POLL: Do you want an OUTDOOR stadium or happy with the dome?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

To Dome or not to Dome ...

Dome
73%
Outdoor
27%

Total votes: 104
David
Team Captain

Those of you that know me know that I have been pushing long and hard for an outdoor stadium for the Leos. Not just because I think football is meant to be played in the elements forcing teams to adjust and strategize accordingly, but living in such an outdoor city as we do, it's almost a requirement.

Having said that, I don't hate going to games at BC Place. Especially the last couple of years when there's been an 'edge' to the crowd; people screaming at the top of their lungs, the opposing teams finding it tough to play here, and our own Lions responding to all the excitement.

Sadly though, 59,000 is way too many seats for our league. Even when the Esks came to town and there were over 35,000 people - a decent turnout - I was looking out onto rows upon rows of empty sections. :sigh: I doubt those will ever be completely filled again for a regular season game.

Yes, we are building something special here in BC and a lot more people are being turned onto Lions football but let's be real. This ain't 1983 anymore. Are we always going to be playing this "will they or won't they" game with the curtain? How many sections are they going to open? What will they charge? Will they lift the blackout? Frankly it's all a little tedious.

Unfortunately, with too much inventory in an indoor setting for a sport played primarily in the summer months, our attendance will always be tied to our won-loss record. If we're undefeated in August and still can't get more than 36,000 out to see them play, what makes you think that - other than a WDF or Grey Cup - we'll ever get to 55,000+?

By playing outdoors in a 37,000 seat outdoor stadium in June, July, August, and September though, the casual fans will always go to soak up the atmosphere even if the team doesn't have a great record.

DH 8)
Last edited by David on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maddeep73
Champion

I have been to games in Edmonton and Calgary and there is just something about being outside that is better.
I concur, my friend. I was there beside you in Edmonton and Calgary and there was something very special about both outdoor stadiums. Even when it rained in Edmonton, it was all good. I'd kill to have an outdoor stadium here.
Keepin' it real
D
Team Captain

I feel sentimental towards the Stadium. I remember watching them inflate the roof when I was only 14 years old.
I watched them blow it up to .... but my sentiments are outdoors at Empire ... I'd love it if they built a NEW Empire right where the old one so I could complete the sentimental journey with a pre and post game roller coaster ride ... ya I know not going to happen :bawl:

Regardless I still prefer an outdoor stadium :rockin:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

well mabye they will demolish the dome at the end of the contract and build a retractable roof?
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

If the Lions were to move outdoors, I'd like to see something simliar to Qwest Field, where a lot of the seating is covered, however, there are sections that are unbostructed to rain, for those who choose it get soaked, when it starts raining in September.

Personally, I like the fact that I can go to a game in November, in nothing more than a shirt and jeans and not get frostbite or suffer from massive shrinkage.
Lady_Lioness

I didn't actually answer the poll only because I do believe that both have their merits. Some people complain about the heat inside BC Place, but to me that just adds to the intensity and recently with the renewed interest and crowds, the heat is just an added bonus in making the opponent more miserable. Plus inside a dome, the noise level is far greater. So far this year every home game that I have been to have been some of the better experiences I have had in recent memory. But on the other hand I would love to watch a game in the rain on a fall evening. I only really got into fotball in the mid 80's , so I dont have any memories from Empire Stadium though i have heard plenty of stories. Ideally the Lions should look at building a 45,000 capacity stadium with a retractable roof. But BC place has to be left intact for all the other events around town plus the Grey Cup. Someone from the Lions organization mentioned a few years ago that if there was no 60,000 stadium, the Grey Cup would never come to Vancouver.
omega2000

Outdoor (covered sideline seats) 35,000 capacity with ability expand to 50,000 for playoff games and Grey Cups.
We need an outdoor stadium but
it has to have a LEAST 40,000 seats or more.
I'm happy with the dome, but if we ever move to an outdoor stadium it has to be 35k+ with the option to add extra seats for big events.

Big game+BC Place= NOISE :rockin:

I really wanna stay in the dome now that the crowds are bigger and noisier... the crowds are starting to make it tough for visiting teams :beer:
crburrows
Champion

Football is meant to be played in the elements, on grass.

If Braley can get together with Kerfoot and make a 40k+ stadium (expandable to 60k for playoffs), I'm all for it.
omega2000

This ain't 1983 anymore
were those big crowds back in those days due to the new, technological wonder, BC Place? Its a little before my time and I only started going to games about 1989-1990 or so.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

An outdoor 37K+ stadium would be fantastic. And if it could be more centrally located....like Empire was, maybe even more eastern, I'm sure you would see a greater number of fans coming in from outside GVR.

The best of both worlds would be a stadium with a retractable roof. You would have to think that could be a major selling feature for the fair weather fan.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
smphantom
Legend

Retractable roof stadium please. We all know how much it rains here in June, October and November. Use some of the money that will be lining the Government's pockets from the Olympics and build a Safeco Field type of stadium. :thup:
Stay thirsty my friends.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I agree there is nothing like sitting outdoors on a nice night watching football... but given the choice between sitting in the rain (when it's 10c or less) for 3 hours or sitting under the dome, I'll take the dome.

I too have great memories of Empire, but I was a kid and I didn't care about weather or comfort. I'm not sure I would be willing to sit out in the rain all night now. I'd probably be in the concorse in the coffee/hot chocolate line with all the other grown-ups.

A retractable roof obviously makes the most sense for Vancouver, but considering how difficult it is to get Canadians to spend money on sporting facililties I can't see that happening in my lifetime.
jerepeters
Rookie

I remember Empire stadium, I was 9-10 yrs old and I remember BC place being opened ,the one thing I'd like to see about our BC Place stadium is take the roof off or have a retractable roof :thup:

BC Place :rockin: Rules and I heard through the grape vine if Vancouver did not get the winter olympics the BC Lions would of looked for a site to have a new Stadium,

I can go either way but if they where to make the roof on BC Place would be :rockin:
BC Lions Fan & Season Ticket holder since 2006
crburrows
Champion

Retractible not necessary.

Keep the fans covered, but have the field open - there's nothing wrong with having the elements on the field.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Playing outdoors rescued the Alouettes. I think people in Vancouver would love to watch a game outside.

I was a teenager when Empire Stadium was demolished, but I never went once in my life. :sigh: