COVID-19 : How it could impact Lions/CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:48 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:50 pm
The one thing that might not fit for us in Canada is not to listen to politicians. Elected leaders - our PM and the Premiers of Canada of all political persuasions are pretty much in unison with the health experts and professionals on what needs to be done as well our roles as individuals and collectively as to how to flatten the curve of the spread.
That's a fair point. Canadian politicians seem to be in lock-step with the Provincial Health Officers. Dix has actually impressed me with his leadership skills in his handling of this crisis. :thup:

DH :cool:
I've long grown out of my phase where I might have voted NDP but have to give credit where it's due. Horgan and Dix along with Bonnie Henry are doing a great job of communicating information in a measured, concise and consistent basis as they try to navigate through this unpredictable crisis. Be it provincially or federally everybody seems to be working together for the common cause. Unlike their counterparts down south there are no mixed messages, exaggerations, falsehoods or politicization of the situation.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:47 pm
Unfortunately, while Canada is by no means out of the woods, we seem to be further along controlling the pandemic than the USA, where half of our roster and most of our coaches currently reside. So we're kind of at their mercy. Every day we're learning about new hot spots (Detroit, New Orleans etc.) in addition to the epicentre of NYC. Recovery will only be as strong as the weakest link and they're still just scrambling to get proper medical supplies to the states that need them the most.

I hope I am wrong, but it's hard to envision free-flowing borders in the next four months, minimum. I am sure the government and health authorities will be deathly afraid of a second wave of COVID-19 (likely to be more benign but still a problem until a vaccine is widely available).

I hope you're wrong too David but I think you are right. Things are going to get worse before they get better and 4 months may be what it takes to start trending in the right direction.

Your weakest link comment is ringing truer by the day. Down south many states are mandating all the social distancing measures statewide. Others however are doing it patchwork allowing such decisions to be made county by county meaning one county might be practicing strong measures while the county next door isn't. Unless they have what amounts to a border patrol at the county line there's nothing to stop the flow of people back and forth between counties taking the risk to heart and those trying to ignore it. It's an exercise in herding cats to come up with a cohesive national policy and direction. And of course they have their PINO at the top. Dealing with Trump is an exercise in herding cats and there's only one of him.
Murdoch
All Star

Curious if isolation protocol will lead to a baby boom or a higher divorce rate.

Expect Vegas will have odds on it.
David
Team Captain

Murdoch wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:54 am
Curious if isolation protocol will lead to a baby boom or a higher divorce rate.

Both but sadly, I think more of the latter than the former. I think many couples are struggling with newly discovered issues: feelings of confinement and lack of boundaries, disruption to routine, division of labour issues, and of course the inherent stressors and anxiety of losing one's job, the unknowns of the virus etc.

Yes, for some couples who can navigate this, they will be having more sex due to being indoors a lot. For others, conflicts and anxiety are decidedly large inhibitors for intimacy.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:54 am

Babies born during this baby boom will be known as Coronials
Huge Talent
Starter

So if we lose the season, can the CFL even survive?

I have a hard time thinking this virus can destroy a league that's been around for a hundred years. But I also don't know how it fares with a possible lost season, and then reduced attendance thereafter.

Let's hope things get back to normal soon! Maybe we get a 10 game season? 5 home games, all huge!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has issued a statement saying the season won't start before the beginning of July.

CFL says season will not begin before July

The CFLPA has issued its own statement supporting the league's efforts to plan a modified season when it's safe to do so.

https://cflpa.com/mr-4-7-2020/
BC 1988
Legend

These include indications from Canadian cities that they will not allow sporting events to take place before the end of June.
This statement is an acknowledgment of the City of Calgary's release last week (The GTA statement as well, but that one was wishy-washy about MLSE properties).
Huge Talent
Starter

Do you guys think anyone will go to a football game this July?

It's become evident what a low priority these types of events are, regardless of the economic impact.

I would think that the social distance warriors will be out in full force, ready to shame those even thinking about going to a game, even when it's permissable.

The NFL may start their season with empty stadiums, and that's in the fall. Is that feasible for the CFL? July 1 is a pipe dream. We may not even be allowed back in offices by then.

I think the CFL season is not happening. Hope I'm wrong.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Huge Talent wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:49 pm

It's become evident what a low priority these types of events are, regardless of the economic impact.

I would think that the social distance warriors will be out in full force, ready to shame those even thinking about going to a game, even when it's permissable.

The NFL may start their season with empty stadiums, and that's in the fall. Is that feasible for the CFL? July 1 is a pipe dream. We may not even be allowed back in offices by then.

it is my understanding that NFL is way more able to pay the bills without fans in the stands than the CFL.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:28 pm

it is my understanding that NFL is way more able to pay the bills without fans in the stands than the CFL.
Idunno. Their bills are much, much bigger. TV revenue might pay for the salaries of the players and a few coaches but that's only part of the story. A gander through the Denver Broncos Media Guide and I count 250 non-playing employees.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Huge Talent wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:49 pm

The way I look at it is that they won't be playing games until the medical experts have advised the provincial and federal governments that it's OK to resume play. If the medical experts have given that blessing then I don't think I'd hesitate to go to a game. Good lord I have cabin fever already from 3 weeks of spending my 3 day weekends sitting on the couch watching TV then driving to Mackenzie for 4 days of work and 4 nights sitting on the couch watching TV. :) I will so badly need an excuse to travel somewhere to do something 2 months from now. But that's just me.

Everybody will have to make their own decisions based on their own criteria, priorities, financial situation and the Covid case stats at that time. Quite frankly I think while allowing full stadiums might be the last thing to get a thumbs up there are a lot of other things that won't beat that by much.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think that much of what we consider normal life is a thing of the past until this thing either runs it's course or they develop a vaccine. The latter will eventually happen but most experts are suggesting that would be 18 months out. Until then, the season and a lot of other league's season's are dog meat. And it won't be about fan safety, it will be an occupational safety issue. Just like restaurants, medical offices, salons etc. are all closed because it is impossible to do those jobs while maintaining distance, trainers, team therapists and even players will have the same issues.

We have to get to the point where the medical wizards give the blessing first and even if we get our act here sorted out, nothing saying that other places will according to the same schedule. Since we depend so much on US born players in the CFL, if it is raging down there, those players will either have to quarantine or not be allowed across the border period. If they do pass quarantine, they are basically here for the season. No going home during bye weeks, no visits from friends or family. It wouldn't look very desirable for some under those conditions. On the bright side however, a lot of things can change in 2.5 months so we'll keep our fingers crossed.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

The league is looking for creative ideas. It also want to grow its global presence. This one is undoubtedly fraught with logistical challenges but what about starting the season in a CFL partner country that has been relatively COVID-free?

For example, Australia has "only" 5,919 total cases*, or 232 cases per 1M population and 2 deaths per 1M population. What's more, it has tested issued 12,184 per 1M population (by contrast, Canada has 17,872 cases, or 474 per 1M, 10 deaths per 1M and only 9,181 tests).

Another consideration is Mexico, which is also (currently) ranking very low globally with just 2,439 total cases and the infrastructure to host CFL games. This works out to but 19 people diagnosed with COVID 19 per 1M population and 1 death per 1M. The big wildcard is how they are trending as they have only tested 159 people per 1M population. I prefer Mexico as it lines up better TV-wise for time zones.

Yes, it would be massively expensive for travel and board for the first month of the season, and players would all need to be thoroughly tested prior to (and while) playing there, and temperatures could be checked upon landing etc., but it's an idea. Maybe a lousy one but something different. :wink:

*source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I have been watching the race between Brees and Brady to see who first takes over the pro football passing yardage leader from Cavillo. If this situation lasts long enough to seriously mess up the next NFL season, it might just save the record for AC. Personally, I am cheering for Brees to be in front by the time Brady retires, but better AC than Brady.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back