game.

User avatar
Rammer
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 22080
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:04 pm
Location: Coquitlam, B.C.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:43 pm

SammyGreene wrote:Team 1040 reporting:

Private funeral service: on Sunday

Public ceremony: July 18th game.
Condolences to the Ackles family, truly an unexpected loss to the Greatest of all Lion executives.

Glad that the Lions are allowing the public to honour him one last time at this venue. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low

tosh
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:30 am

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:19 pm

rip bobby

User avatar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3100
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:39 pm
Location: Belize City, Belize

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:42 pm

I can't remember the loss of a public figure or sports personality that has evoked so much genuine heartfelt emotion. Naturally people like Wally, and Lui have lost a member of their family and they are understandably emotional when speaking of Mr. Ackles. But the emotion in the voices of ordinary fans who call the talk shows to share memories of a single interaction with the man, or hearing so many reporters and radio hosts struggling to maintain their composure on air says so how much Bobby Akles meant to everyone. Even David Pratt was unable to finish his "rant" today. Hearing him lose it on air was powerful, emotional, even beautiful. There can be no question how deeply Bobby Ackles touched people and how much we are all mourning his loss right now.

I've been thinking a lot today about why this particular death has affected me so strongly. I guess it's because for me, reflections on Bob Ackles life's work, and how many heartfelt accolades he is now receiving, just emphasize why I have always loved the BC Lions and why I am so proud of what that organization has become once again under the leadership of Bobby Ackles.

Like many other Lionbackers, I suffered through the dark days of the Lions recent history. I remember friends laughing at me when I offered to take them to a game. More than once I actually went to a game by myself and gave my extra tickets away outside BC Place. When people criticized the Lions for being poorly run back in the 1990s, I agreed with them. When the Lions went 3-15 and people said they were a lousy team, I didn't pretend they were not. But I always believed that the CFL was a great product and that the Lions were an institution worth saving and supporting. And I never shied away from that opinion. I always hoped that maybe one day they would return to something close to what we had in terms of success in the mid 1980s, or at least public relevance that they enjoyed in the 1960s and 1970s.

So I think that's one of the reasons why I am so upset over the death of Bobby Ackles. Bobby loved this team, and believed in the CFL more than anyone. What he managed to achieve in 6 short years, since his return to BC, has not only been great for the BC Lions and the CFL, it's been a vindication for all of us who stuck by this team, and this league, through the days when it was not cool to love CFL football. The accolades that have been pouring in for Bobby Ackles prove that our loyalties and passions were not misplaced. Even in death he continues to be the best ambassador the CFL has probably ever had.

User avatar
Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 6820
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:15 pm

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:50 pm

Belize City Lion wrote:Like many other Lionbackers, I suffered through the dark days of the Lions recent history. I remember friends laughing at me when I offered to take them to a game. More than once I actually went to a game by myself and gave my extra tickets away outside BC Place. When people criticized the Lions for being poorly run back in the 1990s, I agreed with them. When the Lions went 3-15 and people said they were a lousy team, I didn't pretend they were not. But I always believed that the CFL was a great product and that the Lions were an institution worth saving and supporting. And I never shied away from that opinion. I always hoped that maybe one day they would return to something close to what we had in terms of success in the mid 1980s, or at least public relevance that they enjoyed in the 1960s and 1970s.

So I think that's one of the reasons why I am so upset over the death of Bobby Ackles. Bobby loved this team, and believed in the CFL more than anyone. What he managed to achieve in 6 short years, since his return to BC, has not only been great for the BC Lions and the CFL, it's been a vindication for all of us who stuck by this team, and this league, through the days when it was not cool to love CFL football. The accolades that have been pouring in for Bobby Ackles prove that our loyalties and passions were not misplaced. Even in death he continues to be the best ambassador the CFL has probably ever had.
Super post, and epitomizes what we are all feeling. Cheers. :beer:

User avatar
Soundy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Watching on TSNHD.
Contact:

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 pm

I loved the quote from Joe Theismann (going from memory): "I'm sad that Bobby no longer walks this earth... but thrilled that I got to walk beside him for a short time."

And yeah, hearing Pratt completely lose his composure was one of the most moving moments yet.

Word today was that the team will wear an orange paw with "Bob" on it, on their helmets for the rest of the season. :beauty:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

User avatar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: Kerrisdale

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:47 pm

Soundy wrote:...hearing Pratt completely lose his composure was one of the most moving moments yet.
I missed this but it looks like 1040 has it uploaded on their website (I think they actually upload all of their local programming content):

http://www.team1040.ca/podcast/pratt_ta ... July7~.mp3

Large file (144MB) so I'm still downloading it for another hour on my slow connection :oops:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.

User avatar
Soundy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Watching on TSNHD.
Contact:

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:12 pm

They have podcasts of all their shows - once a show is finished, it goes online.

The breakdown is during "Pratt's Rant", just after 4pm (about an hour into the show).
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

User avatar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: Kerrisdale

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:47 pm

Soundy wrote:They have podcasts of all their shows - once a show is finished, it goes online.

The breakdown is during "Pratt's Rant", just after 4pm (about an hour into the show).
It finally finished downloading for me and I'm listening to that very part of the nearly three hours of tape right now (cue to 53:35 if you've downloaded it) as I type.

Wow. Pratt was really overcome. Good on DT to jump in and let him regroup.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest