Dickenson or Printers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dickenson or Printers?

Dickenson
24%
Printers
76%

Total votes: 68
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DD has played a huge part in turning this franchise around since he got here in 2003 ... after years of watching a sputtering offence under DA in front of 17,000 fans.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone will quibble over that fact. The reality is that he is 33 years old and he has a record of being injured. The key to developing a competitive team year after year is to weed out the older players toward the end of their careers and replace with young blood. Having said that, the Lions will be making a huge mistake in my opinion to let Casey go.
Blitz
Team Captain

don't think anyone will quibble over that fact. The reality is that he is 33 years old and he has a record of being injured. The key to developing a competitive team year after year is to weed out the older players toward the end of their careers and replace with young blood. Having said that, the Lions will be making a huge mistake in my opinion to let Casey
No one is discrediting what Dave Dickenson has brought to the franchise. However its important to remember that Dave Dickenson has not been a long time Leo...that has served this franchise for an extended period of time. He did the travel tour of the whole CFL before choosing the Leos and he really wanted to go to Calgary. However the Calgary situation was a mess. It came down to money and believing the Leos had a better chance to win.

Casey Printers has been with the Leos as long as Dickenson has. Dickenson started the first year for us and got us into the playoff on the crossover and then injured himself on a wet practice field. That's one season. Last year Printers was the main man all year and played well in the Western Final before coming out. The offence was an exciting offence last year and effective. Dickenson has never won an MVP award here..Printers has. Dickenson came in later in the second half of the Western Final and then started the Grey Cup.

This year the duties were mostly shared. Dickenson played nine out of the first eleven games and then didn't play much in the final seven. The winning streak ended with Dickenson as our quarterback but he played well in the first half of the year. Printers had a couple of excellent games and the offence played well enough in Edmonton..and Commonwealth is a very tough place to play and was badly hurt by penalties. The offence played great in the Montreal game and we should have won it. The Saskatchewan game was a disaster for both quarterbacks and really showed the flaws in our scheme. Dickenson then played 57 minutes of the Western Final.

For an experienced, highly paid quarterback we haven't got it done with Dickenson and he has been injured a lot. The controversy between Dickenson and Printers shows that it's close, no matter which one is favored. Over the next three years I'd choose the one who is younger, bigger, stronger, more mobile, and who is only going to get better than the older quarterback who is more injury prone, smaller, less mobile, and more importantly has a lot less upside! It seems like a no brainer to me. That doesn't mean that Dickenson isn't a very good quarterback. It's about a decision about the future.

All teams are faced with this dilemma..letting go a veteran who can still play but has little upside vs the potential of a younger player who can get it done. It's just that it's been so high profile. The Leos let Eric Carter go and there were howls of protest. So where is Eric Carter now?? In the meantime we even went with two unproven rookies in Young and Marsh and look how good they are. Would you want to get rid of one of them for Eric Carter?? I think the answer is clear.

And Printers is not a gamble like Young and Marsh were...he's not a rookie...he's shown what he could do in his only year when he was given the reins...I don't even understand.. Do you want a 36 or 37 year old Dickenson, playing with even more injuries, slower, and likely not much better or a 27 or 28 year old Printers, with three more years of CFL experience.

This decision is not just about next year but the year after and probably the year after that...with an option. You have to project three years down the road.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Casey Printers has been with the Leos as long as Dickenson has. Dickenson started the first year for us and got us into the playoff on the crossover and then injured himself on a wet practice field. That's one season. Last year Printers was the main man all year and played well in the Western Final before coming out. The offence was an exciting offence last year and effective. Dickenson has never won an MVP award here..Printers has. Dickenson came in later in the second half of the Western Final and then started the Grey Cup.
I do think CP is the guy Wally should choose but you are short changing DD's impact here.

?He put up huge numbers in ?03 (5,496 yards and 36 TDs) but lost out to Cavillo for the MOP who had marginally better numbers on a 1st place compared to a 4th place team. But he was hardly the reason we finished 4th that year.

? DD's knee injury actually occured in the 2003 regular season finale against the Riders when he was pile driven into the old astro turf by Nate Davis. He limped noticably but stayed in the game. The slip at practice turned into a full blown injury.

? CP had a sub par 2004 Western Final. He generated 14 points in 50 minutes of playing time and that included a long touchdown pass on the game's 2nd play to Thelwell. His only other scoring drive came on his 1st series of the 2nd half.
He later injured his shoulder on a sack and DD played the final 10 minutes producing 10 points to send the game to OT.
Blitz
Team Captain

do think CP is the guy Wally should choose but you are short changing DD's impact here
I'm not shortchanging Dickenson's impact here at all. He's usually played very well. And I don't blame him for the team finishing fourth. I don't equate wins and losses as only a quarterback statistic..that's why I never use the old we were 11-0 line this season when Dickenson was the quarterback either. However Dickenson couldn't play in the semi-final for our fourth place finishing team in his first season. We finished first last year with Printers as the quarterback and the offence finished the season strong. However Dickenson did not have a great game in the Grey Cup. This season Dickenson also didn't have a great game in the Western Final. That's three chances to get it done in three years...once he couldn't play due to injury, last year he played ok in the Grey Cup game but we struggled to score, and this year, in 57 minutes of the Western Final our offence struggled to score. I don't blame the entire offence on Dickenson in those games, as you are aware. However, the offence didn't rally around him enough to win.

However, if you say that Printers had a sub-par Western Final then Dickenson had a subpar Grey Cup and a subpar Western Final this year. I'm a little more understanding of a quarterback in his first playoff game not playing as well as hoped but I'm a little less patient with a quarterback that we paid $400,000 a year for, a veteran with lots of CFL experience and previous playoff experience, the guy who was supposed to be the answer.. playing subpar in those big games. I don't really look at it that way but if those are your terms of reference.

As for my opinion of Dickenson I've mentioned numerous times that Dickenson would have been my starter this season, even if Printers had been healthy. I just would have found a way to get Printers a decent number of game reps to continue his development. I'm not talking about Dickenson in the past. My decision is based upon the next few years. He's not the guy I build around...right or wrong I feel strongly about that!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
bclion

crburrows wrote:It's already 4 - 0 for Casey.

I'm honestly surprised.

I have been a Dave fan (still loving Casey) since . . . since . . . since . . . .

Anyway, damn. I'm still depressed . . . . . . . .
I prefer Dickenson, he makes better decisions. He is injury prone, but Printers seems to be plagued this year by injury also.

Tough one, I like Casey, but IMO, Dickenson is more talented than Printers.
squishy35
Legend

Dickenson is more talented than Printers

Dickenson plays a more cerebral game than Printers but is far short of the physical gifts that Casey brings to the table. If Printers is signed look for him to to amazing things for this franchise. :cr:
Blitz
Team Captain

Dickenson plays a more cerebral game than Printers but is far short of the physical gifts that Casey brings to the table. If Printers is signed look for him to to amazing things for this franchise.
Dickenson plays a more cerebral game than Printers because he has more experience than Printers. However, for someone who has only had one year of playing experience Printers is a smart quarterback. His number of touchdowns to interceptions last year was impressive for a rookie in terms of playing.

Printers throws more incompletions..Dickenson gets sacked more. Printers is the better runner and can buy more time for his recievers. With more playing time Printers will become a very cerebral quarterback as well. If its close now, in terms of effectiveness, what will it be like in three years when Printers has more experience, if they were both on different teams? I think the answer is evident!!
hexx

i think that, early in the season, when he was hurt and DD was clearly the man, printers did start to feel somewhat indifferent to this whole situation.

when he took the field at bc place a few times later in the year- and he heard the crowd's response - whatever ice that had formed pretty much melted away.

i ripped him pretty bad when his agent popped off, and though he was doing the damage control there were some strange things coming out of his mouth.. but at this point i'll take him at face value.

i agree that DD's 2003 season was MOP calibre. it was a special year. that's what made casey's 2004 season seem all the more improbable. it's too bad it didn't work out with both of them this year.

blitz.. i know you don't want to see dave's career end with an injury...you want to run him off the field and into a coach's role. well he might make a great coach one day.. but in the meantime i expect him to go out guns a'blazin. in fact, i fully expect him to come back and torch us wherever we trade him.

best of luck to both, whatever happens.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

I don't care who starts at QB next year as long as Winnipeg will be the host city for BC's 6th cup! :wink:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Blitz
Team Captain

blitz.. i know you don't want to see dave's career end with an injury...you want to run him off the field and into a coach's role. well he might make a great coach one day.. but in the meantime i expect him to go out guns a'blazin. in fact, i fully expect him to come back and torch us wherever we trade him.

best of luck to both, whatever happens.
I don't see Dickenson torching us! There is no team in the league that I see that possibility except Saskatchewan. Dickenson needs an excellent offensive line and very good recievers to do that. He needs a good scheme and an offence primarily designed to protect him. He also needs a solid runing attack because Dickenson is the most threatening with play action. He would have thrived in Calgary's offence best but he would do well with Saskatchewan's offence as well. He'd be in the same situation as Ricky Ray in Edmonton. Other teams in the league, at present are not designed for Dickenson's strengths and that includes Montreal.

That said, Dickenson could get lucky and be healthy for a year or two. However his lack of size, lack of strong escapability, his penchant for hanging on to the ball too long, and his previous injuries make Dickenson a high potential risk for injury.

You know, the sad thing is that in my heart I like Dickenson as our quarterback. I always pull for the underdog and there is an underdog feeling I get sometimes with Dickenson. That's ok as a fan!! But as a coach your head has to overrule your heart...and from a coaches viewpoint at the the whole decision I would take Printers and I wouldn't hesitate a split second!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

If he gets anywhere near the amount of time Crandell was getting this season ... he will torch us and the 7 other teams as well ... especially with Dominguez back in the fold.
No way is he traded to the Riders!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Here, here Sammy. DD in Saskatchewan with that Oline and running game ????? Add one more receiver to take some pressure off Dominguez and its

Good night Irene.
hoonsagain
Starter

Haven't followed this post from the beginning but here's a thought:
Dickensen goes to Winnipeg, the Peg has a turnaround season, makes the crossover, and hosts BC in the Cup.....Dickensen VS Printers! :wink:
Football is not a contact sport. It's a collision sport. Dancing is a... contact sport. ~Duffy Daugherty
Rammer
Team Captain

hoonsagain wrote:Haven't followed this post from the beginning but here's a thought:
Dickensen goes to Winnipeg, the Peg has a turnaround season, makes the crossover, and hosts BC in the Cup.....Dickensen VS Printers! :wink:
Winnipeg would be a win wi situation for the league. He would provide instant GC dredibility to a franchise that is hosting the GC and can afford to take on his salary. It also perhaps renews fan interest throughout the season enough that the Bombers don't take any large backward steps at teh gate.

My biggest concern is what does the Bombers have to offer up besdies futures that the Lions would be interested in?
Entertainment value = an all time low
rb
Champion

Rammer wrote:
hoonsagain wrote:Haven't followed this post from the beginning but here's a thought:
Dickensen goes to Winnipeg
Winnipeg would be a win wi situation for the league. He would provide instant GC dredibility to a franchise that is hosting the GC and can afford to take on his salary. It also perhaps renews fan interest throughout the season enough that the Bombers don't take any large backward steps at teh gate.

My biggest concern is what does the Bombers have to offer up besdies futures that the Lions would be interested in?
Those are almost exactly my thoughts on the situation, too.

Should be interesting.