Best BC Lions Owner?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Best BC Lions Owner?

Poll ended at Sun May 15, 2005 10:17 pm

Murray Pezim
No votes
Bill Comrie
5%
Nelson Skalbania
3%
David Braley
92%

Total votes: 38
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Ok Nelson Skalbania, we know you are out there lurking, cmon, show yourself!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Luke
All Star

This topic of this thread is something I've been thinking about recently. David Braley would have to be considered our best owner, just due to longevitiy alone. Nobody else has ever owned the team this long (although I would never have known that without the knowledge that the Lions were community owned for 45 years).

I'm happy to see that Lions fans appreciate what David Braley has done for the CFL in Vancouver. Especially considering the spot we're in now, it makes it that muchs sweeter, that Braley gets a return on his long investment.

It also makes me laugh, due to all the complaining that other team's fans do about Braley. A particular thread on esksfans.com, after our Leos beat them 29-9 in week 2, comes to mind.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David Braley :rockin:

Deep pockets, knows football, fantastic owner, saved football in BC, probably saved the CFL. I like how he gives so much to charity also. One criticism: I don't like how he undermined Tom Wright. Braley probably runs the CFL.

Pezim :thdn:

Skalbania :thdn:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:David Braley :rockin:

Deep pockets, knows football, fantastic owner, saved football in BC, probably saved the CFL. I like how he gives so much to charity also. One criticism: I don't like how he undermined Tom Wright. Braley probably runs the CFL.

Pezim :thdn:

Skalbania :thdn:
And your thoughts on Bill Comrie?

Since I created this thread over two years ago, only three others have made brief comments about Comrie's ownership, unlike the many comments that have been made about Pezim, Skalbania, and Braley.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yep I missed Comrie by accident.

He saved the team, brought us Eric Tillman and Dave Ritchie and thus the 1994 Grey Cup. :rockin:

But then it went downhill. I can't remember what happened. His son is an OK hockey player.

Some new owner came in and down it went. I lost interest after they fired Ritchie.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Yep I missed Comrie by accident.

He saved the team, brought us Eric Tillman and Dave Ritchie and thus the 1994 Grey Cup. :rockin:

But then it went downhill. I can't remember what happened. His son is an OK hockey player.

Some new owner came in and down it went. I lost interest after they fired Ritchie.
Comrie was a good owner, but the marketing wasn't drawing in flies. After the 93 GC win, you would expect a follow up of fans lining up for ST's, but that didn't happen and he saw the futility of carrying on losing money, and ran after the GC haul, asap.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

After the 93 GC win
Back to history class for you .... That would be the '94 Grey Cup win.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
After the 93 GC win
Figures I would write that, that is the same problem I had in school, knew the answer and put in the wrong one.....sigh. :lol:
Entertainment value = an all time low
lion24
Legend

Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:
After the 93 GC win
Figures I would write that, that is the same problem I had in school, knew the answer and put in the wrong one.....sigh. :lol:
That's OK, I got hand slapped for saying Swervyn Mervyn was out of Fresno State :oops: ........and I'm lion24!! :lol: :lol:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
LFITQ
Team Captain

lion24 wrote:
Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:
That's OK, I got hand slapped for saying Swervyn Mervyn was out of Fresno State :oops: ........and I'm lion24!! :lol: :lol:
That's ok we thought it was Lion24 in respect to Korey Banks! 8) :lol:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
lion24
Legend

LFITQ wrote:
lion24 wrote:
Rammer wrote:
That's ok we thought it was Lion24 in respect to Korey Banks! 8) :lol:
No, but i wouldn't have a problem with that either but Merv was the player who had the biggest impact on me becoming a Lion fan........isn't that special :bawl: :bawl: :lol:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

was it always community ownership before these 4??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Times change. And a good thing runs its course.

Braley came to depend on Wally more and more. Braley became more and more of an absentee owner. Braley got old, and started to dither on some issues. He got away from hard-headed business evaluations and decisions in some cases. He let the franchise get stale.

I just hope Wally and Braley decide to go with Neil McAvoy taking over as GM. If that happens, and if Neil cleans house and changes the philosophy, that is our best hope IMO. If Neil takes over with Wally as heavily involved overseer, we will see the same old, same old.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:19 pm
was it always community ownership before these 4??
Yes, and every owner except perhaps Skalbania inherited a mess.
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 pm
Times change. And a good thing runs its course.

Braley came to depend on Wally more and more. Braley became more and more of an absentee owner. Braley got old, and started to dither on some issues. He got away from hard-headed business evaluations and decisions in some cases. He let the franchise get stale.

I just hope Wally and Braley decide to go with Neil McAvoy taking over as GM. If that happens, and if Neil cleans house and changes the philosophy, that is our best hope IMO. If Neil takes over with Wally as heavily involved overseer, we will see the same old, same old.

Just IMO ...
Glen Suitor was on TSN1040 radio a few weeks ago with Sekeres and Price, and thought Geroy would be a good choice as the next GM of the BC Lions. Interestingly, Neil's name never came up. I don't know, but I don't suspect Geroy has cut his teeth enough in management to take that position. I am not saying he won't ever be ready but the next hire has to be the right one. We have an awful lot riding on this.

As for Braley, his judgment came into question for me when he said something to the effect that Wally will always have his job, or job for life, or however long he wants it (I don't have the exact quote). That just seemed to me to be a foolish declaration for such an astute businessman to make. Would he walk into the office of the guy running Orlick Industries for him and tell him he can sit in that chair as long as he wants to?? Highly doubtful.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar