SuperBowl! Make Your Pick!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Win The SuperBowl?

Steelers!!!!!!
30%
Seahawks
70%

Total votes: 60
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The city of Pittsburgh has won much more professional sports championships than the city of Seattle. Therefore, Seattle is really due in for another major sports championship. Notwithstanding the Seattle Storm WNBA championship in 2004 and the Seattle Sounders A-League championships in 1995, 1996, and 2005, there has only been one major championship in the city of Seattle:

Seattle Supersonics: 1979

On the other hand, the city of Pittsburgh has won several championships:

Pittsburgh Steelers (4): 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979
Pittsburgh Penguins (2): 1991, 1992
Pittsburgh Pirates (5): 1979, 1971, 1960, 1925, 1909
O'Shea

Again.... here's the link to the Super Bowl page on ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs0 ... ies=seapit
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The oddsmakers favor Pittsburgh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steelers go from 7-5 to Super Bowl favorites

By MELISSA TRUJILLO, Associated Press Writer
January 23, 2006

DENVER (AP) -- Six weeks ago, the Pittsburgh Steelers were losing and failing.

Now, they're the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

In early December, the Steelers were 7-5 and on a three-game losing streak. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's injured thumb was threatening to derail his season and many doubted the team could even make the playoffs.

On Sunday, Vegas oddsmakers made the Steelers a 3 1/2 - to 4-point favorite to beat the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl in Detroit in two weeks.

Since losing 38-31 in Cincinnati on Dec. 4, the Steelers won seven straight -- their last five on the road, including Sunday's 34-17 defeat of the Denver Broncos to win the AFC championship.

They did it in dominating fashion, taking a 3-0 lead with 4:11 remaining in the first quarter and never allowing Denver or its fans back in the game.

But Jerome Bettis said Pittsburgh wasn't so confident after that loss to the Bengals dropped Bill Cowher's Steelers to 7-5.

"Coach Cowher sensed that everybody was a little bit nervous, and he brought us in and calmed everybody down and showed us, `Hey, it's one game at a time. Let's just win one game and see what happen,"' Bettis said. "That was the philosophy from that point until now. It's been just about one game."

Pittsburgh seemed to thrive on being the underdog during its winning streak. The Steelers are underdogs no more.

"We had nothing to lose," Roethlisberger said. "No one believed in us, but us."

JAKE'S MISTAKES

Jake Plummer was praised for protecting the ball this season and cutting down on the turnovers that hounded him for years.

That was before Sunday's AFC championship game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Broncos quarterback lost two fumbles and threw two interceptions in the Steelers' 34-17 victory.

Plummer threw seven interceptions and lost two fumbles during the regular season. But his mistakes were costly against Pittsburgh.

His first fumble late in the first quarter led to Pittsburgh's first touchdown and a 10-0 lead. He was intercepted by Ike Taylor in the second quarter, and the giveaway set up a 38-yard scoring drive that gave the Steelers a 24-3 lead.

"The interceptions were bad," Plummer said. "They capitalized on some turnovers and put us into a hole."

Plummer was playing with a chest cold, but said that only affected him when he was trying to scramble.

"I won't use that as an excuse," he said. "I tried to make some plays, but when they are playing deep like that, it's tough going."

Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter thought Plummer could be easy to rattle, especially if the Steelers were ahead.

"In the past, I've seen this crowd turn on him," Porter said. "I knew he was just a bad play away before they were turning on him. If we forced him into making some bad plays, he was going to get down on himself. That was the whole game plan and it ended up working."

BLOWN-OUT BRONCOS

When the Denver Broncos lose in the playoffs, they tend to lose big.

Sunday's loss marked the fourth time in their last five playoff games that Denver has lost by at least 17 points.

The Broncos managed only a field goal in a 21-3 wild-card loss to the Baltimore Ravens in 2000, then were outscored 90-34 by the Indianapolis Colts in wild-card games in 2004 and '05.

Pittsburgh started the trend, which dates back almost three decades, by beating Denver 33-10 in a divisional playoff game in 1978.

But Denver's most embarrassing blowouts -- by far -- occurred in the Super Bowl.

In 1988, the Broncos took an early 10-0 lead against the Redskins, only to watch Washington score 35 points in the second quarter in a 42-10 defeat. Two years later, Denver lost 55-10 to the San Francisco 49ers.

HOME-FIELD ADVANTAGE?

The Broncos may have won four previous AFC championship games in Denver, but the Steelers were on a roll on the road Sunday.

The Steelers became the first team to win three away games to make it to the Super Bowl since the 1985 New England Patriots. They also handed the Broncos their third loss in the playoffs at home in 15 tries.

Pittsburgh beat the Broncos 24-17 in a 1984 divisional playoff game in Denver at the old Mile High Stadium.

FOOTE HOMECOMING

With all the hype surrounding Jerome Bettis' chance to finish his career in the Super Bowl in his hometown of Detroit, few have mentioned that linebacker Larry Foote also will be playing close to home.

Foote wants to keep it that way, since he expects to get plenty of calls asking for favors.

"I ain't got no tickets," he said laughing. "And I lost my cell phone last night."
Rammer
Team Captain

I think hte most interesting take on the ESPN poll is the 40% rooting for the Seahawks dropping down to 30% actually thinking they may win the game. I am really surprised that Seahawk fans would drop off with their actual pick. They have looked very good, highly efficient in their demise of opponents down the stretch.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Steelers. Dick LeBeau is the best coordinator in the game. Wouldn't bet against him.
jim604
All Star

tho i was routing for the steelers to come out on top of the AFC...i gotta take the HAWKS!! :rockin:
D
Team Captain

I REALLY want the Seahawks but ..... well the stealers seem like a team on a mission :sigh:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Go Hawks!!!!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am going to do my part to help the hawks cause by betting a bundle on the steelers.

Now if I can only find at least two other sure things to go with it.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CB123
Legend

Has the site been hacked! :shock: lol it says Go Hawks on the top of the page! lol :roll:
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I think we're in for a whale of a game. Two great qbs, Seattle's O Line, Both teams' Ds, and a team of destiny.

<-----Hawks, Baby.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

D wrote:I REALLY want the Seahawks but ..... well the stealers seem like a team on a mission :sigh:
Perhaps a Freudian slip that you don't think it's deserved? :lol:
LFITQ
Team Captain

A few things I looked at - in particular the conference finals ...

1) Seahawks front o-line ability to pick up the rush vs. Steelers ability to rush ... I gotta give the edge to the Hawks in this one.

2) Seahawks pass defence vs. Steelers passing game. Pretty close, but I still give the edge to the Hawks

3) Seahawks passing game vs. Steelers pass defence. Whew this is tough one. But I tended to notice that the Steelers pass defence was strongest over the middle but weaker on the outside. Jake Plummer had the most success when he threw to the sidelines and had th emost problems when he was throwing in the middle. Seahawks have a strong outside passing game. Again I give a SLIGHT edge to the Hawks.

4) Special Teams. Although the Hawks did improve by not having Williams back there returning kicks - they didn't really get any big plays - just no bad plays from special teams. Add to that the punt return for TD by steve Smith and I will give Special Teams the edge to the Steelers.

5) Run game. MVP Shaun Alexander. Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis. Teh Bus is getting up there but you can't negate his motivation moving on to a gritty Steeler Team. Parker however, ain't Bettis or Alexander. Add to the Seahawks Morris and Mack Strong - and you open a whole new play book. It doesn't what back or combo of backs the Seahawks put in they are able to run (and may run) on any down regardless of distance. Edge to the Hawks

6) Coaching. Sorry I'm not a huge Holmgren fan. But I'm also not a Cowher fan. But Cowher's coaching style appeals to me more. Holmgren has experience but was that because of the team he had before or because of his mark on the team. After 7 years of wish wash in Seattle (which was beginning to sound like Roy and Barrett's 3 year-plan going on season 6 for the Riders) he finally gets one (plus some of last season) good season under his belt. I gotta give the edge to the Steelers in this department. Purely on Personal Bias as I know I can't argue with anyone on this and change your POV's.

Overall, I like the Hawks' chances. I would say the one area the Hawks might have against them would be listed under "Intangibles" and I think that is what the odds makers are looking at. To me that would experience getting to the big dance. The Steelers are going to be able to bring in tonnes of alumni that can help bolster and solidify this team from past championship teams. The Steelers organization is one of a storied past. The Seahawks - they have no one to bring in and no history of excellence. compared to the Steelers, the Seahawks barely have a history let alone anything resembling excellence. So in the intangibles I give a big edge to the Steelers.

But that ain't gonna stop me from yelling and screaming for the Hawks!! This is gonna be the first Superbowl in a Long long long time that I'll actually be watching not for the commercials!! In years past pee breaks have happened while the play was on so as not to miss the commercials. This year I think it will be different!
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

I lean with the Hawks, they have teh fundamentals down pat right now. They won't be giving the game away to the Steelers, and will force the Steelers to attempt to win the game. This has worked in the Hawks strategy of winning the games down the stretch and the playoffs. If I was a betting man, I would be taking that point spread in the Steelers favour and laying some coin on that alone.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rick James
Legend

I'll take the 'Hawks. The Steelers have looked great especially winning one at the new Mile High, but my heart says Hawks and my brain says Hawks too.