What was the turning point of the season?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What was the turning point of the season

DD's injury on the Oct. 1 Riders game
70%
Stalla's game-winning catch in Montreal
20%
Nov. 5 offensive debacle against the Riders
10%

Total votes: 20
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I'm still trying to digest what has happened in the past 80 days and where it all went wrong.

I think we all agree the 11 game winning streak masked some of our problems but none of us saw what was coming on the horizon either.

For me ... the turning point was the game in Montreal.
We were on a 3-game slide but looked to be headed for a huge comeback win led by a rejuvenated CP. The swagger seemed to be back.
Then the unthinkable happened. I felt like I was kicked in the gut when Stalla made that catch and that feeling uncertainly never left me for the rest of the season.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

For me it was Nov 5. SammyGreene you beat me too it to post this topic and poll! :sigh:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

What about Washington's injury on Sept 17?

Right after that, they lost 5 in a row.....
hexx

jason medlock beaking off about CP not playing here, in the middle of a very important stretch of the season
mrlion

DD's injury on the Oct. 1 Riders game. He should have not attempted to tackle the Riders play. Just stupid on DD's part.
Rammer
Team Captain

Simplified to say DD's injury, but more realistic is the 11 - 0 start. The Lions had the fire and lost it against the Eskimos, knowing that the loss didn't matter. They sat on their emotions for the remainder of the season. Something that I never expected for that long a duration from a Wally coached team. He will adjust that this off season, fresh bodies seem to accept the HC at face value.

I do have to give the D a huge thankyou, as they only took one game off this season, and our ST play defensively was outstanding. But the Lions have not been looked upon as having a strong D, and we don't intimidate the opposition we face.

Maybe our O wilted under the pressure of our FG kicking, knowing that they were not getting results from their work effort.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Bosco
Team Captain

For me, the turning point was the Oct 1 against the Riders, and not because of DD's injury. I believe that the season started to turn south as a result of the gosh awful performance that Duncan O'Mahony exhibited that night. :x

The Lions were in position to win that game, in spite of the injury to Dickenson, however time and time again, O'Mahony shanked one FG attempt after another. :bang: You can only look at it as desperation when Buono resorted to have Brett Anderson attempt a 48 yard FG, with the game on the line.

Listening to the post game show, you could just sense the frustration that the fans had, as well a general feeling that this team wasn't as great as its record indicated.

A win would have ended their one game losing "streak", but the O'Mahony debacle just seemed to accentuate that this team had a problem that should have been addressed before that loss.
stansz
Champion

well..its gotta be DD's injury...i mean at least he was winning games with the awful offensive plan chap was putting out..that coupled with the misses..well then it turned south
pumped!!!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I voted for the DD injury Oct. 1 but the real turning point for me was the Tompkins kick return for the game-winning touchdown Sept 24 at Commonwealth. The Lions had fought from behind to tie the game and again appeared to be invincible. They fell apart mentally after that, taking uncharacteristic penalties, missing tackles, dropping balls and failing to make key stops whenever needed.
stansz
Champion

ya thats a good one....up until then our ST was doing awesome...then we got burnt ..ouch
pumped!!!