Whom Would You Like To See Start In 2006

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Printers Or Dickenson for 2006?

Casey Printers
67%
Dave Dickensen
33%

Total votes: 57
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:With all the talk about DD and CP and BP Where do you guys see JJ next year?
I havent seen him this yr.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
mightybuck
Legend

maybe you will see him today - whats the order of QBs for this game?
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:maybe you will see him today - whats the order of QBs for this game?
beats me???? :? :? :? :?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:With all the talk about DD and CP and BP Where do you guys see JJ next year?
That's an interesting question, mightybuck...for which I have no answer or even reasonable speculation.

Jarius Jackson had his season - at least to date- botched when he injured his thumb/hand on the first play of the first exhibition game in Saskatchewan and then compounded by Buck Pierce's come off the bench in the 4th Q to get the Lion victory and doing it coming from behind and also BP's subsequent performances.

I don't know jj's contract situation but he is older than Buck Pierce and kicked around the NFL a few years before coming to BC. He needs to play to prove himself but unless more disaster hits, or BP is remains injured (don't know how he is), I can't see how he gets to play this season unless tonight were a blow out for the Lions and they decided to give him a shot.

Would they have back all the same QBs next year... wow... that is a good question as right now no one could answer that.

We know for sure one thing...Pierce is a given to be back and then who else is less known if one were to risk a speculative guess which at this point would be a shot in the dark.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
mightybuck
Legend

A lot of questions for QB next year
Keep Dave or keep Casey or both
If one is gone - does Buck become no. 2
Does Jackson stay as no. 3 or does he have trade value and they look for another rookie for the no. 3 spot?
Or heaven for bid they keep either Dave or Casey and bring in another experienced CFL QB as no. 2 ( not someone for the long haul or is looking to be their future - but as an experienced back up and make Buck no. 3 and keep grooming him - I sure hope that doesnt happen!! Does anyone think that scenario might take place?? Or do they make Buck no. 2 and bring in an experience QB for protection - something like what has happened to Doug Flutie this year.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

CP and BP... DD gets traded for more O-line personal. Someone had mentioned at the start of the season about DD being "fragile" and now I beleive it. As success as he is, his style of play will shorten his career unless Wally makes a trade for the entire Al's o-line. Calvillo thrives behind those guys and Crandell looks like a Joe Montana when he has time to throw behind his line too.
rb
Champion

The question is: who would trade for Dickenson? Saskatchewan and Winnipeg would probably love to have him, but he carries a pretty big price tag for either of those clubs and he's not really a play-every-game guy because of his physical fragility.

If Hamilton has something in the works for Maas, they won't need Dickenson, plus Eakin looks like he's going to be a good one. The Renegades might think about him but it would be a strange thing for them to let Kerry Joseph leave as a free agent-- I think Joseph's a good player, who makes one terrible decision per game, and is hampered by a weak receiving corps-- and then give up a bunch of players / draft picks for Dickenson.
rb
Champion

mightybuck wrote: Or heaven for bid they keep either Dave or Casey and bring in another experienced CFL QB as no. 2 ( not someone for the long haul or is looking to be their future - but as an experienced back up and make Buck no. 3 and keep grooming him - I sure hope that doesnt happen!! Does anyone think that scenario might take place??
That won't happen. Unless something totally unforeseeable occurs, Buck will be #2 next year. Count on it.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Is DD signed for one more year?
rb
Champion

A year ('06) plus an option ('07). His no-trade clause expires after the '05 season.
hexx

rb wrote:The question is: who would trade for Dickenson?
toronto...?

what an awful thought.

i wish they could both stay for many years to come and be happy, but i guess something's gotta give...
Blitz
Team Captain

i wish they could both stay for many years to come and be happy, but i guess something's gotta give...
Me too Hexx and I wish something didn't have to give. I would love to see the Leos be able to have both next year and then move Dickenson to a quarterback/recievers coach position while still being the back up quarterback for his option year. Expensive...yes...worth it..defintiely.

I've been accused of prefering Printers over Dickenson...and that's true for the longer future but I like what both can bring to the Leos. Both have been injured over the past two years so having both with us for next year would be great. I would float it out this way. There is no #1 quarterback for the remainder of this year or next. You will both play. We may go with the hotter hand at times, we may play one of you more against certain teams, we'll likely play you both each game. In Dave's option year we plan to move him to a coaching position while serving as a back-up quarterback in his first year as an assistant coach. His salary would be based upon serving as a coach, developing Buck Pierce and the #3 quarterback, and providing veteran depth at the quarterback position.

There is always the potential for fans to knock one over the other, based upon their preference of each quarterbacks style or personality..or other factors. For this discussion I'm going to assume that both are relatively healthy, are both playing well, and would be willing to share the position for another year. I'm also going to assume that both will get injured at some point next season and be unable to play a game or two.

Dave Dickenson: He brings veteran leadership, mental toughness, a strong knowledge of the CFL, NFL back-up experience, a strong background knowledge of different defensive alignments and schemes. He's a cerebral quarterback with very good ability to read a defence. He's mainly a pocket passer and can move around in the pocket and is willing to run. He has great touch on short passes, throws the intermediate ball very accurately, and can go deep. He throws few interceptions. His ball control style of quarterbacking can eat up a lot of clock.

Casey Printers: A tall, strong quarterback he brings athleticism to the position along with a strong arm and excellent running ability. He has leadership abilities and is physically tough. He has great escapability from the pocket, is excellent at running the rollout, throws an accurate deep ball on the run, and can stay in the pocket and deliver the ball quickly. He throws few interceptions considering his penchant for the deep pass. He attacks defences vertically.

Dave Dickenson's style is most effective against teams running zone defences, four or five man rushes, and when the running game is an integral part of the offence, setting up play action.

Casey Printers is most effective against teams that like to blitz and play man to man. His escapability and rollout ability puts pass defenders in tough situations as he buys time for them to get open. He will challenge a bltizing defence deep early.

Certain opposition defences are made for each style. That doesn't mean either style isn't effective against any defence, just that one works a little better.

All things being equal (say against a team that both blitzes a lot and also plays zone a lot) I would have a tendancy to start Printers for the following reasons.

1. Teams like to blitz more in the first half of games to throw off the rythym of the offence and get the quarterback under duress early. Printers has the ability to escape the blitz and his rollouts make it tougher to get to him. He'll challenge a blitzing defence early and often, causing greater fear for a blitzing defence and he also stretches the defence vertically. Printers throws the deep ball better than Dickenson. His early running ability, rollouts, and deep patterns tire out a defence quickly. The defence will have a tendancy to rush less people, play more zone to prevent the deep ball, and wear out more quickly with Printers starting.

2. Dave Dickenson can shred a defence when he's given time to throw. The defensive line, worn out by Printers running and rolling out, is then easier to run against. The pass rush is also usually less effective in the second half of a game, as smaller defensive lineman get worn down by by being blocked by larger offensive lineman and they are also less fresh. Dickenson is very effective in play action and the time helps him find open recievers. Dickenson is outstanding at stretching a defence horizontally with his passes, creating a double nightmare for defensive coordinators. The defence, now back on its heels, playing zone, will give up the intermediate ball more and noone throws the intermediate ball as well as Dickenson. If the Leos have the lead, with the defence playing well, Dickenson's ball control style is also more patient and can chew up more clock.

Of course, nothing ever works this perfectly, and defences would adjust to each quarterback's style during the game but the adjustment process can take time and both quarterbacks also have the ability to adjust their game as well.

Its a way of having two number one quarterbacks play and would probably be the most effective offence the Leos could utilize. Will it happen...probably not...but no harm in dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes: :yes:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Joshua

rb wrote:The question is: who would trade for Dickenson? Saskatchewan and Winnipeg would probably love to have him, but he carries a pretty big price tag for either of those clubs and he's not really a play-every-game guy because of his physical fragility.

If Hamilton has something in the works for Maas, they won't need Dickenson, plus Eakin looks like he's going to be a good one. The Renegades might think about him but it would be a strange thing for them to let Kerry Joseph leave as a free agent-- I think Joseph's a good player, who makes one terrible decision per game, and is hampered by a weak receiving corps-- and then give up a bunch of players / draft picks for Dickenson.
O-line is BCs pressing need heading into next year. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have three-first rounders next year? You likely won't get starters for the O-line out of the draft but you could pick up a couple guys for the future. Sask has a great O-line but would you trade a DD to a western team when you could try an outbid Montreal and sask for Flory who is a F/A? I think it would take a Canadian starting o-lineman and a DB at the very least to get DD from BC.

Wow, I'd kill to have your QB options.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Printers all the way :rockin:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion