Riders 45 - Lions 18 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:48 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:18 pm
I have no problem with anyone faulting Reilly's play of late. It is assuming that his motives are all selfish that I take issue with. Character assignation if you will. There is nothing he has said or done that gives any credence to such assumptions.
My Gawd. I should have left Saint Michael alone. LOL
and don't you forget it :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:02 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:18 pm
I have no problem with anyone faulting Reilly's play of late. It is assuming that his motives are all selfish that I take issue with. Character assignation if you will. There is nothing he has said or done that gives any credence to such assumptions.
My Gawd. I should have left Saint Michael alone. LOL
and don't you forget it :wink:
Ha ha.

Nice to have a chuckle after the debacle.

Chuckle. Debacle. Nice sounding words. Tackle. Another nice sounding word. Tackles. Ackles. My Gawd, I miss Bob Ackles. For his steady hand on the tiller. For his judgment. God Bless.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Yes, I think he undermined his Head Coach by not wanting to come out of the game. Was that selfish? Was it good for the team? Did it not put his health at risk? Did it prevent any opportunity for the backup to get needed game reps?
You call a player not wanting to come out of the game "undermining his head coach."

I call that being a professional. A competitor. A leader. He didn't want to abandon his teammates who weren't being pulled from the game. I don't blame him at all for that. I don't want a QB who wants to be pulled from the game.

I often harp on people here who criticize the coaching staff for everything (at least, that was under Buono). This is one situation where I have zero problem criticizing the coaching staff. Claybrooks is the HC. It's his decision to pull Reilly. If he's letting his players call the shots then he's lost the team.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Ottawa releases defensive end Jonathan Newsome. Could be a solid pickup for the Lions.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:46 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Yes, I think he undermined his Head Coach by not wanting to come out of the game. Was that selfish? Was it good for the team? Did it not put his health at risk? Did it prevent any opportunity for the backup to get needed game reps?
You call a player not wanting to come out of the game "undermining his head coach."

I call that being a professional. A competitor. A leader. He didn't want to abandon his teammates who weren't being pulled from the game. I don't blame him at all for that. I don't want a QB who wants to be pulled from the game.

I often harp on people here who criticize the coaching staff for everything (at least, that was under Buono). This is one situation where I have zero problem criticizing the coaching staff. Claybrooks is the HC. It's his decision to pull Reilly. If he's letting his players call the shots then he's lost the team.
No comment for The Pauser.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think the rookie HC has learned that letting his QB overrule him was a mistake. Probably won't happen again. There are far greater mistakes that have been made by the people running this team and some of those are not being corrected. And that is the greater concern to me.

There are mistakes that cannot be corrected or will have to wait to be corrected. Example: retaining J. Jackson, not retaining ST coach Reinbold and O line coach Randy Melvin, gutting the LB corps, over paying to get Reilly and Chung, Boyko, Konar.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

When a coach makes a decision to pull a player, run a certain play or kick rather than gamble in short yardage, players are not to undermine that decision. Quarterbacks get pulled, as do pitchers in baseball, goalies in hockey and position players in all sports. A player who disrespects a coach's authority is selfish and undermines the team.

Since Reilly was pulled for the first time in two years with three minutes left on Saturday, we should probably give the topic a rest. I hope Reilly and Claybrooks both learned a lesson.
The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:52 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

No comment for The Pauser.
That’s fine. It’s hard to comment when you’re wrong. I get it.
Roar you Lions roar!
Lui05
Rookie

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:35 pm
When a coach makes a decision to pull a player, run a certain play or kick rather than gamble in short yardage, players are not to undermine that decision. Quarterbacks get pulled, as do pitchers in baseball, goalies in hockey and position players in all sports. A player who disrespects a coach's authority is selfish and undermines the team.

Since Reilly was pulled for the first time in two years with three minutes left on Saturday, we should probably give the topic a rest. I hope Reilly and Claybrooks both learned a lesson.
I have nothing additional to add to this subject. I just wanted to jump in and say I'm 100% with you WCJ regarding your balanced comments that have placed blame in very many corners of the organization. I find it odd that some people here are incredulous that anyone would possibly have anything bad to say about one particular player on a putrid team. On a team that is lucky to not be 0-7, it stands to purrfect reason that everybody shares some of the blame.

However, B.C.Fan pretty much nailed my arguments and gave an excellent summation and closing argument for letting this go.

:whs:
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

Steven Wright
David
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:16 pm
That’s fine. It’s hard to comment when you’re wrong. I get it.
That's offside, Pauser. We can respectfully have differences of opinion on this board without instigating with inflammatory comments like "you're wrong."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lui05 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:17 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:35 pm

I have nothing additional to add to this subject. I just wanted to jump in and say I'm 100% with you WCJ regarding your balanced comments that have placed blame in very many corners of the organization. I find it odd that some people here are incredulous that anyone would possibly have anything bad to say about one particular player on a putrid team. On a team that is lucky to not be 0-7, it stands to purrfect reason that everybody shares some of the blame.

However, B.C.Fan pretty much nailed my arguments and gave an excellent summation and closing argument for letting this go.

:whs:
Thanks, Lui.

I do feel bad, to a degree, about criticizing Reilly, who is such a good guy and courageous soldier, pounded endlessly.

Thanks, David.

JohnnyMusso
Champion

I wonder if Reilly regrets now signing with the Lions. He thought this team would compete for the Grey Cup. Instead it needs a major rebuild and may not be competitive again during the term of Reilly's contract. Lions are such a mess I just cannot see them turning it around even next year. We may be in for some lean years like in the early 70's.
David
Team Captain

MikeAK wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:38 am
Am happy to say I was at the game last night. Even during a loss the CFL experience in person is a lot of fun. I had a blast.

...Other than that though, the CFL is such a great live experience. I love it and wish there were more early start games so I could get there more.
Thanks for bringing this up, MikeAK. I think this point gets lost as we're almost all too emotionally connected to this club. As someone who attends all games, I can say with a degree of certainty the vast majority of people who attend appear to have a great time.

Are blowouts fun? Of course not. But that doesn't stop fans (and lots of kids) at Lions home games from mugging it up for jumbotron time, or belting out "Sweet Caroline" or flexing for the "Flex Cam." Hell, the Lions didn't even get booed yesterday during or after that pathetic performance.

Now, this doesn't mean this free fall won't affect attendance. It most certainly will. But I wouldn't say those that casually attend Lions games won't ever attend another one after a pitiful blowout. This is more the (over) reaction of long-time fans.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:18 pm
MikeAK wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:38 am
Am happy to say I was at the game last night. Even during a loss the CFL experience in person is a lot of fun. I had a blast.

...Other than that though, the CFL is such a great live experience. I love it and wish there were more early start games so I could get there more.
Thanks for bringing this up, MikeAK. I think this point gets lost as we're almost all too emotionally connected to this club. As someone who attends all games, I can say with a degree of certainty the vast majority of people who attend appear to have a great time.

Are blowouts fun? Of course not. But that doesn't stop fans (and lots of kids) at Lions home games from mugging it up for jumbotron time, or belting out "Sweet Caroline" or flexing for the "Flex Cam." Hell, the Lions didn't even get booed yesterday during or after that pathetic performance.

Now, this doesn't mean this free fall won't affect attendance. It most certainly will. But I wouldn't say those that casually attend Lions games won't ever attend another one after a pitiful blowout. This is more the (over) reaction of long-time fans.

The in-game atmosphere this year is much better than it has been in ages. Saturday’s crowd was bolstered by a lot of green jerseys but there were also many families with young kids and, according to the radio postgame show, the field was full of kids having a ball for an hour after the game.

I heard a few boos in the stands but not as many as one might expect given the team’s performance. Thanks to Ryan Lankford for bringing us all to our feet twice with electrifying kick returns. I didn’t have an excuse to stand at all during the previous game against Edmonton.

I also got to take home an expensive souvenir when I caught the ball on the Riders’ last field goal. It was only the second time in 20 years of sitting in the end zone that I caught a ball. The previous one was thrown into the stands by Dante Marsh after a game-clinching interception.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Basically refusing to ever come out of a game even when you're banged up is not helpful if you consider the need for a back up to develop. Danny O'Brien is fine with being a back up and he and Reilly are tight and this is the back up Reilly wanted.

There are times when a back up simply gives the other team a bit of a different look - if that QB is not a clone like O'Brien is with Reilly. It also gives your team an impetus to play.

Cody Fajardo at half time was asked by TSN about the big hit he ran right into and his response was professional saying something like he needs to be less "selfish" and that's true. He recognized he has other players to grind who can do the job versus him having to look like a hero and grind out a few more yards. Getting injured isn't smart when you're the starter.

Selfish suggests no one else can do it if you can't do it.

Selfish says as long as your the QB no other QB can be developed. The Lions now no longer dress 3 QBs something they could still do and help that 3rd guy develop too.

Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with Reilly nor his desire to go down with the ship but a real pro move would be to realize that it's not working and let someone else get a shot.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy