Riders 38 - Lions 25 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q1

BC. 2 out. Long pass inc.

SSK. Missed tkl. Driving. Rouge. 1-0.

BC. Rutley for 16. Hitch. Game plan vs pressure. Rutley for 1st. BR for 3. Sack on controlled blitz. FG 3-1.

SSK. Evans for 36. Moore 39, TD. 8-3. Porous D. Huge hole in zone.

BC. Shaq for 53. Carter yaps, no call. Time count. D’oh. Call Sol, tkl. Reilly ticked. 8-6. Solly future coach. Carter and Burnie still not getting separation.

SSK. Soft zone. 1st. 1st. 1st. Gamboa Int.
8-6. For us, not a bad quarter, but we are behind. SSK looks better prepared
………
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q2

#16 for 6. Cottoy 1st. Rut for 1st. Rut for 6. Jarious discovers run game in game 6. #16 rarely breaks a tkl. Not much run after catch. FG. 9-8.

SSK. Run for 5. Missed tkl again by Thompson, 2x. Not talented enough imo. Tricked on STs. Over turned. Lucky for us. We are just not prepared. Easy target.

BC. Fumble but recovered. Sack. Fumble, recovered. Foukaued up.

SSK. 2 out. Surprisingly we are up 9-8. Rouge. Holding on BC.

BC. Rut stuffed. 2 out. Foucault beat like a drum. Safety. 10-9. No prep vs Hughes.

SSK. Run stuffed. 2 out. Punt.

BC. 2:30 left. Run stuffed. MR for 1st. Burnham pulls it out of the air, as he can do. Roughing #16 makes a nice run. Terrible call RPO. P.I. MR for TD. Why not go for 2? 16-10.

SSK. Return TD. 104 yards. Oh My Gawd. 4 missed tackles. 17-16.

BC. Time count. Reilly shouting. Embarrassing. Claybrooks looks lost. Rut for 6. 17-16 at the half.
……….

Passing good, 173. Running good, 68. Pass pro no good. STs awful again. No pass rush. Defence not good enough.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q3

SSK. 2 out. Rouge 18-16.

BC Shaq 1st. Shaq 1st. Rut 1st. Rut for 6. Cottoy 1st. #16 stopped. FG 19-18.

SSK. Cody 1st. 2 missed tackles. Driving. Cody 20 yards. Grymes deflection. Roughing when we had a stop. Penalty again. Blitz effective. Cody 1st. Cody TD. 11 play drive. Defence a sieve. Willis useless. Fajardo injured. 25-19. 46 yards rushing on the drive.

BC. Mackie. Burnham taken down short.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q4

BC. 3rd and 1. 1st. Carter for -1. Burnham for 1st. Penalty on Norman. Sack. Fumble. Punt.

SSK. Driving. Evans for 36. Cody 1st. Powell TD. 31-19. 12 point lead.

BC. 7:07 left. Burnham 1st. Reilly won't slide. Shaq 1st. Purifoy Int.

SSK. Evans TD. 50 yards.

BC. 3:30 left. Game over.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How does the team look?

In the words of Charles Barkley, after a loss with Philadelphia: ''Bad team, Man. Bad f**king team.''

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Reilly wants to stay in game. Claybrooks lets him. WTF. He is obviously in huge pain.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As a coach, Claybrooks is a dead man walking.

swervynmerv
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:02 pm
As a coach, Claybrooks is a dead man walking.
I’m firing Hervey first. He created this mess both personnel wise and by most likely forcing Claybrooks to keep Jarious . Also let Devon hire an inexperienced staff.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Did Hervey and his staff use the team’s US recruiting funds at all inclusives in Mexico during the winter?
This team simply lacks talent in many areas and that’s all on the GM.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re Ed Hervey:

He hired Chris Jones. Good.

He hired Jason Maas. Good.

He came to BC. He now seems to think he is a brilliant GM. Arrogance out of control, with an absentee owner.

He hired Claybrooks. Not looking good.

He kept Jarious as OC. Not looking good.

He released a ton of players doing very well for other teams.

Chungh? Over paid.

Reilly? Too much control given. Never taken out of game, for superstition or conceit? He is now wounded and exhausted.

Carter? Waste of space. All he needs is more touches to be a focus of the offence? This fan agrees with all those coaches and GMs who let him go.

Eskimo fascination? Weird.

And the team is an abysmal mess.

Just imo, after 6 games. Back later ...

Coach Ditka
prospect

Thank you BC Lions for taking the crappy ESKS and promising MIKE to moon!! He's totally getting the crap kicked out of him and you still have the crappy players trying to pretend they are a real CFL'ers...
cms22
Starter

very disappointing...

the offence, both running and passing, were pretty good. arguably very good. only real major blemish is hughes 3 sacks

defense and special teams is another story....... no rush pass, poor tacking. long kr td.

i put most of this on the GM....... you can't have so many new players playing out of position. add in starting the year with 11 canadian starters.....and this is second year in a row we went with new players.... and then having to replace termanson on short-notice (starting him was a obviously horrible idea). and then picking up thompson days before the opener.

i agree with others that it doesn't seem like we have been developing enough young players from the US.. we should easily be able to find players on defense that way. passing rushing DE, LB and DB's. i mean, there are literally thousands of them leaving NCAA (at all levels) each year.

solly would definitely help that defense right. now. simply his presence.... but we spent too much money on others.
cms22
Starter

i really dislike duron carter and don't think we should have picked him up. i think he is a cancer.

but for those questioning his actual production, he is #2 in the CFL in # of receptions... has a game on a bunch of players but still that's alot of catches.
MikeAK
All Star

Yikes. Not looking good.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I was working and never watched the game but heard the tail end of it on the radio. It seems the Lions were competitive for a half and then fell apart. Heard from TSN panel, their OL again was terrible and they suggest changes have to be made or Reilly is going to get hurt.

Also Claybrooks to me is not very smart. Reilly bangs up his knee and he lets Reilly go back out there again when Lions down by 3 scores. Stupid. Who cares about the points. All they need to do is win 2 of the 3 games. This coach lets the players makes the decisions and Reilly will end up getting hurt in a game when they are going to lose.

Personally I am not impressed with Claybrooks. Does he have a 2 or 3 year contract? At the end of the season, Lions need to clean house and fire Hervey and Claybrooks. This team is a joke. They are now as bad as the Argos and will be lucky to win 4 or 5 games.

The guys on the radio said they have no push rush and never make any big plays at all. Their defence is terrible and what is the point of spending $750,000 on a QB and surround him with a team that cannot compete for a full 60 minutes and a defence that is horrible and OL that cannot protect him.

Boyko needs to go. Not getting the job done. I would like to see Jon Gott here. He is free agent and surely he must be better than what we have..

Hervey needs to make major changes soon or else this season is lost and he likely will be looking for a job next year. I would not renew his contract with the team he build this year. Rather see Buono back than Hervey and Claybrooks next year.