1994 - Canada vs USA

Details and Discussions of Each Season of BC Lions Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good observation. It looks like Fernandez didn't officially win the 1985 Grey Cup either.

He's not on the official BC Lions Grey Cup winning roster for both seasons. Jenkins is not on the 1985 list, and Trevathan is not on the 1994 list.
http://www.bclions.com/uploads/assets/B ... ecords.pdf

But I'm sure each team has its own rules and policies with regards to giving official team Grey Cup rings and I'm sure Fernandez and Jenkins received rings in 1985, as did Trevathan in 1994.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

BC 15 at Sacramento 15

Not a win for the Lions, but at least not a huge blowout loss like the 1993 regular season finale.

BC 31 at Baltimore 48

Revenge would come in a few weeks later.

WDSF - BC 24 at Edmonton 23

I stated that the unsung hero would be Lions QB Kent Austin who came in relief when starting QB Danny McManus became injured.

WDF - BC 37 at Calgary 36

Yes, there's more to this exciting game other than the Lions final drive. With Cory Philpot fumbling the ball away in the Lions penultimate drive with less than three minutes remaining, I'm sure Lions fans had huge doubts as to whether BC would get the ball back anymore, let alone winning the playoff game.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Here you go, the 1994 Grey Cup in its entirety. :beer:

祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In this more recent article, Steve Armitage admits and explains his embarrassing mistake. Hopefully, he petitioned to the voters to never allow early voting to take place again.
A veteran of 27 Grey Cups, CBC Sports broadcaster Steve Armitage has seen it all in covering the Canadian Football League's championship game over the years, but there's one incident that still makes him shake his head and laugh.

Back in 1994, Armitage made an embarrassing, but understandable, mistake before a live television audience.

He gave the Grey Cup's MVP award to the wrong player.

There was a lot at stake in the 82nd Grey Cup in Vancouver. For the first time in league history national pride was put on the line as the hometown B.C. Lions hosted the Baltimore CFLers, the first U.S.-based team to challenge for the championship.

"It was kind of like Team Canada versus the Russians," said Armitage. "There was a huge amount of hoopla in that game."

It was a hard-fought, nail-biting contest with the lead changing three times before Lui Passaglia lifted a field goal as time expired to give the Lions a 26-23 victory.

Working as a sideline reporter for CBC and in charge of trophy presentation, Armitage was in the middle of a chaotic scene as he made his way through delirious fans who stormed the field at the end of the game. The situation was so crazy that Armitage had to make the presentations in the Lions' dressing room.

To nobody's surprise he awarded the MVP to Passaglia.

"At the end of the game, I give the keys to the truck to Passaglia," said Armitage. "It turns out he wasn't the most valuable player. It was a member of Baltimore. "

Armitage later found out the vote took place before the final play of the game and the actual winner was defensive back Karl Anthony.

"The next day I actually had to go out to the training centre and get the keys back from Lui. Fortunately, there was a dealership in B.C. that said they would give Passaglia a truck for a year. "
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/s ... ories.html

But even if Armitage apologized to Passaglia, did he apologize to the other victim, Sean Millington who was left with nothing after his MVC award was taken out of his hands and given to Passaglia? How exactly was the Most Valuable Canadian voting made? If there were separate votes for MVP and MVC with only non-imports in the MVC vote, then shouldn't Millington keep his award if he was #1 in that voting?
祝你龍年行大運。
D
Team Captain

I own The Grey Cup! .com
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like the BC Sports Hall of Fame revamped their site and this is the 1994 Lions induction page:
http://bcsportshalloffame.com/inductees ... &type=team

Written and researched by Jason Beck, Curator of the BC Sports Hall of Fame.
They say a family can fight amongst itself, but an outsider threatening one member will end up fighting the united whole.

There you have the 1994 BC Lions in a nutshell, a team equal parts dysfunction and destiny.

Two seasons removed from a desultory 3-15 campaign, general manager Eric Tillman and coach Dave Ritchie assembled a galaxy of star players—two starting quarterbacks, perhaps the best CFL defensive secondary ever assembled, a high octane offense, strong O and D lines. There was one problem: the ’94 Lions were riddled with inner turmoil. At one point it took a towel-less Lui Passaglia sprinting from the shower to break up a potential locker room brawl.

An uneven third-place West Division finish (11-6-1 record) behind bitter rivals Edmonton and Calgary meant expectations weren’t high heading into the West semi-final against the heavily-favoured Eskimos.

Sean Millington’s thirty-four yard touchdown run and Less Browne’s major off a blocked punt had BC close, but Edmonton led 23-21 with four minutes remaining, sitting first-and-goal at the Lions’ eight-yard line eager to deliver the knockout blow. With the season hanging in the balance, the magic began. Lions’ defensive back Charlie Gordon intercepted a touchdown-bound pass on the goal line and ran the Leos out of imminent danger. The Lions responded by driving down the field, a last-minute Passaglia field goal giving BC the unlikely 24-23 victory.

On to McMahon Stadium for the Western Final against the mighty Stampeders. By halftime, the offensive shootout was in full flight, Calgary leading 24-20 with Lions’ TDs by Millington and Darren Flutie. Behind 34-21, on came Danny McManus and down came the snow. A Flutie touchdown and a Passaglia field goal cut the lead to 36-31. With 1:34 remaining and Calgary threatening, magic again intervened, the Lions’ Ray Alexander blocking a Stamps’ field goal with a remarkable one-armed leap. McManus then engineered a drive for the ages punctuated by a last-second TD strike to—who else?—Flutie, capping an unforgettable 37-36 win in one of the most dramatic playoff finishes in CFL history.

Home to BC Place, where the 82nd Grey Cup pitted the Lions defending Canada’s honour against Baltimore, the first-ever championship in professional football history to feature a Canada-vs-US match-up. Baltimore carried the play into the third quarter holding a 20-10 lead. As the Lions’ all-Canadian O-line opened massive holes for Millington and Cory Philpot, the McManus-Flutie combo again sparked a BC comeback. Flutie perfectly executed a fake field goal to set up a McManus TD scramble. Two Passaglia field goals and a Tony Collier fumble recovery on the BC one-yard line when Baltimore looked certain to salt it away left the score knotted at 23-23.

It came down to one kick. Hometown boy Passaglia stepped up booting a thirty-eight-yarder with no time remaining to seal the 26-23 victory, the Lions’ third Grey Cup in club history. Sweet ‘Lu’ rode on the shoulders of teammates and fans, while players and coaches cried tears of joy mobbing one another. The delirious 55,000+ in attendance gave one of the longest standing ovations in the city’s history after witnessing one of the unlikeliest playoff runs in BC sport history.

Team Members:
Ray Alexander, Jody Allen (special teams coach), Michael Allen, Zock Allen, Sean Bevan (assistant trainer), Less Browne, Giulio Caravatta, Tyrone Chatman, Dave Chaytors, Denny Chronopoulos, Matt Clarke, Peter Classen (president), Tony Collier, Bill Comrie (owner), Mike Crumb, Dave Easley (linebacker coach), Tommy Europe, Darren Flutie, Brian Forde, Sean Foudy, Todd Furdyk, Gene Gaines (defensive back coach), Charles Gordon, Michael Gray (defensive line coach), Brian Hamilton (assistant equipment manager), Ryan Hanson, Doug Hocking, Gary Hoffman (offensive line coach), Enis Jackson, James Jefferson, Kato Kasuya (equipment manager), Cory Mantyka, Spencer McLennan, Danny McManus, Sean Millington, Yo Murphy, Henry Newby, Creighton O’Malley (equipment manager), Lui Passaglia, John Payne (offensive coordinator), Doug Peterson, Cory Philpot, Bill Quinter (director of player personnel), Bill Reichelt (head trainer), Dave Ritchie (head coach), Virgil Robertson, Glen Scrivener, Kelly Sims, Ian Sinclair, Rob Smith, Angelo Snipes, Vic Stevenson, Andrew Stewart, Jamie Taras, Eric Tillman (general manager), Mike Trevathan, Kent Warnock, Ricardo Washington, Barry Wilburn, Donovan Wright
Which includes this video.

But it looks like it's somewhat inaccurate when the narrator talks about the WDSF win over Edmonton and but it shows highlights from a road game in Saskatchewan. Furthermore, it shows a player wearing #7 catching a TD pass but QB Kent Austin wore #7 in 1994 so I wonder if those highlights even show the right season. In any case, it's always good to see a different vantage point on Darren Flutie's game winning WDF catch.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Great 1994 Grey Cup highlights:
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=cfl-greycup100/ ... 7/clip/351

And great post-game reactions and interviews:
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=cfl-greycup100/ ... 9/clip/351

But it doesn't seem to explain the two fiascos about the trophy presentation and MVP selections.

The celebration spilling to the streets and bars of Vancouver:
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=cfl-greycup100/ ... 1/clip/270

It's good that there was no riot. How did the celebration compare to 2011?
祝你龍年行大運。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Just posting to acknowledge today, Nov 27, 2014, as the 20th anniversary of the greatest game ever played at BC Place. No further explanation needed for regulars here. There's a youtube video of (most of) the game posted further up on this page for those who want to re-live the magic. It's the American broadcast and features current TSN/CFL pbp man Chris Cuthbert as sideline reporter.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It was a strange day as I woke up and didn't have tickets. But it was early and I had a feeling I was going to be at the game when I heard that IIRC that they were selling some 5000 more tickets. So I called my friend and said let's get down. Get tickets, eat breakfast and get to the game early. We did.

But the WDF final is still a finish that I think was the greatest ever.

Dave Ritchie putting in Ray Alexander who blocked the FG. So cold - hanging onto a pass was brutal. Austin hurt. McManus brilliant in relief.

The announcer says to his co - host Dan Kepley - make a play call and Kepley says everyone will be looking at Darren Flutie and if worse cames to worse QB draw. I still think when I re-watch that what I thought that day. NO QB draw as McManus was too slow.

Wally helpless to change momentum and the Lions roar back to win.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

1994 BC Lions Grey Cup replica ring.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Recent commentary video on the final moments of the 1994 WDF.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Finally, one of the most underrated and forgotten games in its entirety - the 1994 West Division Semi-Final.
While not completely forgotten, I'd say that the WDSF is completely overshadowed by the WDF and along with that, the Lions QB who came in relief and who is one of the most unsung Lions QB's - Kent Austin.

Danny McManus started the game but was injured midway in the 3rd quarter after a blitz tackle with the Lions leading 17-12.
After the Charles Gordon interception with the Eskimos threatening to put the game away late in fourth quarter with them leading 23-21, Kent Austin led the game winning FG drive.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

To this day, one of the most incredible playoff runs in CFL History. Two come from behind wins and a last play winning FG to take a GCup. Simply amazing. Kepley should have been called Kreskin when the Stamps lined up for that ill fated FG attempt when he said "Don't count the Lions out". Seconds later an incredible, improbable block. About the only other BC moment that rivals is the much longer 2011 run when we started out 0 - 5 when to 1 - 6 and looked like the early favourite to miss the playoffs.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:08 pm
To this day, one of the most incredible playoff runs in CFL History. Two come from behind wins and a last play winning FG to take a GCup. Simply amazing. Kepley should have been called Kreskin when the Stamps lined up for that ill fated FG attempt when he said "Don't count the Lions out". Seconds later an incredible, improbable block. About the only other BC moment that rivals is the much longer 2011 run when we started out 0 - 5 when to 1 - 6 and looked like the early favourite to miss the playoffs.
Hi Sir Purrcival, I know I've mentioned this issue countless times but I'll ask you these two questions directly to you now at the risk of repeating these points.

#1. What exactly are your thoughts on the 2000 Grey Cup playoff run and win?

The Lions had a record of 5-9 at one point and ended up with a losing record of 8-10-0-1 for third in the west and also had a coaching change. They had no all-stars on defence while two all-stars on offence (Millington, Perez) along with Passaglia on special teams. They went to Edmonton for the WDSF against the 10-8-0-1 Eskimos and jumped out to a rather commanding 31-14 lead and held on for a 34-32 win and overall the Lions were clearly the better team. The Lions then went to Calgary for the WDF against 12-5-1 Stampeders who had league MOP Dave Dickenson and six Stampeders who all-stars in defence. But the Lions rose to the occasion and immediately jumped out to a huge lead and the Lions defence forced six turnovers leading to valuable points, while Allen and company also put on several points as well against the supposedly invincible Calgary defence in a convincing 37-23 win. And finally in the 2000 Grey Cup against future hall of famer QB Anthony Calvillo and the 12-6 Montreal Alouettes, the Lions rose to the challenge and deservedly won the game 28-26. In all three games, the Lions were overall the better team and they never trailed at any point in those three games. And as such, would you say the 2000 playoff run and win as also incredible?

#2. What exactly are your thoughts on QB Kent Austin as a Lion in 1994?

As I indicated before, I think he was very underrated and I'd say the three-way trade between the BC, Ottawa, and Saskatchewan in which Danny Barrett was sent to Ottawa and the BC receiving Kent Austin was one of the best trades ever in Lions history. Austin was a huge improvement and upgrade in the Lions QB situation compared to the very frustrating Danny Barrett who was no replacement at all for Doug Flutie. It was Austin who was the started for the Lions for most of the season in with the 11-6-1 record, and while everyone remembers McManus coming in relief in the 1994 WDF and GC, we shouldn't forget that the roles were reversed in that Austin came in relief in 1994 WDSF and produced the game-winning FG drive.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

In answer to the first question. Was it incredible. Yes it was. As I recall, the Lions winning it all with a losing regular season record was a 1st. For whatever reason, that run didn't seem to resonate quite so strongly. Everyone knew that Damon Allen had the physical tools to be a game changer but his cognitive side of the game was a bit suspect. He could either soar or underwhelm and part of the frustration was you never knew which DA was going to show up. He had a very solid run tandem in Millington and Drummond (who had an outstanding game). it was really a bizarre season. I don't recall many where the HC up and quit part was through. The departure of Mohns and the arrival of Burratto seemed to jump start that team but it didn't seem that the team was very dynamic overall. I also remember in that final that the Als simply ran out of time. If there had been another 3-4 mins of game time, the outcome might have been different. But the Lions played very well that day and the Als didn't live up their reputation. It was an oft repeated theme for the Als over the next several years until 2009.

Kent Austin. When he came to the Lions, there was little doubt about his skills as a player. Couldn't run worth a damn but after Danny Barrett who I thought was one of the worst QB's in the league, Joe Kapp coming back would have been an improvement. The biggest knock on Austin was more about his personality. He had this reputation of being hard to get along with and the worry was that he might be a cancer in the room. He to this day seems to have best before date of about 3 years. After that, his act seems to wear thin. Nevertheless, he played extremely well when he wasn't nicked up. McManus excelled when he was called upon. I think he played some of his best ball when he was called in off the bench. I never really like him as a starter. In 94, the pair complimented each other very well being different enough in their styles that opposing teams would have to re-think their strategies in defending against mid game which isn't always easy to do.

Both runs were noteworthy in their own ways. I'm not sure why one seems more special than the other. Perhaps I was younger, perhaps I had less cynicism about the 94 team. I don't know but that 2000 team did not excite me very much. I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop and they continued the next season with their up and down play. It seemed to define much of Damon Allen's time in BC.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.