2011 season

Details and Discussions of Each Season of BC Lions Football

Moderator: Team Captains

skaggsy
prospect

I didn't see to many postings regarding the 2011 season. I can't speak for anyone else, but after having watched the Lions play since the 1961 season, the 2011 season will go down as the best and most dramatic I have ever watched. Arguably, the playoff runs of 1994 and 2000 are by far the most dramatic of any playoffs the Leos have been involved in. However, nothing can compare to the turnaround in 2011 and how convincingly they went on to win the Cup. I have every game taped from that season and find myself going back time and time to relive it. Yes, even the 5 losses to start the season . . .lol. Methinks it will be a very long time, if ever, that we'll see a Lions team(or any CFL team for that matter) duplicate that astounding 2011 season. Winning the Cup at home was the ULTIMATE icing on the cake.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The 2011 WDF in its near entirety, which includes the declined trophy presentation. :cool: :beauty:

Edmonton 23 at BC 40
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

November 27 has been an extremely emotional day four times for a Lions fan - 2 ecstatic and 2 heartbreaking.

31 years ago in 1983, Lions lost at home 18-17 to Toronto Argonauts. :bang:
26 years ago in 1988, Lions again lost by one point 22-21, this time to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. :bawl:
20 years ago in 1994, Lions managed to win at home 26-23 over Baltimore. :yahoo:
3 years ago in 2011, Lions finally avenged their 1988 loss exactly 23 years later at home 34-23 over Winnipeg. :beauty:

Relatively speaking, how does the 2011 home win compare to the 1994 home win? The 2011 was definitely easier on the health of Lions fans heart with a comfortable 31-9 lead with less than 4 minutes to go, followed by a on-field trophy presentation and no confusion for the two player awards.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Finally, the 2011 Grey Cup game in its entirety. :rockin:

I'm sure many of you were at the game, so this video will definitely bring up good memories. :wink:
祝你龍年行大運。
D
Team Captain

2011greycuplogo.png
Lions claim Grey Cup

Late Bombers surge falls short

By KIRK PENTON, QMI Agency

VANCOUVER - From 0-5 to the cream of the crop, the B.C. Lions have capped the greatest in-season turnaround in CFL history.

Meanwhile, the longest drought in the three-down loop continues for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and their long-suffering fans.

MVP Travis Lulay, who on Thursday was named the CFL's most outstanding player, hit Kierrie Johnson on a 66-yard touchdown on the final play of the third quarter, breaking open a defensive battle and providing the key play the Lions needed to beat the Bombers 34-23 in a chippy 99th Grey Cup at BC Place.

B.C., the first 0-5 team to make it to the Grey Cup, won 12 of its last 13 games to capture its sixth crown in franchise history and first since 2006. The Lions became the first team since 1994 -- and fourth ever -- to win the Grey Cup on their home field, doing so in front of 54,313 mostly orange-and-black-clad spectators.

Coincidentally, it was the Lions who did it last, in 1994.

"This is unbelievable," said Lulay, who completed 21 of 37 attempts for 320 yards and two touchdowns. "You saw how much black and orange there was. The opportunity doesn't come around that often. It's pretty special to take advantage."

Winnipeg's Grey Cup drought has reached 21 years, the longest in the CFL by nine years. The Bombers have lost all five of their last Grey Cup appearances, also falling in 1992, 1993, 2001 and 2007.

Lions running back Andrew Harris, a Winnipeg native who grew up cheering for the Bombers, was named the game's most outstanding Canadian. He had a 19-yard touchdown run in the first quarter and finished with 10 carries for 65 yards overall.

The Bombers' loss means veteran defensive tackle Doug Brown, if he follows through with his retirement vow, failed to win a Grey Cup title in his third and final attempt. Brown spent all 11 of his CFL seasons with the Bombers.

"I'm just kind of numb right now," said Brown, who broke down in tears in the locker room. "It's hard to come to terms with the finality of the situation. It doesn't seem real."

In addition, Winnipeg quarterback Buck Pierce was unable to beat the team that let him go after the 2009 season because he was unable to stay healthy for an extended period of time.

B.C.'s explosive offence proved to be too much, while the Bombers, who struggled to score all season long, stuck to their script before exploding in the last five minutes.

The Bombers trailed 31-9 with five minutes to go in the fourth quarter, but Pierce hit Greg Carr with a 45-yard touchdown strike and then found Terrence Edwards for a 13-yarder with 1:37 remaining to get the Blue and Gold within eight. The comeback attempt ended when Jamie Boreham's onside kickoff attempt didn't travel the required 10 yards.

Paul McCallum then booted his fourth field goal, from 34 yards, to seal the deal.

"A lot of guys stepped up," said Lions head coach Wally Buono, who won his fifth Grey Cup, tying Don Matthews for the most in CFL history. "We won the line of scrimmage."

The Bombers got off to their usual slow start, falling behind 14-0, but the team that has fought back all season long didn't go away. They made it 14-9 midway through the third quarter, but failing to convert decent drives into touchdowns ultimately proved costly.

The Lions chipped away at the Bombers defence until finally breaking through on the final play of the third quarter, when Lulay found Johnson with the long bomb. The rookie beat Bombers defensive back Jonathan Hefney on the play, giving the Lions a 24-9 advantage.

Winnipeg had a chance to get right back in it after the Johnson touchdown. Lulay was nearly intercepted by Bombers defensive end Odell Willis, who would have scored a 19-yard touchdown had he been able to hold on to the ball. He didn't, and the Lions instead went on a long clock-munching drive that ended with Lulay's six-yard touchdown toss to Arland Bruce III, whose acquisition in a mid-season trade with Hamilton seemed to spark B.C.'s turnaround.

"I'm proud to be part of this team," Bruce said. "Buono gave me a chance, the locker room accepted me as one of theirs when they were 0-5 and we did it. It's beautiful. It's so surreal. We're the champ baby, we did it."

Bombers head coach Paul LaPolice guided the Bombers from 4-14 last season to a Grey Cup berth, but they were unable to finish the job.

"I told them that they have raised the bar, but we're here to win championships, and hopefully this game, this season, will make us a stronger team going forward," LaPolice said.
2011-plaque.jpg
2011 Grey Cup Box Score

Winnipeg Blue Bombers 23 – TDs Greg Carr, Terrence Edwards; FGs Justin Palardy (3); converts., Palardy (2).
BC Lions 34 – TDs, Andrew Harris, Kierrie Johnson, Arland Bruce; FGs Paul McCallum (4); converts., McCallum (3); singles, McCallum (1).

First Quarter
BC – TD Harris 19 run (6:54) (McCallum convert) 7 – 0 BC
BC – FG McCallum 22 (3:42) 10 – 0 BC
BC – Single McCallum 57 punt (00:48) 11 – 0 BC
Second Quarter
BC – FG McCallum 16 (4:44) 14 – 0 BC
WPG – FG Palardy 30 (2:41) 14 – 3 BC
WPG – FG Palardy 15 (00:33) 14 – 6 BC
Third Quarter
WPG – FG Palardy 33 (10:25) 14 – 9 BC
BC – FG McCallum 22 (2:59) 17 – 9 BC
BC – TD Johnson 66 pass from Lulay (McCallum convert) (00:30) 24 – 9 BC
Fourth Quarter
BC – TD Bruce 6 pass from Lulay (McCallum convert) (7:13) 31 – 9 BC
WPG – TD Carr 45 pass from Pierce (Palardy convert) (3:51) 31 – 16 BC
WPG – TD Edwards 13 pass from Pierce (Palardy convert) (1:52) 31 – 23 BC
BC – FG McCallum 34 (1:20) 34 – 23 BC
2011-grey-cup-ring.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
aklawitter
All Star

Robbie wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:35 am
The 2011 WDF in its near entirety, which includes the declined trophy presentation. :cool: :beauty:

Edmonton 23 at BC 40
1:52:42 - The Block
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's always interesting to see a highlights from a different vantage point. More specifically, highlights as seen from fans in the stands perspective as opposed to television cameras.

This good fan video is from the vantage point in the upper bowl and it shows Andrew Harris scoring the first Lions TD for an early 7-0 lead with his MVC performance, and TD catch by Arland Bruce III which essentially put the nail on the coffin as after the conversion made it 31-9. And of course, it shows the on-field Grey Cup trophy presentation and to an extent the two individual awards as well.

I know I've stated it already above but I'll ask again. Relatively speaking, how does the 2011 home GC win compare to the 1994 home GC win? I will concede that the ending in 1994 was much more dramatic while 2011 was definitely easier on the health of Lions fans heart with never trailing and a comfortable 31-9 lead with less than 4 minutes to go, followed by an on-field trophy presentation and no confusion and mistake about the two player awards. So no doubt that the 2011 game had much better organization and security. Finally, in both games it was small consolation to the city after the Canucks lost a game 7 in the Stanley Cup five months earlier.
祝你龍年行大運。