Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who Will Be BC Lions new coach?

Rick Campbell
71%
Paul Lapolice
13%
Jason Maas
13%
Mike Benevides
4%
Mark Washington
No votes
Marcel Bellefeuille
No votes
Chris Jones
No votes
Khari Jones
No votes
Mike O'Shea
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 24
SammyGreene
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:11 am
Well... Maas has just been canned by the Eskimos... https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/27/esks-part ... 5tNIdKVA1Q
I would not be surprised if Sutherland made this move knowing he has a very good chance of bringing Rick Campbell back to the franchise his family has been a huge part of.

Mass destined for BC now or are the RedBlacks interested in their former OC?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think Campbell will be high on Edmonton’s list. I hope Hervey realizes that Maas was unpopular in Edmonton. Despite his abilities as an offensive coach, he is not the answer for B.C.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Maas would be an easier sell in Ottawa than BC. He only coached in Ottawa for 1 season, but they went 12-6 (after going 2-16 in their inaugural season) and made it to the Grey Cup. I imagine Redblack fans haven't scrutinized the Eskimos as closely the past 4 seasons as Lions fans have.

Still I maintain that Maas should take a year off, work on rehabilitating his image, and then look for an OC or HC job in 2021. Just not in BC, ever.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

One ripple effect the Maas firing could have across the CFL is a dearth of offensive coordinators. Edmonton not only needs a new HC, they now need a new OC. Chamblin may survive in TO, but will The Chap? Paul LaPolice and Tommy Condell will be highly sought after HC candidates for the 3 current (possibly 4) HC vacancies. Now that Khari is under contract as the HC in Montreal, will he want to add an OC to his staff? Many Lions fans (this one included) would like to see Jarious Jackson not return as OC in BC. If the next HC in Ottawa is not Maas, they too will need an OC as I doubt Paopao is back in that role.

So depending on how the dominos fall in the next few weeks, the following teams could all be joining Edmonton in the search for an OC:
1. BC
2. Winnipeg
3. Hamilton
4. Toronto
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal

It must be a good time to be Travis Lulay.
maxlion
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:25 am
One ripple effect the Maas firing could have across the CFL is a dearth of offensive coordinators. Edmonton not only needs a new HC, they now need a new OC. Chamblin may survive in TO, but will The Chap? Paul LaPolice and Tommy Condell will be highly sought after HC candidates for the 3 current (possibly 4) HC vacancies. Now that Khari is under contract as the HC in Montreal, will he want to add an OC to his staff? Many Lions fans (this one included) would like to see Jarious Jackson not return as OC in BC. If the next HC in Ottawa is not Maas, they too will need an OC as I doubt Paopao is back in that role.

So depending on how the dominos fall in the next few weeks, the following teams could all be joining Edmonton in the search for an OC:
1. BC
2. Winnipeg
3. Hamilton
4. Toronto
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal

It must be a good time to be Travis Lulay.
Good reason to hire LaPolice or Maas. I like Campbell a lot, but LaPolice really deserves another HC chance and his offensive knowledge might tip the scales. Maas might be the best OC in the league, and has developed his leadership skills. But some questionable sideline behavior and choices for DC/STC. Tough choices but great options.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

With Maas' firing, I really hope the Lions aren't going to try for the Miracle Trifecta of Rich Lecheuler , Ed Hervey and Jason Maas.... all ex-Eskimos' management team
Don Miller
Legend

Maas is a good Offensive COach but his teams have lacked discipline. I still favour Campbell and or La Police if he is available. I think Maas ends up back in Ottawa.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:11 am
Well... Maas has just been canned by the Eskimos... https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/27/esks-part ... 5tNIdKVA1Q
Here's the problem when your GM is essentially a very weak leader.

These weaklings have to fire people eventually as they don't have the balls to step up and give honest feedback to the HC on what expectations are NOR to coach them on how to handle the role.

Jason Maas has had the misfortune to work directly under two GMs - the current Esks GM - a weakling and Ed Hervey.

Hervey set the tone for Maas and all the TSN hassle on mic'd up games should have never ever got going. Hervey with Maas and Claybrooks clearly didn't outline concerns mid year like real leaders NOR does he provide guidance. This sort also just fires them as it's then only one conversation.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Farhan Lalji, the Lions and Redblacks have formally asked Winnipeg for permission to interview Paul LaPolice.