CP should start against Edmonton...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who starts against Edmonton?

CP
88%
DD
12%

Total votes: 58
Blitz
Team Captain

Not only is CP doing well, but he's relatively healthy, and the running game and O-line are playing better with an offensive game plan designed around CP (any insight, blitz?). Ride it until he cools
well..concussions are iffy injuries...it wouldnt hurt for DD to rest another week.....plus printers looks unstoppable..so go wit whose hot (CP) but if he sputters...then DD goes in (if hes 100%)

It would be a very tough call if both were healthy and ready to go. I lean to going with Printers (based upon Wally liking to stay with his starter for most of the game ) for this weekend to give Dave Dickenson one more week to recover for the concussion. I'm not even sure if I would give him any game reps against Edmonton if Casey is playing well.

If the Leos did put Dickenson in the game I really believe you gotta give him, on EVERY passing play the opportunity to have a reciever running a quick route or a dump off so he doesn't get hit. I really believe its more important that not to take unncessary risks and give Dickenson an extra week before getting him back ready and prepared for the playoffs. I'm basing this on the assumption that Printers arm is 'ok to go' against Edmonton.

In the final game of the season I really believe you gotta play them each one half, perhaps Dickenson even more than a half so that he has the necessary game reps for the playoffs. If one gets injured the other will be ready. If we were hosting the Western Final I would have two scnearios. The first is to play Printers for the first half and Dickenson for the second half with the option of inserting either one if the other is struggling. The second option would be to play Printers for the first quarter and Dickenson for the second and then start the third with the one who was playing better. I like Printers starting the game based on strategy and I like Dickenson coming in to finish the game, based upon his style and what it offers at that time of the game. I wrote my reasons on another thread. Its long (whats new) but if you're interested and didn't didn't see it....an excerpt of it is down below.

Dave Dickenson: He brings veteran leadership, mental toughness, a strong knowledge of the CFL, NFL back-up experience, a strong background knowledge of different defensive alignments and schemes. He's a cerebral quarterback with very good ability to read a defence. He's mainly a pocket passer and can move around in the pocket and is willing to run. He has great touch on short passes, throws the intermediate ball very accurately, and can go deep. He throws few interceptions. His ball control style of quarterbacking can eat up a lot of clock.

Casey Printers: A tall, strong quarterback he brings athleticism to the position along with a strong arm and excellent running ability. He has leadership abilities and is physically tough. He has great escapability from the pocket, is excellent at running the rollout, throws an accurate deep ball on the run, and can stay in the pocket and deliver the ball quickly. He throws few interceptions considering his penchant for the deep pass. He attacks defences vertically.

Dave Dickenson's style is most effective against teams running zone defences, four or five man rushes, and when the running game is an integral part of the offence, setting up play action.

Casey Printers is most effective against teams that like to blitz and play man to man. His escapability and rollout ability puts pass defenders in tough situations as he buys time for them to get open. He will challenge a bltizing defence deep early.

Certain opposition defences are made for each style. That doesn't mean either style isn't effective against any defence, just that one works a little better.

All things being equal (say against a team that both blitzes a lot and also plays zone a lot) I would have a tendancy to start Printers for the following reasons.

1. Teams like to blitz more in the first half of games to throw off the rythym of the offence and get the quarterback under duress early. Printers has the ability to escape the blitz and his rollouts make it tougher to get to him. He'll challenge a blitzing defence early and often, causing greater fear for a blitzing defence and he also stretches the defence vertically. Printers throws the deep ball better than Dickenson. His early running ability, rollouts, and deep patterns tire out a defence quickly. The defence will have a tendancy to rush less people, play more zone to prevent the deep ball, and wear out more quickly with Printers starting.

2. Dave Dickenson can shred a defence when he's given time to throw. The defensive line, worn out by Printers running and rolling out, is then easier to run against. The pass rush is also usually less effective in the second half of a game, as smaller defensive lineman get worn down by by being blocked by larger offensive lineman and they are also less fresh. Dickenson is very effective in play action and the time helps him find open recievers. Dickenson is outstanding at stretching a defence horizontally with his passes, creating a double nightmare for defensive coordinators. The defence, now back on its heels, playing zone, will give up the intermediate ball more and noone throws the intermediate ball as well as Dickenson. If the Leos have the lead, with the defence playing well, Dickenson's ball control style is also more patient and can chew up more clock.

Of course, nothing ever works this perfectly, and defences would adjust to each quarterback's style during the game but the adjustment process can take time and both quarterbacks also have the ability to adjust their game as well.

Its a way of having two number one quarterbacks play and would probably be the most effective offence the Leos could utilize. Will it happen...probably not...but no harm in dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Zarquon
Champion

Even if DD is ready to go, Give Casey the start and dress Dickenson as the backup. He could use the extra week. Besides DD would probably be a little rusty, not what you want in such an important game.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

CP should start in Edmonton. DD shouldn't lose his job to injury, but considering how the Lions were playing during his last few starts, CP probably would have taken over by now even if DD was healthy. Casey is hot and the Lions really need to win this game to avoid giving the Esks any hope of winning the division.

It's time for the "ain't broke don't fix" rule to be applied. Let CP lead the team to a win and lock up first. Then give DD and CP a half each against the Riders. Not only will it get both guys ready for the WDF, but it will give our opponents fits not knowing who will start that game.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

GREAT problem to have, especially after watching Sask. yesterday.

8)

Don't care who starts, don't care who finishes. I love our chances with both. Time to enjoy the spoils of our riches folks.

Just win baby.
rb
Champion

Belize City Lion wrote: DD shouldn't lose his job to injury, but considering how the Lions were playing during his last few starts, CP probably would have taken over by now even if DD was healthy.
I have to question this statement, because Dickenson so far this year has been the highest-rated passer in league history and was on his way to the MOP award prior to the concussion.
TheSwerveIsBack24

Have to go with Casey Printers. Our offensive line is not that good. Casey is able to buy more time than DD can. Plus he's hot right now, I would have to say Casey. I know Buono always complained that DD held on to the ball too long and that's why he got sacked so that's why we shouldn't blame the o-line much. Let's be honest. The o-line is not that good. Casey holds the ball just as long if not longer. He's just able to escape the collapse.
Rick James
Legend

CP is 1-0 v.s. EDM this year and DD is 0-1.

CP is hot and looking dominant behind centre. You have to keep giving him the rock.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

On Wally's radio show this morning he said, no you do not lose your job to injury..."however you also have to undertsand the situation". He descibed Printers performance as magical and mentioned again about going with the guy that is hot, and that right now it's a non-issue until Dave is cleared to play.

Sounded to me like Casey will start.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Start CP. If DD is ready to go, then give him some reps in garbage time and the same if not more against the Riders - they both need to be in game shape going into the playoffs.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

no question about the Edmonton game for sure, but I wouldnt wanna have to be the one making the decision for the playoffs if DD 100% by then. Guess thats why they pay CFL coaches the big bucks :yes:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:According to an article in the Times Colonist this morning, Wally has already said Dickenson will get the start. :sigh:
When did Wally start tipping his hand this far in advance? :? :? :?
Lloyd
Lion's Pride
prospect

Buono should play Printers. DD is an excellent quarterback, but he's also excellent on the sidelines picking apart the opponents defense. I would start CP and switch to DD is things start going south. That way
DD would have a chance to assess the defense, then go in and kill em :wink:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:According to an article in the Times Colonist this morning, Wally has already said Dickenson will get the start. :sigh:
This sounds quite surprising. Any chance you could post the quote for us outside Victoria? Thanks...

:thup:
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
bunnyhop

Well, my money with CP. I feel you DD supporters, but DD no matter what is not the healthiest QB right now. Even if DD is feeling better, he's not 100% based on his injuries. DD could stand to sit for awhile and I'd go with the hot QB, it makes purrfect sense to me. However, I just like the up beat effect it's had on the team, although they're doing the same thing, the guys/team have been energized and I'd role with CP unitl otherwise.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

rb wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote: DD shouldn't lose his job to injury, but considering how the Lions were playing during his last few starts, CP probably would have taken over by now even if DD was healthy.
I have to question this statement, because Dickenson so far this year has been the highest-rated passer in league history and was on his way to the MOP award prior to the concussion.
No argument from me that DD was the best QB in the CFL prior to the injury, but the team was struggling and at some point I think Wally would have changed QBs (once CP was healthy enough) just to see if he could create some sort of spark to get the team back on track. I'm not saying that DD deserved to get benched or anything like that, but the situation was getting desparate enough prior to the Montreal game to warrant a QB change just to see if it would have an effect of the rest of the team. DD getting hurt let Wally off the hook from making that call himself.