POLL: Do you want an OUTDOOR stadium or happy with the dome?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

To Dome or not to Dome ...

Dome
73%
Outdoor
27%

Total votes: 104
Robbie
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:And would you like a ROOF over the seating area like Empire had and Quest Field has? Or COMPLETELY OPEN AIR so that seagull droppings can fall on your head......
This topic of indoor vs. outdoor has been discussed numerous times in the past. But it's interesting that you bring up this issue about roofs over outdoor stadiums as I now realize that there certainly is a big difference. For certain stadiums, there are no roofs at all, while for others, there are partial roofs that only cover a small portion of the grandstands.

I would have to say that compared to other outdoor stadiums, Empire stadium was rather unique in that a large portion of the grandstand was covered. So therefore, it may not have been a completely accurate "representation" of an outdoor stadium as I'm sure there's some people who think that a true outdoor stadium is one that is not covered at all.

As you can see, Empire Stadium was well-covered:

You will see what I mean when you compare it to the seven outdoor CFL stadiums.

Outdoor CFL Stadiums with no roofs

Edmonton's Commonwealth

Calgary's McMahon

Hamilton's Ivor Wynne

Montreal's Molson

Outdoor CFL Stadiums with partial roofs

Saskatchewan's Taylor Field

Winnipeg's Canad Inns

Ottawa's Frank Clair

As you can see, all seven outdoor stadiums have less spectator coverage than Empire Stadium.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I've seen arguments for indoor and outdoor stadiums when it comes to issues like weather, crowd noise, comfort, and capacity. But I believe this is factor is definitely original: the cheerleaders.

I'm sure you like the cheerleaders dressed in provocative costumes revealing a lot of skin. While they are dressed that way in the summer, by the time late September and especially the November playoffs come around, the cheerleaders in outdoor stadiums will no longer be scantily clad as they would freeze, and they would be covered up. Only in an indoor stadium will the cheerleaders continue to wear their scanty summer costumes throughout the entire season.

Personally, I think the Seattle Seagals have the best uniforms. But since moving to outdoor Qwest Field from the indoor Kingdome, by the time November comes around, the Seagals start covering up and dress more conservatively.
GCG

Britain... wimbledon Football Club - 30,000 seats:

[img]http://www.sportsvenue-technology.com/p ... Dons01.jpg[/img]

STADIUM DESIGN

In spring 2003 the planning application for the new sports and spectator event stadium was submitted. The plans include the stadium/arena complex with retail and commercial development featuring an ASDA Wal-Mart Supercentre on the 73-acre site at Denbigh North.

Wimbledon's new permanent home, Stadium MK, is a 30,000 capacity open air sports stadium with a 35,000 capacity for concerts. Integrated with the stadium is a 6,500-seat indoor arena which will become home to the MK Lions professional basketball team. Additional facilities include conference and banqueting and a Community Hub with Children's Activity Centre and Learning Support Centre.

The sports and events facilities are made possible by the 'enabling' development of a 100,000ft? ASDA Wal-Mart Supercentre. The plans also include a 70,000ft? DIY and Garden Centre, a four-storey Media Village development, a 200-bed hotel, restaurants, health and fitness centre and two fast food outlets.

Initial capacity for the new ?30 million ground will be 30,000 with the potential to increase to 45,000 seats.
ryanz4

Having never been to BC Place, I can not comment on how the atmosphere is there. But I've been to the Skydome with the roof both open and closed, and they both have there advantages and disadvantages.

It was about 10 degrees when I went with the dome open, so it was pretty damn cold, but enjoyable because of the nature light.
I did find that the sun can be too bright on the field, for the players, but they adjust to it. (the attendance with the roof open was approximately 25,000, and it seemed pretty quiet)

When I went when the dome was closed, it was a beautiful evening (so I'm not sure why it was closed :sigh: )
I found it also enjoyable as well and with an attendance of about less than 20,000, it was louder than the previous game.

As long as the stadium is comfortable, I personally do not care whether or not it's an indoor or outdoor stadium. Just as long as the game in a good one :beauty:

And Empire stadium didn't look all that bad. Seemed as if it was covered fairly well.
KC

Everybody whines about having an Outdoor Stadium, but when you have 35,000 or more people, screaming at the top of their lungs. There's no place like Dome...............................KC 8)
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

I am an old traditionalist on this issue.
Outdoor stadium definately, has to have real grass.
The only problem with empires old natural grass surface was how low to sea level it was, with proper drainage it would probably work today.

I vote for refurbishing the old Empire site!
Bighill is Badass
ryanz4

AC/DCrocks wrote: I vote for refurbishing the old Empire site!
What is it used for now?
120dB
Legend

Can Braley buy B.C. Place Stadium? Is it for sale?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:Can Braley buy B.C. Place Stadium? Is it for sale?
The land is too valuable to be used for a stadium, so in short, the answer is...no.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

What is it used for now?[/quote]

The field area is still there and I believe there are a couple ball diamonds on it.
Grandstands were torn down quite a while ago.
Bighill is Badass
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't know that any individual could afford to buy that piece of land now. The worth I don't know but all told it is probably in the 100's of millions with the included stadium. I always thought it was a mistake to put the Stadium downtown and still do. The bulk of the population doesn't live downtown and never will. Empire was a good choice because of it's proximity to the Freeway and the NorthShore. Surrey, King George, has it's advantages too. People coming in from the Valley don't have to go as far and don't have a bridge to cross.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

As I'm posting this message, people favour the dome by a 58-24 margin. With this latest huge rainfall, I'm sure more will favour the dome. I'm sure all the Lions coaches, players, and Felions will too.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Who dug this one up?

You know the old saying. It rained every game day the Lions played at Empire, and it hasn't rained a single game day since.

Vancouver was made for a retractable roof stadium.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Just as another reminder about Empire. The roof did provide pretty good coverage but I also remember some games where the wind was blowing and the water was coming in sideways. The stadium had a North/South orientation so if you were on the East side, you got the Wind and the Rain in your face, even if you were under the roof. And I don't care what anyone else says, 3 hours in the wind or the cold is a hell of a lot different than 3 hours in the wind or the cold when you are wet as well. That the fundamental difference between BC and many of the other outdoor stadiums that are referenced by the "no dome" side. There was a practical reason that the replacement to Empire was built with a roof. I remember clearly the collective cheer that went up when that announcement was made.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Who dug this one up?
Who do you think? :roll:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar