Should the start time for the Oct. 22 game be moved up?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Should the Lions move up the start time of the Oct. 22 game?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 37
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I thought Braley summed it up quite well on the pre-game show... the Lions shedule has been out for about 6 months and the first people to get a copy sent to them are the Canucks management. Without coming right out and saying it, Braley says the Canucks are dix for scheduling a game up against the Lions and no way will he risk pissing off Lions ticket holders by changing the start time.

Good on ya David!
LFITQ
Team Captain

Without coming right out and saying it, Braley says the Canucks are dix for scheduling a game up against the Lions and no way will he risk pissing off Lions ticket holders by changing the start time.
Truth be told - I think the Canucks shouldn't care what the schedule is for the Lions and do what they feel is in their best interests. They obviously feel that they are the bigger draw and that it won't matter to get their 16,000 in the door.

The people that should the most ticked about this duplication should be the City of Vancouver who has to worry about 2 crowds downtown on the same night with drunks and drivers and parking and scalpers and panhandlers and and and and and .... I know if I was in city Management I would be a little ticked at the Canucks.

(Keep in mind this is also assuming that the Canucks had a choice ... the League might have told them they had no choice.)
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
cedyboy

A couple years ago the Canucks and Lions had a deal where when the Canuck game ended, fans from GM Place could buy 1/2 price Lions seats to catch the 2nd half
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In retrospect, having two games on the same day did affect attendance and not surprisingly, the Lions came out on the losing end. The Canucks took away what would have been Lions spectators. In any case, you were treated to a great show whether you were in BC Place or GM Place.

In GM Place, there was a sellout crowd of 18,630 watching the Vancouver Canucks beat the Colorado Avalanche 6-4 in what was Todd Bertuzzi's first game against Colorado since the Steve Moore attack. In BC Place, there was a poor attendance of 20,202 watching the Lions handily beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 41-1. It's debatable as to who got treated to the better show.

For a real good example of local teams competing with each other for attendance, consider the city of Chicago today (October 23). In the MLB World Series, the Chicago White Sox will be hosting the Houston Astros. In the NFL, the Chicago Bears will be hosting the Baltimore Ravens. And in the NHL, the Chicago Black Hawks will be hosting the Minnesota Wild. At least the Chicago Bulls are not hosting any team in NBA pre-season today. It will be interesting to see what the attendance is for the Bears and Black Hawks today.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:In BC Place, there was a poor attendance of 20,202 watching the Lions handily beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 41-1. It's debatable as to who got treated to the better show.

Care to rephrase that laddy?? Maybe next time you should stay for the WHOLE game (if you were there at all) :roll:

From bluebombers.com

Vancouver - Casey Printers showed once again why he was the MVP of the league last season. The BC Lions Quarterback threw for 303 yards and 4 touchdowns as the Lions dismantled the Bombers in front of 29,870 people at BC Place stadium.

Yeah. :roll:
Real women wear orange!!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The point is a good one though. The Canucks game at the same time affects attendance for the Lions whether is some who went to the Canucks or some who chose to stay home as they believed it would be too busy with traffic.

Either way, the Canucks should try and avoid the CFL home games for BC as it is not very many during the overlap.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Ballistic Bob
Legend

In retrospect, having two games on the same day did affect attendance and not surprisingly, the Lions came out on the losing end. The Canucks took away what would have been Lions spectators. In any case, you were treated to a great show whether you were in BC Place or GM Place.
I know for a fact I wouldnt want to miss game 10 of a 82 game schedule and that the playoffs in April are just around the corner. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Yeah, where's Robbie getting 20,202 from? Isn't that capacity at Percival Molson Stadium?

With the four game skid we were on, the opponent and the fact that there was nothing on the line in terms of clinching a playoff berth or first place or whatever, we were due for a letdown at the gate even without televised NHL competition. I think the crowd will improve for the season finale vs Sask, if only because of the extra Rider fans. I didn't sense that there were many Wpg fans in attendance last night.

I used to think that the announced attendance included ALL of the 7-11 east endzone seats, whether 7-11 sold them or not, but after last night I'm not so sure. 29,870 is about the lower bowl capacity, but the 7-11 section was only sparsely filled. I figured the people upstairs would have pushed it into the 30k's, but not so. Perhaps a lot of unsold seats were scattered through the rest of the lower bowl?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:I used to think that the announced attendance included ALL of the 7-11 east endzone seats, whether 7-11 sold them or not, but after last night I'm not so sure. 29,870 is about the lower bowl capacity, but the 7-11 section was only sparsely filled. I figured the people upstairs would have pushed it into the 30k's, but not so. Perhaps a lot of unsold seats were scattered through the rest of the lower bowl?
They count the 7-Eleven seats in the pre-game sale total but not the actual turnstile count. You're right ... the 7-Eleven sections were sparsely filled and there's been a few times this season where I have seen plenty of blue there but not elsewhere in the stadium.

I'm not sure if the 7-Eleven deal has been as well received as the previus promotion through Safeway but maybe it needs more time to grow on people. Then again ... $39.95 plus tax for a pair of those seats isn't exactly a great deal.

Ackles said on the pre-game they have a shot at 40,000 for the Riders game.
Also the playoff game sales are now up to 19,000.

The club is hoping to sell an addtional 2,000 to 3,000 more season tickets 2006 and average 5,000 more fans a game.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Yeah, where's Robbie getting 20,202 from? Isn't that capacity at Percival Molson Stadium?
Sj-Roc and Catseyes: Oops, I stand corrected. I had a hard time getting the attendance figure for last night's Lions game. I searched the CFL, TSN, and CBC web sites and none of them had the information. I then found the attendance figure at http://www.canada.com:

If you go to:

http://sports.canada.com/default.asp?c= ... s/R671.htm

and then click on the "Box Scores" link for the top entry of that page that indicates Brt Columbia 41 Winnipeg 1, it will INCORRECTLY take you to a page showing last week's box score of BC at Montreal. So the link was incorrect and I didn't notice it.

I retract my earlier statements and now I say that it's quite all right for the Lions and Canucks to play on the same night.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:For a real good example of local teams competing with each other for attendance, consider the city of Chicago today (October 23). In the MLB World Series, the Chicago White Sox will be hosting the Houston Astros. In the NFL, the Chicago Bears will be hosting the Baltimore Ravens. And in the NHL, the Chicago Blackhawks will be hosting the Minnesota Wild. At least the Chicago Bulls are not hosting any team in NBA pre-season today. It will be interesting to see what the attendance is for the Bears and Black Hawks today.
It's been a great day for the city of Chicago as all three of its sports teams won. The White Sox beat the Astros 7-6 to take game 2 of the World Series. The same day game did not seem to affect attendance for its NFL team as a typical high crowd of 62,102 was on hand to see the Chicago Bears beat the Baltimore Ravens 10-6. But it did seem to affect attendance for its NHL team as only 11,368 was on hand to see the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Minnesota Wild 4-2.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:The club is hoping to sell an addtional 2,000 to 3,000 more season tickets 2006 and average 5,000 more fans a game.
I'll be buying STH for 2006............
David
Team Captain

Ticket sales for the Rider game in 2 weeks already stand at 32,000 (as of Saturday October 22). Ironically, this number will climb substantially if the Lions lose in Edmonton as first place will be on the line.

Of course, we're hoping that's not the case. :cr:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CB123
Legend

I don?t think the canucks game affected the Lions attendance that much. We were on a 4 game losing streak, and we were playing Winnipeg, not SSK, or ED, or a big rival like that.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I think it's a good thing that the Lions will now host the Western Final on November 20 as opposed to the Western Semi-Final on November 13. Among all the reasons, one main reason is because there will be competition for attendance between the local sports teams as the Canucks will be hosting the powerful Detroit Red Wings on the evening of Sunday, November 13 and that should be a sellout at GM Place. True, that game is at night at the Western Semi-Final will be in the afternoon, so for the weathy, one can first attend the CFL playoff game and then the NHL game. But I don't think most of us have steep pockets to attend two games on one day.

The Canucks will also be playing on the day of the western final, Sunday, November 20, but that is a road game in Anaheim.