Jerel Myers WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Should Jerel Myers be cut?

Yes
13%
No
88%

Total votes: 48
maddeep73
Champion

I watched him get instructions from Wally before the kick.
Did anyone watch Wally after??? He was very calm about it, and put Myers back out there later. Makes me think that he, or the special teams coach was willing to take the blame for the mistake.

Betcha next time he says 'take a knee' no matter what if the same situation arises.

Anyone else think that Lockett's big night had Myers a little worried? He tried to make something outta nothing and got burned. He'll learn for next time.
Keepin' it real
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

The bottom line is that Myers learned his lesson.

1)You're not Ezra Landry
2)If it's kicked deep, take a knee
3)You will not be cut.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

mrlion wrote:He has to be the dumpest guy to ever play in the CFL. Thank God his f-up didn't cost the Lions the game.
1. We don't know what the coach told him as far as giving up the single. Yes he should have secured the ball better, but he's not the first returner to fumble on a kickoff or punt.

2. If he had broken past the Rens at the goal line and gone 110 yards to score a TD, people would be raving at the brilliant play on his part.

You don't see long returns coming out of the endzones without some level of risk being taken. Keep in mind that on long FG's you give up the single but get the ball from the LOS. If you run it out and end up on the 10 yard line to save the point, it's a risk taken.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Quote from Wally this morning:

"I think he understands now when the ball's kicked deep, you take a knee," said Lions head coach Wally Buono. "When the ball's kicked short, you maybe give it a go. You have young players, you've got to be patient with them. Obviously he feels bad about that but, fortunately, for us it didn't cost us."
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. If the ball is very deep, the returner is up to nearly full speed by the time he is approaching the goal line. The defending team has bunched up close to the goal line.

So if he sees a crease and gets to it, he could go a long ways.

I'd have to see the replay. I'm not sure if he decided at the last moment to concede the single. The problem was in not securing the ball.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Hindsight seems 20/20 to me but even trying something didn't make sense to me at the time. You are up by fifteen and the Renegades miss the field goal. Trying to run it out cut the lead to eight. Even if he hadn't fumbled and gotten tackled inside the five, you are putting the team in a hole it didn't need to be in. Thankfully it all didn't matter in the end but it was sure tough to watch.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I cant remember if this has been said in this tread already but, perhaps, besides his own desire to make a play, he was trying to save the single. Teams have been known to score 2 quick TDs with the time left on the clock. He could have thought it was important. What if he took the knee, then ottawa still managed to tie it up and win in OT. I bet some would be second guessing the knee. Personally, I think the fumble was by far his worst mistake. If he didnt fumble, we probably wouldnt have this thread.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:I cant remember if this has been said in this tread already but, perhaps, besides his own desire to make a play, he was trying to save the single. Teams have been known to score 2 quick TDs with the time left on the clock. He could have thought it was important. What if he took the knee, then ottawa still managed to tie it up and win in OT. I bet some would be second guessing the knee. Personally, I think the fumble was by far his worst mistake. If he didnt fumble, we probably wouldnt have this thread.
KIA, you are smoking some harsh stuff today. It should not be his spot to think in that situation, he should be given strict instructions on what to do, or not to do. Giving up the single would only give the Renegades the chance to tie the game with two TD's, as would be the case should he of ran out of the endzone saving the single point. Granted it would have to involve a two point conversion, but the idea would be to give yourself 35 yards of real estate for one point.

And yes if he didn't fumble and gave up the single this thread would not exsist due to it being the correct decision.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Quote from Wally this morning:

"I think he understands now when the ball's kicked deep, you take a knee," said Lions head coach Wally Buono. "When the ball's kicked short, you maybe give it a go. You have young players, you've got to be patient with them. Obviously he feels bad about that but, fortunately, for us it didn't cost us."
You do realize that the record for missed FG returns is 120+ yards. There have been several VERY LONG returns from very deep in the endzone.

By your definition and the score at the time, he should have automatically just given up the point.

Making a decision to run it out, only to get tackled on the 5 yard line would have also been challenged by many fans. Happens all the time when returners don't give up a point and get caught deep in their end of the field.

This is even more true in outdoor games where wind is a factor.
MacNews
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:I cant remember if this has been said in this tread already but, perhaps, besides his own desire to make a play, he was trying to save the single. Teams have been known to score 2 quick TDs with the time left on the clock. He could have thought it was important...
But Kellett shanked a PAT so conceding the single would've been fine.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I cant remember if this has been said in this tread already but, perhaps, besides his own desire to make a play, he was trying to save the single. Teams have been known to score 2 quick TDs with the time left on the clock. He could have thought it was important. What if he took the knee, then ottawa still managed to tie it up and win in OT. I bet some would be second guessing the knee. Personally, I think the fumble was by far his worst mistake. If he didnt fumble, we probably wouldnt have this thread.
KIA, you are smoking some harsh stuff today. It should not be his spot to think in that situation, he should be given strict instructions on what to do, or not to do. Giving up the single would only give the Renegades the chance to tie the game with two TD's, as would be the case should he of ran out of the endzone saving the single point. Granted it would have to involve a two point conversion, but the idea would be to give yourself 35 yards of real estate for one point.

And yes if he didn't fumble and gave up the single this thread would not exsist due to it being the correct decision.
I was only trying to further address the starting question of WHAT WAS HE THINKING. Didnt mean to suggest that he was right to try to run it out.

OTOH, I have had to starve myself all day for some medical tests I am having tonight. Maybe it is affecting my otherwise brilliant thinking :wink: :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back