POLL: Do you want an OUTDOOR stadium or happy with the dome?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

To Dome or not to Dome ...

Dome
73%
Outdoor
27%

Total votes: 104
Zarquon
Champion

Considering how much it rains in Vancouver a retractable Dome would be best. For now I'm more than happy with our current situation.
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

zarquon wrote:Considering how much it rains in Vancouver a retractable Dome would be best. For now I'm more than happy with our current situation.
According to Wikipedia, it was the cold, rain-soaked November 1982 CFL Grey Cup game, held at the outdoor Toronto's Exhibition Stadium, that spurred the process of looking for a new stadium. The game was tormented by cold weather and rains, the washrooms overflowed, and spectators were exposed to the harsh weather.

One would think that a retractable roof stadium would be the best compromise for everybody in that it could make a game indoors or outdoors. But apparently, that is not the case as it seems like retractable roof stadiums aren't nearly as popular as one imagined. The city of Seattle, with billionaire Paul Allen, elected an all-outdoor stadium over a retractable roof for Qwest Field. And in recent years, there have been numerous discussions about the Argos wanting to move out of Rogers Centre.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Zarquon
Champion

Robbie wrote:
zarquon wrote:Considering how much it rains in Vancouver a retractable Dome would be best. For now I'm more than happy with our current situation.
According to Wikipedia, it was the cold, rain-soaked November 1982 CFL Grey Cup game, held at the outdoor Toronto's Exhibition Stadium, that spurred the process of looking for a new stadium. The game was tormented by cold weather and rains, the washrooms overflowed, and spectators were exposed to the harsh weather.

One would think that a retractable roof stadium would be the best compromise for everybody in that it could make a game indoors or outdoors. But apparently, that is not the case as it seems like retractable roof stadiums aren't nearly as popular as one imagined. The city of Seattle, with billionaire Paul Allen, elected an all-outdoor stadium over a retractable roof for Qwest Field. And in recent years, there have been numerous discussions about the Argos wanting to move out of Rogers Centre.
Seattle's decision had more to do with cost than with desire. In addition they originally were going to put natural grass on that field (although later changed their minds because the players preferred the FieldTurf), that played into the decision for an outdoor stadium.

As for Toronto they want to play in a stadium that they can sell out.
Passaglia
All Star

After getting frost bite at a game in Winnpeg in '92 and sitting in that freezing cold/pouring rain in Hamilton this year I will gladly keep going to games in the dome!!
Rammer
Team Captain

Best opiton has to be the retractable roof for the stadium and isn't on the poll. Otherwise it is simply the Dome sweet Dome mantra.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Reider
Starter

I am a Rider fan, but I feel I can contribute to this discussion as I have been to the Metrodome in Minneapolis many many (dozens?) times. I really like having a dome, but on nice days it's nice to have the game outside. It would be nice if you had a stadium with a retractable roof.
Reider
Starter

Rammer wrote:Best opiton has to be the retractable roof for the stadium and isn't on the poll. Otherwise it is simply the Dome sweet Dome mantra.
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing, retractable roof should be on the poll.. best option imo.
D
Team Captain

give me the great outdoors ..... unless retractable is in the budget 8)
I own The Grey Cup! .com
hwgill
Legend

Outdoor is fine in the summer/early fall, but late fall? I wouldn't go...I hate the cold at the best of times.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
GCG

D wrote:give me the great outdoors ..... unless retractable is in the budget 8)
And the design in Arizona ( a Canadian firm) was done at a fraction of the cost of Skydome. Curious that the design was an option for Skydome Corp. back then. But somehow got rejected.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote: I always thought it was a mistake to put the Stadium downtown and still do. The bulk of the population doesn't live downtown and never will.
Having a stadium downtown is important to a city. Teams like the Detroit Lions who experimented with suburban stadiums are moving back to downtown stadiums. It's not that the Detroit Lions didn't fill the house in Pontiac, it's that the city of Detroit saw the value of having their team play games downtown.

The BC Lions may similarly draw just fine at a stadium in Surrey, but the city of Vancouver needs to understand the importance of keeping the games downtown. Sure the land BC Place is on may be worth millions, but at the same time the land encompassed by Stanley Park would be worth billions. Should Stanley Park be de-reserved to allow condos to be built? Or is there a greater benefit to a city that having parks and stadiums provide to the overall quality of life and vibrance of the community?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

While this poll is interesting, it begs the question and the new reality - governments are not likely to participate in funding such ventures for pro sports. This isn't the USA where County administrations poll and then build stadiums to attract and retain NFL teams and maybe even NHL hockety teams in some markets. If BC Place were lost I can't see a BC Lions owner now or in future wanting to fund a new outdoor facility.
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:While this poll is interesting, it begs the question and the new reality - governments are not likely to participate in funding such ventures for pro sports. This isn't the USA where County administrations poll and then build stadiums to attract and retain NFL teams and maybe even NHL hockety teams in some markets. If BC Place were lost I can't see a BC Lions owner now or in future wanting to fund a new outdoor facility.
GM Place seems to be doing alright. The problem that many government funded stadiums don't think overall revenue, just put up a obx that will meet minimum needs. GM Place was made for hockey, but alos is a great venue for other events, and as I understand is occupied all year long due to this. A private owner for a football stadium would have to weigh off this cost against the remaining 340 days of the year that football isn't being played. Can it be done, I think so, but with the real estate of Vancouver, they may have to get a break on the land from the local governments in order to do so. Private ownership will have a more financial tight budget, and get more for their money in the end. Construction knows they can screw over the government funded construction operations, by inflating costs as they go along.
Entertainment value = an all time low
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Football was meant to be played on natural grass, how many times has it rained during a Lions home game? A few years ago I heard it was like 10 or 12, since 1983.
Not sure of the present #.

Retractable roof stadium like Quest field would be purrfect :thup: :yes:
Bighill is Badass
Robbie
Hall of Famer

AC/DCrocks wrote:Retractable roof stadium like Quest field would be purrfect :thup: :yes:
:?
Seattle Seahawks' Qwest Field does NOT have a retractable roof.

Are you getting it confused with the Seattle Mariners' baseball stadium Safeco Field, which has the retractable roof?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。