Riders 38 - Lions 25 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TurfGuy
prospect

College:
2014-2017: Phillip appeared in 40 games over a four-year stay at Bethune Cookman. He started all 11 games at tackle as senior in 2017 and earned a third-team All-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference selection.
[/quote]

If I had a choice over a Bethune Cookman (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) D-I FCS player that is 6'4, 318 lbs, vs a Nebraska (B1G Conference, one of the Power 5) D-1 FBS player that is 6'8, 325, I know who I would select to pencil at Right Tackle.

If the Lions decide to look for an International tackle, they will NOT find a specimen such as Knevel (size, athleticism, excellent footwork, proven when he's been called upon last year and last Saturday). For those tackles are all playing in the NFL.

Its time the Lions look at what is in their house, a 2nd year player (not expensive), knows Jacksons offence, and a ratio breaker....no brainer from where I'm sitting.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Knevel. Perhaps it is time for Knevel to get his opportunity. This fan thinks the deeper problem is with the overall weakness of the pass protection scheme. Lots of support on this site for putting Knevel in at right tackle. No objection from this fan.

Norman. He might get his chance to play tackle, the position he played in college.

Boyko. Highly rated draft pick. Had NFL interest. Struggling.

Foucault. High draft pick. Had NFL interest. Strugging.

Boyko and Foucault have failed, although it is not all their fault.

Steward. Why was he benched?

4 NATs and 1 INT.

This fan has no vested interest in who gets the start at right tackle next game. NAT or INT? No matter to this fan. Hopes are dimmed. Too many changes. Now we have injuries. The system and plays are not well designed for pass protection. Our right tackle, whichever player it has been, has been hung out to dry.

If Figueroa is healthy he gets the start at left tackle.

I had hopes in the last couple of years, that with many high draft picks for the OL accumulating, that we might go with 4 or even 5 NATS.

Will Knevel get a start? Will it be Norman? Back to Boyko or Foucault? Dunno. It has been a shambles.

This fan is not advocating for any particular player to get the start at right tackle. And the failures in pass protection are not all on the individual play of the O Linemen.

We will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Interesting article with Claybrooks, quotes focused on concern for his QB's health. https://3downnation.com/2019/07/22/lion ... is-taking/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:43 pm
Interesting article with Claybrooks, quotes focused on concern for his QB's health. https://3downnation.com/2019/07/22/lion ... is-taking/
Thanks for posting the article, Ernie
“The thought process behind that was that Mike didn’t want to leave his teammates out there. Mike being the leader that he is, the trooper that he is, he didn’t want to come out of the game,” Claybrooks said.

Claybrooks wanted to take him out but Reilly wanted to finish with his teammates.

“I’m never going to ask the rest of my guys to do something that I won’t do. We were in it together, we got our butts kicked together…so I’m certainly not going to bow out and say I’m going to take a minute-and-a-half off,” Reilly said.

“That’s not how we operate. We win together, we lose together and we finish the game together even if it’s out of reach.”
I think this is nonsense from Reilly.

Take him out, when the game is out of reach. Take him out in short yardage. Take him out as change of pace. Develop the backup. Limit the number of hits the QB takes.

Just imo.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1340535
Halford & Brough had a surprisingly good interview with Claybrooks this morning (starting with playing a clip of him and making fun of it). Their pointed questions exposed the lack of answers he has other than stock responses.
Blitz
Team Captain

TurfGuy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:39 pm
College:
2014-2017: Phillip appeared in 40 games over a four-year stay at Bethune Cookman. He started all 11 games at tackle as senior in 2017 and earned a third-team All-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference selection.
If I had a choice over a Bethune Cookman (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) D-I FCS player that is 6'4, 318 lbs, vs a Nebraska (B1G Conference, one of the Power 5) D-1 FBS player that is 6'8, 325, I know who I would select to pencil at Right Tackle.

If the Lions decide to look for an International tackle, they will NOT find a specimen such as Knevel (size, athleticism, excellent footwork, proven when he's been called upon last year and last Saturday). For those tackles are all playing in the NFL.

Its time the Lions look at what is in their house, a 2nd year player (not expensive), knows Jacksons offence, and a ratio breaker....no brainer from where I'm sitting.
[/quote]

No brainer to me either. Kneval should be given the opportunity to start.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/22/lion ... is-taking/
“We have to decide on making adjustments on scheme, making adjustments personnel-wise to make sure Mike’s upright,” Claybrooks said.

“You want to make a thought out, rational, educated decision on the facts that you have in front of you. We’ll convene as a staff and convene as an organization and management and we’ll decide on which direction we want to go to get this team better.”

“When you go into a new situation with a fairly new staff and just a bunch of jigsaw pieces trying to fit this puzzle together, sometimes you try to put a square peg in a round hole. We have to identify is it just that we’re slow learners? Or is it just that we have to adjust to things that we’re doing? Or is it just the people that we have in spots can’t get it done? We have to decide on what we need to do,” Claybrooks said.

“Success doesn’t happen overnight, especially when you’re trying to get a lot of pieces to fit into place. We’re not writing off the season by any means.”
“We have to decide on making adjustments on scheme, making adjustments personnel-wise." -- One third of the way through the season.

"We'll convene." -- Good start.

Do we have any answers in there on how to fix the mess?

* ''put a square peg in a round hole''

* ''slow learners''

* ''adjust to things that we’re doing'' Bingo. Offensive playbook. Take Reilly out, at times, before he gets knocked out. It is late, but figure out how to protect the quarterback.

* ''the people that we have in spots can’t get it done''

* ''We have to decide on what we need to do'' We are 1 and 5. The horses are out of the barn. There are coaches and GMs out there that would know how to fix it, but we just might not have them here.

Systems. Offence and Defence. Get a system in place that protects the QB, as discussed in a number of threads on this site.

Personnel. Get a rush end or two. Sort out the mess in the O Line.

Leadership. Decide who leads the team. Mike Reilly or DeVone Claybrooks.

The offence has put up some decent numbers.

The defence has been a sieve at key times. Many, many missed tackles. No pressure on the QB.

STs have not been good enough. Large returns given. Tricked.

Just imo.

Blitz
Team Captain

They are only words and not actions at present but I liked what I read, in terms of Claybrooks comments on TSN this week.

Certainly, that he mentioned scheme is a sign of hope. At least its not the same old "Our players gotta execute better' mantra' as the only solution to the problem.

Claybrooks comments:

“We have to decide on making adjustments on scheme, making adjustments personnel-wise to make sure Mike’s upright,” Claybrooks said.

You want to make a thought out, rational, educated decision on the facts that you have in front of you. We’ll convene as a staff and convene as an organization and management and we’ll decide on which direction we want to go to get this team better.”

When you go into a new situation with a fairly new staff and just a bunch of jigsaw pieces trying to fit this puzzle together, sometimes you try to put a square peg in a round hole.

We have to identify is it just that we’re slow learners? Or is it just that we have to adjust to things that we’re doing? Or is it just the people that we have in spots can’t get it done? We have to decide on what we need to do.

Success doesn’t happen overnight, especially when you’re trying to get a lot of pieces to fit into place. We’re not writing off the season by any means.”
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
aklawitter
All Star

Has Jarious been fired yet? No? Ok, see you next week
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

aklawitter wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:57 am
If you are waiting for Jackson to be fired, it will be "See you next year"....hopefully.
oldhyack
prospect

The Lions are proving once again they are a "quarterback killing" franchise. By poor o-line coaching and/or improper play calling, our greatest asset is going down the Lulay road, and will soon have an orthopedic surgeon on speed dial.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

oldhyack wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 am
The Lions are proving once again they are a "quarterback killing" franchise. By poor o-line coaching and/or improper play calling, our greatest asset is going down the Lulay road, and will soon have an orthopedic surgeon on speed dial.

I'd not suggest it's O-line coaching but more personnel related and learning.

Caught today's practice and it was one of the more up tempo practices I've taken in with a lot of action and some one-on-one play and a lot of coaching 'em up by the HC and others.

Practices today are far different with the less hitting and pads but all teams face that. I will say that Rod Black's comment to Bro Jake last Saturday before the BC game is certainly true in that the bottom teams might be hurting due to the changes and the earlier kickoff to the season. Black questioned why they CFL did it. Sounds to me like he's not a fan of the early kickoff.

I'd be interested how others see things when they take in practice especially if any doubt Duron Carter.

I'd like to see the Kickers do a bit more individually in their down time and especially the place kicker who might just need to pull off a chip shot short kick sometime when we need it. It's not like you're asking the guy the to kick his leg off as practicing chipping the ball is not distance. It might be that the place kicker does this on his own time but just generally don't see that much of him on his own doing stuff. Maybe too much of a former soccer coach lol
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:40 pm
I'd be interested how others see things when they take in practice especially if any doubt Duron Carter.
I haven't seen any regular season practices but I took in 11 or 12 training camp sessions. Apart from the first day, which had a great tempo, the pace was much slower than in past years, and not just due to the number of padded sessions being cut in half. Most practices I saw consisted mainly of players standing around walking through lessons on scheme and technique, especially on defence. Things picked up for 10 minutes of team play each practice but with no meaningful contact it's always impossible to gauge the effectiveness of offensive and defensive lines until they go live against a real opponent.

I also didn't like the fact that Odell Willis and Duron Carter were allowed to spend time wandering around and chatting with teammates during stretching sessions in camp when everyone else was lined up and following the lead of team captains. Training camp had a country club atmosphere with no energy, which is how the Lions have often played during their first six games.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:57 am

Exactly where I am.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC Fan:

Willis at practice can do that wandering but now they have team leaders leading the stretching and Duron like Burnham is one of them.

Caught some of yesterday and a bit less today and more one on one and in depth coaching is happening.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy