Dickenson or Printers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dickenson or Printers?

Dickenson
24%
Printers
76%

Total votes: 68
stansz
Champion

mrlion wrote:I believe Wally Bonehead has stated he already has made a decision on which QB will be back next season. Knowing how loyal he is to his "old boys network" DD will be back. I'm fed up with DD in all honesty. He's *always* getting injured. When he suffered that concussion from trying to make the tackle, he shouldn't have tried tackling the guy.
ummm he had go try to make that tackle.....its football..its full contact if he didnt even try then i would have a bigger problem then that...

that being said...im am a DD fan..but for the future CP looks to be the best bet..

however whoever with chapdelaine isnt going to succeed..unless chappy suddenly becomes a genuis
pumped!!!
hoonsagain
Starter

Wow, if they offer CP 750K per season, I'd be shocked! The cap will only be reflective of what the teams are spending today. I can't see CP getting any more than 450K per season, if indeed he is interested at all. Remind me of this post next year if I am wrong! :wink:
Football is not a contact sport. It's a collision sport. Dancing is a... contact sport. ~Duffy Daugherty
Blitz
Team Captain

This decision I suspect will be made by the entire organizaton from Mr Braley down. The decision affects the bottom line $$$$
I think you're right Don. Braley doesn't normally interfere but Wally had to explain his decision to start Dickenson in last years Grey Cup to Braley. Braley doesn't like to lose and he really wanted the Leos in the Grey Cup at home badly. He's not going to be happy and while he doesn't interfere..he supported this team very well in the tough times, brought in Ackles who hired Wally and got this thing turned around.

A good way to look at this thing....is if the Leos didn't have either quarterback and could get either Dickenson or Printers, who would you want...if it was for three years...or maybe even two years and an option.
If we have the opportunity we have to do what is best for our organization but I really believe Ottawa or Winnipeg would choose Printers over Dickenson. I know, if I was a rebuilding team, he is defintiely who I would go with. Dickenson gave us the experience to get us to a Grey Cup and win it last year and this year. However, its a law of diminishing returns with his age and injuries. His upside is very limited. Printers upside is tremendous.

Printers has had his injuries too. The toe injury last year was a problem easily created by the old Leos artificial turf. He wasn't the only one who suffered from turf toe and other artificial turf injuries like hip pointers on that unforgiving field. However, there was no time to let it heal.. He just kept on playing, getting it frozen and having a special shoe. \Printers shoulder worries me a little more but he's always been able to overcome it.

If we had put Buck Pierce in against Edmonton earlier in the year when Dickenson was suffering back spasms and Printers heal up...he probably would have been able to come back quicker. Instead he was put into that game when his arm wasn't ready and it set his recovery time back. People questioned his caring about the team but I never did...he only played for three minutes against Edmonton on Sunday and was in tears. I also never questioned Dickenson... some of the hits he took this season, including the blind sider from Montford yesterday still make me feel a little ill in the stomach.

The only thing I disagree with is that Dickenson and Printers didn't like each other. I think they respected each other's abilities a lot. However, whenever you're put into a situation where the both of you are constantly being asked over and over again how you feel....while being kept in the dark took its toll.

The dressing room wasn't split about them..outside of perhaps one veteran..some players might have had slight preferances but the offensive players believed they could win with both. The team was mostly frustrated with not knowing who would start, because it helped their preparation in knowing who would start, especially the offensive linemen..and constantly answering questions about the 'controversy'

The Leos would have been in not so good of shape over the last two years without both. There were very few games that both were healthy over the two years. Dave wasn't healthy for most of last season. Casey wasn't for the first half of the season and Dave missed a couple of games during the winning streak and then missed most of the remainder of the season. The Grey Cup game, three to four games last year, and a couple of games this year were the only real times that both were healthy enough to go. So having both quarterbacks helped us a lot more than it hurt us!!
Blitz:

Do you think the new CBA and the potential for a big (46%) increase in the "cap" could influence CP's decision?

For instance, a C$700k per year to lead a CFL team vs US$450k to play #2 in, say, Houston?

Or do you think that a $3.8M cap is just a recognition of what has already happened, and that actual salaries won't really increase?
Depends on which team you're talking about. There are teams that are under the proposed cap for next year and could either spend more on players salaries or spend it on free agents....if they have the resources to do so.

I don't know for sure....if Printers would have signed the Leos would have been around this figure for sure. I imagine they're close. Edmonton has to be around this cap figure or have exceeded it. I think it recognizes what the hightest revenue franchises are paying. There was no way the commissioner would come in with a cap that would have hurt Hughie or Braley's teams much or at all. But I don't have a definitive answer to the question because I don't know! TV revenue is also up and attendance has been good. Most teams will have more money to spend next year.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Agreed that we may get "more."

However, there's not much more needed, I feel - and you don't generally get a new Offensive Co-Ordinator through a trade.

A better o-line may be gotten through good moves in the free-agent market.

A better kicker could be drafted (the Lions have 3 first-round draft picks next year).

Also, with a trade you never know what you're getting; while with what you have, you have a known quantity.

Winnipeg, Ottawa and Hamilton could each use a new quarterback. What do any of them have that the Lions could really use? (Winnipeg already gave us their first round draft pick!)

Let's trade DD to Ottawa for another pick. Or to Winnipeg for Milt.

The other gaps can be filled without trading Casey away
Great post and that's true cr!! There are few posters here that think I'm a Casey Printers fan and I am..but I'm also a Dickenson fan. My comments are only based upon what I see, what I've learned, and my own experiences.

There is no way, having two excellent quarterbacks on any team, is going to be an easy situation. However when one is older and the other is younger, the situation is best. I really think Edmonton had the tougher situation and handled it really well...however Ray was more the rookie in Edmonton and Maas was more the incumbent, like Dickenson, only they are both closer in age.

I liked Dickenson's experience going into this year but I also saw the tremendous upside in Printers. The Leos were crazy to create the kind of competition they created. There would have been some competition already there....because they are two very competitive guys...and you don't become a great quarterback without having that inside of you.

Edmonton told Ray he was the starter and would remain the starter. They told Maas he was the backup...end of story. They also told Maas they would trade him at the end of the season to a team he could start for. They asked for his support... he was in a good position to do that, knowing it was only for a year. They also became close because they weren't competing for the starting postion each week. Maas wasn't crazy about it but that was the way it was and he made the best of it.

The Leos would have been wiser to say to Dickenson and Printers that Dickenson would be the starter and they also expected Dickenson to help Printers develop...that if Printers was healthy he would get his game reps to continue his progress. However, Printers MVP year and the Grey Cup decision didn't help create that. Dickenson having a five year contract, also was problematic. However they could have said that's what we're going to do this year and then we'll make a decision. They also could have gone the other way, if Printers would have been healthy but he wasn't to start the year. What the Leos should never have done, is keep each quarterback guessing who would start until the last second. That increased the competition between them and didn't allow them to develop the kind of friendship that you would like to see between a veteran and a younger developing quarterback.

It can go either way with a veteran quarterback. He can help out the younger quarterback, knowing one day he'll take his postion. There are many examples in pro sports where that has happened. There are also examples where the veteran just wants to keep his job and doesn't help much at all. Dickenson is such a competitor, who has had to overcome his height and size and lack of footspeed to become an excellent quarterback that it wouldn't have been easy. But I think Dickenson would have done it more if they hadn't been placed in the postion in which they were placed. But they respected each other and most players on the team respected them both....they were just tired of answering questions, not having the spotlight directed at other deserving players, and just wanted to know in advance who was going to start. You can't blame them for that and you can't blame either quarterback for being fed up with the way the whole thing was done.

What was interesting was how Chapdelaine never spent a lot of time with his quarterbacks during games. Damon Allan is constantly beside Kent Austin. Austin gets frustrated as hell with Damon because Damon is a frustrating quarterback to coach. But they worked at it and Damon really benefited from it..playing the best football in his career.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
bbang
Starter

I'd trade Printers to T.O. for Eiben, Ivory and a first rounder. Then I'd send D.D. to Calgary straight up for Burris. So I guess my answer to the poll is Burris, I want Burris. But if I have to keep one of the current q.b.s then it's Printers. Dave's lack of mobility and injury proneness is only going to get worse not better.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

bbang wrote:I'd trade Printers to T.O. for Eiben, Ivory and a first rounder. Then I'd send D.D. to Calgary straight up for Burris. So I guess my answer to the poll is Burris, I want Burris. But if I have to keep one of the current q.b.s then it's Printers. Dave's lack of mobility and injury proneness is only going to get worse not better.
Good plan but do you seriously think that Calgary would trade Burris after he got them to the West Semi this year? Didn't think so. :sigh:

Toronto would never go for that trade either. :sigh:

Keep CP (sign him) and trade DD to Ottawa for an OL, first round DP and Cam Legault.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
RustyTheRebarbarian

I HOPE TO GOD.... THAT WALLY READS THIS STUFF.

not only for our sake as fans, but for his sake if he wants to have support for "his" team next year. If DD is the winner of wallyworld sweepstakes then i will not continue support until wally leaves. and im not alone in this opinion. period. :x
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

RustyTheRebarbarian wrote:I HOPE TO GOD.... THAT WALLY READS THIS STUFF.

not only for our sake as fans, but for his sake if he wants to have support for "his" team next year. If DD is the winner of wallyworld sweepstakes then i will not continue support until wally leaves. and im not alone in this opinion. period. :x
JC sure does so maybe he passes things on to Buono? :?

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is a tough call that has a lot of factors for the club to consider. I will be happy either way.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I watched the Eskimoes quarterback movie last night about the three QB's they have. All their stories sound similiar. So they know what each other is going through. I just feel DD could have got it done but didn't. I don't think it really matters why or who is the reason. CP deserves a shot. I am surprised at Buono at times. He's had chances to just say "DD's the man" but even when he has, he's still dithered a bit towards CP. If we can get CP signed he needs the shot. I won't be worried if DD is our #1.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:Not sure what game you guys are watching, but Dickenson is superior to Printers in almost every facet of the game. Maybe Casey can run faster, but isn't that why you have a running back?

If the Lions go with Printers, how many months will go by before he insists they renegotiate his contract? Or how he was dissed by the management, or his shoulder hurts, or his toe hurts, or he didn't practice enough, or pining about the NFL, or how much he hates the coaches, etc, etc.

Remember the QB who played the first 10 games with a 75% completion ratio in every game? The Lions should stick with Dickenson, at 32 yrs old, he is one of the top QBs in the league and could lead the Lions for years to come.
I think what John Henry's hinting at is that we should fire Warren, Keep DD as QB and sign CP as Running Back! :lol: Just Kidding!

SammyGreene
Team Captain

RustyTheRebarbarian wrote:I HOPE TO GOD.... THAT WALLY READS THIS STUFF.

Yeah it's pretty clear Printers' is the fans' choice ... but come on .... you would turn your back on the Lions' if DD is the guy? :roll:

Lowell Ullrich must be spending some time on this board. He was saying on the Lions Den tonight how many are almost casting DD in the same light as the Damon Allen era here and it wasn't fair.

He is right.

DD has played a huge part in turning this franchise around since he got here in 2003 ... after years of watching a sputtering offence under DA in front of 17,000 fans.
He remains one of the top QBs in this league and I would hardly be surprised to see him stick it down our throats if he is traded to the right situation.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:[
I think what John Henry's hinting at is that we should fire Warren, Keep DD as QB and sign CP as Running Back! :lol: Just Kidding!
OK.. Now there is a plan. Put Casey Printers at RB and bring back that old halfback option stuff!!! Blitz could be scheming that as we sleep tonight!!!

Maybe CP could be a receiver?

He has talent!!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:[
OK.. Now there is a plan. Put Casey Printers at RB and bring back that old halfback option stuff!!! Blitz could be scheming that as we sleep tonight!!!

Maybe CP could be a receiver?

He has talent!!
Yeah and Clermont can be a TE! :lol: