RIP: Bob Ackles dead of heart attack

Info and tributes to former Lions who have past away

Moderator: Team Captains

I_Bleed_Orange
Starter

I lost my father to a heart attack only a few years ago. For me the feeling of finality now, as it did then, is taking time to set in. I extend my deepest condolences to Kay, Scott, Steve, their families and their friends. You have lost the centerpiece of your lives. I too feel your loss.

Today I am a lion cub that belongs to a very large pride of lions. We have lost our leader. The pride is confused and trying to make sense of it all.

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to meet Bob several times over the last few years. He was wonderful to speak with and I felt that he was honestly interested in who I was. I am so grateful that he was able to leave us his story “The Waterboy” as a window into his life.

I began to follow the BC Lions in 1969 when I grew up in northern BC. In that time you built our team from nothing to be powerful – and then you came back and did it again. Thank you!

Thank you for what you have given to Vancouver, all of BC and also to Canada. And thank you for enjoying the work that you did.

I know that your spirit will stay with our pride, just as my father’s spirit stays with me.

Eric Froese
I'm feelin' fine
Sitting in Row A - Sec 39

http://picasaweb.google.com/SayYesToFun
almo89
Legend

After a couple of days to digest this, it still feels unreal. I'm a 23 year old guy that has been following the Lions throughout the lean years of the 90s. I never met Bobby, but I have heard so much about him especially when he returned in 2002. I wish I could have met him.
Spud387
Champion

Seeing how much love and respect the Lions organization showed for Bobby. I hope whoever takes over his duties, takes over the same philosophy so Bobby's legacy and BC lions success will continue.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:After a couple of days to digest this, it still feels unreal. I'm a 23 year old guy that has been following the Lions throughout the lean years of the 90s. I never met Bobby, but I have heard so much about him especially when he returned in 2002. I wish I could have met him.
I only met him the once, at Sports n Stuff last year, when he signed my copy of The Water Boy. If you haven't yet, READ THIS BOOK! As Pratt said, it's one of the most HONEST sports books you'll ever read. Bobby puts all of himself in there for the world to see - you feel you really know the man by the time you're through that book.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Vancouver Giants web site just added a note to Bob Ackles:

http://www.vancouvergiants.com/home.html

THE GIANTS EXPRESS THEIR DEEPEST CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF BOB ACKLES, PRESIDENT & CEO OF THE BC LIONS, WHO PASSED AWAY LAST SUNDAY

So that means, the Vancouver Canucks are the only local team whose web page does not acknowledge Bob Ackles (yet).
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Also a nice tribute on the Eskimos website http://www.esks.com

quote:
Former Eskimo President and CEO Hugh Campbell says “ 47 football seasons ago I met Bobby Ackles at my first CFL game when BC played Ottawa at Empire Stadium. His enthusiasm for the game and knowledge of the League were huge factors in me eventually joining the CFL. His influence on football in Vancouver has been monumental and he’s been a CFL standard bearer throughout the last half century. All CFL fans should know that our League would not be here today were it not for the work of Bob and the foundation he helped build. My thoughts and prayers are with Kay, Scott and Steve and the entire family. I will miss my friend”.
Last edited by Belize City Lion on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

To truly honour the class of Bobby Ackles we should try and keep this thread for tributes, memories and condolences only.

Nothing would disrespect his memory more than picking apart who did or didn't say something at the time of his passing.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

My condolences to Kay and the rest of the Ackles family.
Bighill is Badass
Mikemike
All Star

It's been many many years since I have posted here at Lionbackers, but I had to stop by and pay my Respects to Bob Ackles and his family.

Rest in Peace Bob.

I love the illistration in the Provence today with Bobby handing god the bucket of water. A great tribute to the best thing that ever happend to our team.

He will be remembered and missed.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

First, let me clearly state that this is in NO WAY a rip on any Canucks fans.... just something I saw that made me chuckle.

Here's a purrfect example of how even people who never knew about Bob Ackles and how important he was to the team, are paying tribute:
From the canucks.com website forum, a poster calling himself Mr. Luongo writes, "bobby isn't just a player, he's a legend".

As they say, it's the thought that counts.

link: http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?show ... 0&start=80
Dan
Rookie

I was in total shock today when I heard the news, I just returned from holidays and this is my first opportunity to post.

I had th great pleasure of meeting Bobby at Sports n Stuff a few months ago and wait an incredible man to talk to. The people he has met and the lives he has touched are endless, if it wasn't for this man then football would have been lost in this city years ago.

My thoughts and prayers are with Kay and the rest of the Ackles family.
Thank you Bobby for all that you have done for the people of this city and the entire CFL. You will be truly missed
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Soundy wrote:They have podcasts of all their shows - once a show is finished, it goes online.

The breakdown is during "Pratt's Rant", just after 4pm (about an hour into the show).
It finally finished downloading for me and I'm listening to that very part of the nearly three hours of tape right now (cue to 53:35 if you've downloaded it) as I type.

Wow. Pratt was really overcome. Good on DT to jump in and let him regroup.
I'm on dialup now and just can't get them to come in.. way too slow. It would be great too as I can't get radio and listening to the same music all day is not what I like.. damn I thought I could get the team but just a day old. Maybe save some on disk?
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I got the sad news last Sunday up at Harrison. No one up their to commiserate with. Its good to be home today with fellow fans of Bob. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
LFITQ
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Soundy wrote:...hearing Pratt completely lose his composure was one of the most moving moments yet.
I missed this but it looks like 1040 has it uploaded on their website (I think they actually upload all of their local programming content):

http://www.team1040.ca/podcast/pratt_ta ... July7~.mp3

Large file (144MB) so I'm still downloading it for another hour on my slow connection :oops:
Too bad it seems to be gone from their site and itunes already ... Would have liked to take a listen to it myself.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??