CFL free agency - negotiating window open

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL's official list of pending 2020 free agents is expected to be released this week. Ed Hervey has said upgrading the defensive line will be a priority, and Ed Willes says CFL most outstanding defensive player and Grey Cup champion Willie Jefferson is one of Hervey's prime targets.
As for Willie Jefferson, the Bombers’ standout defensive end, look for the Leos to make a big play for him in free agency this offseason. He has a history with GM Ed Hervey and Hervey has made the defensive line a priority this offseason.
Ed Willes column

With a coaching change and potential ownership change already on the agenda, this promises to be an interesting offseason for the Lions.
David
Team Captain

Love Willie Jefferson, but is this the best use of our SMS for the soon-to-be 29-year-old? He is going to command a massive FA salary that is going to have a ripple effect when paired with Mike's.

I guess if we release Sukh Chungh that would free up over $200K. It just seems that are some holes in our line-up that could be filled with "very good" FAs at a decent salary instead of finding one dominant DE then have to make more cuts to make it work.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Does not seem like Ed Hervey has learned from his mistakes. If he throws a lot of money after 1 player then it will just hurt us in other areas. You need to build a team not sign a few big agents and fill rest of roster with cheap players. Still feel Hervey should have been fired too, for have no faith in him making this team better and good enough to compete in West next year.

And heard Buono is helping Montreal search for its next GM and Geroy Simon will be on his list of recommendations. I hate to lose Geroy to Montreal and keep Hervey who could be fired after next season if Lions don't improve.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jefferson insists he wants to stay in Winnipeg.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

On Willie, I think the posters above me are right on. This player is a move in the wrong direction!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 pm
On Willie, I think the posters above me are right on. This player is a move in the wrong direction!
This is why I think Hervey's biggest interest in Jefferson is an interest in increasing Jefferson's FA popularity so the Bombers end up having to pay big to retain him.
cms22
Starter

i concur with the other posters.

too many holes to fill.......... find the next Willie Jefferson. i think we've been horrible on player development on hervey's watch.

even with someone like Willie Jefferson, it seems to me that he does so well because winnipeg, for whatever reason, is perfectly suited for him.. i think he won't do nearly as well here. i think another hervey failing is letting go too many players who were doing well in BC.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

cms22 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:05 am
i concur with the other posters.

too many holes to fill.......... find the next Willie Jefferson. i think we've been horrible on player development on hervey's watch.

even with someone like Willie Jefferson, it seems to me that he does so well because winnipeg, for whatever reason, is perfectly suited for him.. i think he won't do nearly as well here. i think another hervey failing is letting go too many players who were doing well in BC.
This is especially true for an older player.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

John White re-signed today with the Lions.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has released its official list of players who will become free agents on Feb. 11, 2020 unless they re-sign with their current team.

The Lions have 31 players on the list.
BARTEL Josh N P
BRIDGE Brandon N QB
BUNDY Marquis A WR
BUTLER Crezdon A DB
CHAGNON Frederic N LB
DAVIS Terrell N LB
DOZIER Branden A DB
EDWARDS Chris A DB
FOUCAULT David N OL
GODIN Edward N DL
GRYMES Aaron A DB
HARRIS Maleki A LB
JOHNSON Antonio A OL
JOHNSON Shaquille N WR
KONAR Adam N LB
LANKFORD Ryan A WR
LEMON Shawn A DL
LUKE Junior N DL
MBAYE Khadim N LB
MENARD David N DL
NEWSOME Jonathan A DL
O’BRIEN Danny A QB
PETERS Garry A DB
RENFROW Justin A OL
ROY Jean-Simon N OL
RUTLEY Brandon A RB
SIMONISE Rashaun N WR
STEWARD Hunter N OL
THOMPSON Anthony N DB
WILLIS Odell A DL
WOODMAN Josh N DB
OFFICIAL 2020 FREE AGENT TRACKER
David
Team Captain

Priority ‘A’ (must sign, to lose would be a set-back)

DOZIER Branden A DB
FOUCAULT David N OL
GRYMES Aaron A DB
JOHNSON Shaquille N WR
LEMON Shawn A DL
STEWARD Hunter N OL
MENARD David N DL

Priority ‘B’ (make every effort to sign, to lose would be unfortunate)

BRIDGE Brandon N QB
BUTLER Crezdon A DB
LUKE Junior N DL
NEWSOME Jonathan A DL
PETERS Garry A DB
RENFROW Justin A OL
RUTLEY Brandon A RB

:popcorn:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Jefferson will want to get paid. We can't afford that.

So who are the top 2 or 3 FA's you would like to get?

Wouldn't mind seeing Reilly and Walker reunited.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:15 pm
Jefferson will want to get paid. We can't afford that.

So who are the top 2 or 3 FA's you would like to get?

Wouldn't mind seeing Reilly and Walker reunited.
Assuming they can re-sign their own key players, the Lions' priorities in free agency should be the defensive line, linebacker and American wide receiver. Some of the top names at those positions include several ex-Lions:

DL:
Willie Jefferson (CFL's top defensive player may be too pricey for the Lions but he is a game changer reportedly targeted by Ed Hervey)
Ja’Gared Davis (54 tackles, 13 sacks in 2019 with Hamilton)

LB
Solomon Elimimian (ex-Lion who proved in 2019 he is still one of the league's best. There may be too much bad blood with Ed Hervey.)
Larry Dean (Led Edmonton's second-ranked defence with 86 tackles in 2019 after signing as a prized FA from Hamilton)
Cameron Judge (talented national would instantly upgrade the weakside LB position without affecting the ratio)
Micah Awe (another hard hitting ex-Lion with 44 defensive tackles, 1 INT in 10 games with the Argos in 2019)

WR
Derel Walker (1040 yards and 6 TDs in 15 games with the Argos in 2019)
Shaq Evans (Rider all-star is likely out of reach financially but 72 catches for 1334 yards makes him a prized catch)
Bralom Addison (CFL all-star with 95 catches for 1236 yards and 7 TDs in 2019 with Hamilton)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Looks like many holes to fill. By my count there are 14 2019 starters in that list of pending FAs. If you add Carter that makes 15. 9 of the starters are on the defensive side of the ball.

Secondary: TJ Lee is the only 2019 starter under contract for 2020.
OL: Norman and Figueroa are the only members of what was the starting 5 for the second half of the season under contract. Presumably Chungh would make a third member under contract. While he was disappointing I do wonder if he was ever healthy last season. Could he have a bounceback year? Can Hervey justify retaining him or is there a renegotiation and home-town haircut in Chungh's future if he wants to stay? I think it's worthy to note that Godber is not listed as a pending FA.
DL: For most of the final 3 or 4 games of the season the starting and rotational DL was Willis, Lemon, Newsome, Luke, Menard and Toomer. Toomer has been released and the rest are all pending FAs.

One thing Hervey did acknowledge last year was that when overhauling/rebuilding a roster it can't be done all in one season. His approach seems to be to concentrate on a couple of specific areas while tinkering with the rest. Last year he obviously focused on QB and to some extent protecting the QB with the addition of Chungh. It's easy to conclude the latter did not provide the desired results. However given the almost instant improvement when Bates replaced Chiu one has to wonder if coaching was a bigger factor in the poor OL performance in the 1st half of the season that was the personnel moves. Suffice it to say it looks very apparent that Hervey will be concentrating on the other side of the ball this offseason while tinkering with the offense.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
pennw
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:36 am
Last year he obviously focused on QB and to some extent protecting the QB with the addition of Chungh. It's easy to conclude the latter did not provide the desired results. However given the almost instant improvement when Bates replaced Chiu one has to wonder if coaching was a bigger factor in the poor OL performance in the 1st half of the season that was the personnel moves.
One thing seemingly overlooked by many on the improved O-line performance after Chiu was released is the fact the change in center to Philip Norman happened almost at the same time . I don't at all think Kelly Bates isn't a key factor , but in fairness to Chiu , there should be some leeway given in that it may have also have been that the previous centers were not up to snuff. Had he had the luxury of going 3 Americans perhaps he would have been more successful also. Center is , after all , a fairly important spot on the OL .
Having said that I am still happy they made the switch to Kelly Bates , he was after all a career BC Lion and Chiu's loyalty was always with the Als .