Lions' offseason depth chart

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

I have to say last season was one of the strangest regarding national starters in all my years following this team.
Going back over the depth chart, Herdman-Reed was pulled as a starter after a loss to the Riders on July 27 that dropped the Lions to 1-6. He’s replaced by an by a career American back-up (Harris) and is dropped from the active roster for at least the next 2 games. Talk about rocking the kid’s confidence.
Of course that followed, Thompson being brought back after training camp and immediately getting his old starting spot back at safety. Then it was off to the corner after they realized Termansen was in over his head as a national starter but Thompson was eventually replaced too by Butler.

I think the plan was to start Americans at safety and corner but the talent wasn’t there at training camp. Of course, Harris and Butler were not brought back either.

Claybrooks is probably a better DC than Campbell but the latter brings much more with his experience as a head coach. Hopefully Herdman-Reed will flourish in a new environment. Ironically I hoped Claybrooks would have taken on the DC duties last year but I understand if he thought it might have been too much on his plate.
OV - 54:40
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:46 pm
Herdman and Konar were not starters on a weak linebacking corps last year. They won’t start this year but can be key contributors on special teams. Williams and Guzylak-Messam will be the two national starters on defence. The only question is whether IGM starts at weakside linebacker or safety.

we'll see what the new HC & DC think.

Guzlliak-Messam was ordinary at best at OLB, IMO and wether he could play safety is a question mark; Herdman has IMO, flashed very good MLB talent when he's played (when he first replaced an injured Sol-E) - one of those nose for the ball play-makers on D and disappointing he was not given the opportunity to develop further - i think he could become a top CFL MLB; Konar when he played OLB for the Esks was another nose for the ball guy who just made plays (vastly better than G-Messam showed last season)- maybe he's washed up somehow now or maybe he needs a coach who can recognise D play-making talent. Williams is an intriguing prospect - tremendous athleticism as seen in Combine #s and played well in Div I ball - might need to learn some of the Canadian game nuances at first though. And if 2 of Herdman, Konar & Williams start at MLB and OLB there won't probably be need to have a NI safety; but competiton in TC should be key and assuming you can find a good import safety (especially a new guy with no clue about the position in Canadian ball) is iffy, but CFL predictable maybe. Again, IMO - should have used a draft pick on a safety prospect to address need (but Jamie Harry might surprise if given a shot there - ballhawk for the GGs in U Sports ball)
Murdoch
All Star

I think Kevin Haynes will be the starter at MLB.

Williams needs a year to learn the game before starting.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Murdoch wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:00 am
I think Kevin Haynes will be the starter at MLB.

Williams needs a year to learn the game before starting.
Williams will be the starting WLB this year, he will get the same opportunity that Singleton did.
David
Team Captain

I wonder if the club plans to bring Korey Toomer back? I think he was misused last year as a rotational rush end. I'd like to see him get a shot at middle linebacker (and Herdman-Reed) with Haynes at WILL and Williams at SAM. I think Guzylak-Messam showed great potential as a rookie, but I'd like to see what he can bring to the safety position. He can always transition back to linebacker.

Toomer was with the Tampa Bay Dragons of the XFL then traded to the Seattle Dragons for SJ Green, and then the league halted play shortly afterwards.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

David wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 pm
I wonder if the club plans to bring Korey Toomer back? I think he was misused last year as a rotational rush end. I'd like to see him get a shot at middle linebacker with Haynes at WILL and Williams at SAM. I think Guzylak-Messam showed great potential as a rookie, but I'd like to see what he can bring to the safety position. He can always transition back to linebacker.

Toomer was with the Tampa Bay Dragons of the XFL then traded to the Seattle Dragons for SJ Green, and then the league halted play shortly afterwards.

Other then special teams, I don't remember Guzlyak-Messam playing defense during his rookie season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:23 am

Other then special teams, I don't remember Guzlyak-Messam playing defense during his rookie season.
His stats line for 2018 shows 10 GP 0 Defensive tackles and 8 special teams tackles.

Last year it was 18 GP (11 starts all at LB) 37 DT 14 ST and 1 sack. He registered 6 tackles against Hamilton in his first start at WIL. He would later have an 8 tackle 1 sack performance against Ottawa. I know it was only Ottawa but that's not bad considering they completed only 19 passes and ran the ball 16 times.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Sorry, to clarify, I meant Guzylak-Messam's first season starting. I didn't mean to imply that he was a raw rookie.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Champion

Adam Konar's stats line when he played a lot of D for the Esks in 2017(Statscrew says only 12 games played - not sure how many starts ?);

59 defensive tackles, 2 INTs, 2 FR, 1 FF and 1 sack - in 12 games (?)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 pm
Adam Konar's stats line when he played a lot of D for the Esks in 2017(Statscrew says only 12 games played - not sure how many starts ?);

All 12 were starts. The issue with Konar is that was his healthiest season in Edmonton. He only missed 1/3 of the season. As an Esk for 4 years he played 34 while missing 38 out of a possible 72 games. I think that is totally the reason why Edmonton released him. They were paying NAT starting money for a player they couldn't rely on to start.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

David wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:32 pm
Sorry, to clarify, I meant Guzylak-Messam's first season starting. I didn't mean to imply that he was a raw rookie.

Thanks for clarifying, because their are some people out there, who think a players first year starting is their rookie season.
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:12 pm
OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 pm

All 12 were starts. The issue with Konar is that was his healthiest season in Edmonton. He only missed 1/3 of the season. As an Esk for 4 years he played 34 while missing 38 out of a possible 72 games. I think that is totally the reason why Edmonton released him. They were paying NAT starting money for a player they couldn't rely on to start.
So, young players, who have flashed serious talent in the pros, and who have had some injury issues (not knees blown out / reconstructed or 4 concussions stuff) are bound to get cut or written-off ? Maybe by some GMs.