Duncan

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What was he thinking as Brett went out to kick

I sure hope he makes it
50%
God I hope he misses
50%

Total votes: 42
MacNews
Team Captain

If Anderson is using the net then there is nothing O'Mahony can do.
Ravi
Legend

TSN showed Anderson kicking into the net in the fourth quarter. Can the Lions win a Grey Cup with O'Mahony as the placekicker? I don't think so. He can maybe come up with one good game but can't string the two good ones together that he will need come post-season time. Wally must come up with somebody else within the next week. If he doesn't, he will regret not doing anything about this problem come playoff time.
milky

the main problem with dunco as I see it is his approach to the ball. How can anybody be accurate when they are approaching the ball at such an exaggerated angle? I don't know where he learned to kick like that but the Lions have Lui and Donnie Sweet, 2 of the best fg kickers of all time close by maybe they can help with his technique. Either that or they have to find somebody else. If they can't then I would rather see Bret anderson kicking fg's.He should be able to kick the short ones, 40yds. and in, with a little practice.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CB123 wrote:
My biggest gripe is why didn't O'Mahony or even Brett Anderson practice kicking into the net ? O'Mahony just stood on the sidelines..........
I saw Anderson kicking into the net a bunch of times in the 4th quarter.
True. Anderson was kicking into the net. Wally made the decision to switch kickers long before he knew it would have to be a 48-yarder.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

After all this talk about Duncan, perhaps people should not criticize and insult Matt Kellett as often as they have in the past.

This kicking fiasco reminds me of the start of the 1988 season when Lui went to try out for the Cleveland Browns after a contract dispute. The original replacement was Tony Martino, but he didn't do well and then a kicker named Roy Kurtz was used for a while and he didn't fair much better. Then came Bernie Ruoff and he was used in a few games and was kept on the team after Lui returned to serve as the FG kicker. But after missing several decisive field goals in a game, the job was eventually given back to Lui.
hexx

i stuck up for duncan when he was struggling earlier in the season. i hated people calling him duncan o'missy. but it is really starting to look like he has no clue what he is doing kicking FG's.

he's a good punter.
jagger13
prospect

Whally on the post game show is showing his stubborness by refusing to admit a change is needed. There are still nfl cuts around and he could at least bring a couple in and have a look. I can't believe seeing o'manny run on to the field is doing his ticker any good. If the fans don't think anything is being done they will rain their frustration with boos when ever that cocky little bugger makes an appearance!
TROOPER

Ravi wrote: Wally must come up with somebody else within the next week. If he doesn't, he will regret not doing anything about this problem come playoff time.
I couldn't agree more O'Mahony is absolutely atrocious, IMO he's lost all heart since, everytime TSN shows him walking out to sail another field goal wide, he looks like a timid little mouse. Wally should cut his sorry excuse for a place kicker before it costs the Lions in a meaningful game.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I, too, used to defend DO, as a confidence issue can be worked through......but, the fact that they used Anderson for the last kick means that Wally has lost confidence in DO as well............it's time to burn a DI spot on a place kicker.
Lloyd
Arny
Champion

milky wrote: I don't know where he learned to kick like that but the Lions have Lui and Donnie Sweet, 2 of the best fg kickers of all time close by maybe they can help with his technique
I think that is part of the problem right there, Don Sweet is trying to get Duncan to kick like him. Kind of hard to apply a technique when one is over 6' and the other is well under. I don't remember Duncan lining up at that much of an angle last year. :?

Hell, right now it might be better if he lined up straight and just toe-punted it.
giwiens
Starter
Location: you can know where I was or my direction of travel but not both

Back to the poll question.

My thought was "The poor guy having to deal with this pressure."
Roar Lions Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:I, too, used to defend DO, as a confidence issue can be worked through......but, the fact that they used Anderson for the last kick means that Wally has lost confidence in DO as well............it's time to burn a DI spot on a place kicker.
Wally said of DO'M's FG attempts on Saturday, the first one was struck correctly and missed, the second struck okay and missed, but the third one showed he had lost it, and was why Anderson was put in. He is still giving him the chance to win the position for the Winnipeg game but is going to bring in some competition. A turn around from what he implied directly after the game.....must not of liked what he heard or saw on tape of Duncan..
Entertainment value = an all time low
maddeep73
Champion

[quot

Quote:

My biggest gripe is why didn't O'Mahony or even Brett Anderson practice kicking into the net ? O'Mahony just stood on the sidelines..........

I saw Anderson kicking into the net a bunch of times in the 4th quarter
[/quote]

Yup, my buddy said 'look whose warming up!' it was Anderson. He even practiced with Crumb.
As for O'Mahony, he knew he was benched which is why he wasn't warming up. It was a done deal.
Keepin' it real
Blitz
Team Captain

it is really starting to look like he has no clue what he is doing kicking FG's.

TSN showed Anderson kicking into the net in the fourth quarter. Can the Lions win a Grey Cup with O'Mahony as the placekicker? I don't think so.
If the fans don't think anything is being done they will rain their frustration with boos when ever that cocky little bugger makes an appearance!
couldn't agree more O'Mahony is absolutely atrocious
Can you feel the LOVE on this thread.... I'm sure Duncan can too!!! :twisted: :yes:

Wonder how some posters would feel if their boss wanted to bring in an import to replace them!!!

The fact is that Wally felt Duncan had improved his kicking (9-12 in his last stretch before this game) and this game MAY have been an abberation in that improvement.

He brought Greathouse in this week and let them compete for it at practice. O'Mahoney won the competition and Greathouse is no slouch. Fact is Wally doesn't want to burn an import position if he doesn't have to..so he's giving Duncan one more chance.

Greathouse is now on the practice roster. If Duncan kicks well in Winnipeg he'll kick again back at home..if he doesn't we'll see Greathouse!

As for the people who call Duncan "O' Missey" or boo him before, during, or after field goals.... most of them couldn't kick a convert with only a holder and no defence out there....on a dry field on a sunny day with no wind!!

Most of the ones who could kick them... wouldn't call him names or boo him!!!

Bring it on!!!! :x :wink: :yes: :yes:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
LFITQ
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
it is really starting to look like he has no clue what he is doing kicking FG's.

TSN showed Anderson kicking into the net in the fourth quarter. Can the Lions win a Grey Cup with O'Mahony as the placekicker? I don't think so.
If the fans don't think anything is being done they will rain their frustration with boos when ever that cocky little bugger makes an appearance!
couldn't agree more O'Mahony is absolutely atrocious
Can you feel the LOVE on this thread.... I'm sure Duncan can too!!! :twisted: :yes:

Wonder how some posters would feel if their boss wanted to bring in an import to replace them!!!

The fact is that Wally felt Duncan had improved his kicking (9-12 in his last stretch before this game) and this game MAY have been an abberation in that improvement.

He brought Greathouse in this week and let them compete for it at practice. O'Mahoney won the competition and Greathouse is no slouch. Fact is Wally doesn't want to burn an import position if he doesn't have to..so he's giving Duncan one more chance.

Greathouse is now on the practice roster. If Duncan kicks well in Winnipeg he'll kick again back at home..if he doesn't we'll see Greathouse!

As for the people who call Duncan "O' Missey" or boo him before, during, or after field goals.... most of them couldn't kick a convert with only a holder and no defence out there....on a dry field on a sunny day with no wind!!

Most of the ones who could kick them... wouldn't call him names or boo him!!!

Bring it on!!!! :x :wink: :yes: :yes:
Uh oh ...

Blitz is getting into the Personnel Department again and straying away from plays, schemes and the like ....

But this time - I'm not going to rip into him except for one thing ...

CFL is still a business which relies on the expenditure of entertainment dollar's by their fans. If the fans beleive the product on the field is not worthy of their entertainment dollar they will choose to go elsewhere with it.

Just like a play that has sub par performance's and the actors get booed - so do the entertainers in Football.

Fans have that ability to "boo" poor performances that do not live up to their billing. It is expected that when there are professionals in the entertainment industry - that you are going to get their best every performance. If not, the fans of the entertainment will voice their displeasure. Oftentimes in teh form of a "boo".

It is up to the General Manager or Director - to make sure the best talent is out there to perform for the paying audience.

In Duncan's case instead of singing "Music of the Night" he is kicking field goals. If he went out and missed the words to the song - he would get booed. Here is missing kicks and thusly getting booed.

There are many anaolgies being thrown about with regards to other workplaces - however many forget that the entertainment industry is a much different workplace than any other and not comparable to many other forms of employment. It is an industry of high risk/high reward. Few others are the same.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??